HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 3:44 AM

This is my favorite tower in Atlanta, and I feel like it doesn't get the love it deserves when the topic of best tower in Atlanta comes up.

I always thought it looked like the towers of the Notre-Dame Cathedral.

Also, totally agree about the lobby.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
This is lobby.
At some point around 1998, they realized coating 800 ft of tower in granite was freaking expensive. Long live 191.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 11:48 AM

After I made the post I went for a morning run. This is it at about 9AM (Nov 5).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
A little "San Fransisco" skyline action from North Ave this morning.

The fog does look very nice with the skyline. I love how the vibe of ATL can change from gothic to nice sunny colorful and warm depending on the weather. The city has many moods and modes.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 11:04 PM

Another “building of the day” and a move from downtown to midtown. One Atlantic Center aka: IBM Tower stands 250m/820’ with 50 floors. It is 3ed tallest and when completed in 1987 was the tallest. It also has a mini twinish Regions Plaza. While the front and south street levels are lacking it does have a decent park on the north, though not super inviting. Added BONUS: The east has a view of the beautiful Opus #2.

Must say I have always had an ambivalence about it. While overall I like the design 2 things bother me. 1) The multi floor window design gives the illusion that the building is not as tall as it actually is. 2) The crown (apropos for sure) looks like it belongs on a Disney princess’ castle.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 2:38 AM

Quote:

Must say I have always had an ambivalence about it. While overall I like the design 2 things bother me. 1) The multi floor window design gives the illusion that the building is not as tall as it actually is. 2) The crown (apropos for sure) looks like it belongs on a Disney princess’ castle.
Now that you mention that about the windows, i cant help but see it. However, growing up driving into atlanta from the burbs, this was always one of the buildings that symbolized the city to me. I loved the pyramidal crown and the little golden peak.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 3:02 AM

This building is generally considered one of Philip Johnson's better postmodern towers, and it shows you just how much of an architecture nerd he was. At bottom, this building is a combination of the shaft of the Tribune Tower in Chicago (Raymond Hood) and the crown of the Trinity Church in Boston (H. H. Richardson). While both are famous buildings in their own right, the combination of these two design references creates something unique. That's probably why this building has aged so well compared to other postmodern towers of similar vintage and cost (see, e.g., most of Johnson Burgee's late '80s work).

A similar combo is visible in the 191 Peachtree tower. Johnson used a similar window pattern for the shaft of the tower (stone spandrels every three floors), but instead joined two shafts together, and topped them both off with adapted versions of the crowns of the Blenheim Palace corner pavilions (John Vanbrugh). At the base, he added a glass-roofed atrium with copies of the egg-shaped chandeliers from Grand Central Terminal in New York (Warren and Wetmore). Again, he's clearly stealing from others, but the result is a building that looks like nothing else. That's art.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 5:34 AM

techsquare1, thank you for one of the most thoughtful and informative comments I've read on this board in awhile. These two works by Philip Johnson and John Burgee indeed are art, and you've helped explain what makes them so.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 4:16 PM

North Midtown used to have a dramatic, gothic look with One Atlantic Center, the mini-me next to it, Four Seasons, Arts Center Tower, and 1280 West all in a similar style.

Now they're so crowded by other highrises the effect is lost--but it's definitely for the better!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
techsquare1, thank you for one of the most thoughtful and informative comments I've read on this board in awhile. These two works by Philip Johnson and John Burgee indeed are art, and you've helped explain what makes them so.
I love the lobbies of both of these buildings. I was disappointed when dewberry gutted the campanile lobby, because I thought that was really tasteful as well. Hopefully both building owners will resist the temptation to make major alterations to the lobbies of both of these buildings over the next few decades. I’m sure people notice the value of the exteriors, as I do. Beautiful buildings

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 6:31 PM
Kev K

Quote:
... it does have a decent park on the north, though not super inviting...
Great Post Julien! This has always been my #2 behind 1180 due to its confidence & majesty for what was a small neighborhood at the time.

IMO, the park next door is a huge asset to this growing corner of Midtown. It is the closest green respite from city life for thousands of residents. The Hampton Inn high-rise could've leaned into that next door, but instead did em dirty.

*edit - most underrated fountain in the city, right?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 11:58 AM

Another “building of the day”. Back downtown to The Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel at 220m/723’ and 5th tallest with the highest floor count at 73. This Portman building built in 1976 towered above the city and was the tallest hotel in the world when opened. Also it was predated and modeled on the Hyatt Regency addition. So like One Atlantic Center it has a mini me. Its unique and defining design dominated the ATL skyline and seem to be the first step into the “big city” league. Then just one year later Portman took the same design added a meter in hight and built in Detroit (Renaissance Center).

In 2008 a tornado hit downtown and blew out over 500 windows. They could not be replaced and they ended up having to replace all buildings windows with a newer design.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 4:40 PM
Back on the road again

Great pics and great history. Always striking to see a duplicate building in downtown Detroit.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Another “building of the day”. Back downtown to The Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel at 220m/723’ and 5th tallest with the highest floor count at 73. This Portman building built in 1976 towered above the city and was the tallest hotel in the world when opened. Also it was predated and modeled on the Hyatt Regency addition. So like One Atlantic Center it has a mini me. Its unique and defining design dominated the ATL skyline and seem to be the first step into the “big city” league. Then just one year later Portman took the same design added a meter in hight and built in Detroit (Renaissance Center).

In 2008 a tornado hit downtown and blew out over 500 windows. They could not be replaced and they ended up having to replace all buildings windows with a newer design.
As a side, I believe the Bonaventure Hotel in L.A. (1976), albeit considerably shorter, was also similar to the Atlanta Peachtree Plaza and Detroit Renaissance Center designs.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 1:11 PM

Happy Thanksgiving

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 6:00 PM

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Not hating on ya man, but this is way old.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Very cool photo - thanks for sharing

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 7:09 PM

Another “building of the day” and this time it is off to Buckhead (don’t run in Buckhead much so not as many pics to pick from) for the Waldorf Astoria. It was built in 2008 (worst of times) stands 580’/177m and the 12th tallest building. It has 42 floors although the floor count doesn’t match the Condo numbers. I really love this building’s design and look. To me it has a timeless look that will still be appreciated in 100 years from now when all the glass towers with overhang balconies my look VERY outdated. Oddly it has had two semi-racist sounding names (The Mansion and then Mandarin Oriental) and even sold in bankruptcy for ⅓ of the construction costs. Also with only 45 condos that makes for a small/weak HOA and seems ripe for ongoing troubles for such a large building with a dominating hotel.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta