HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
And we're offering them freakin' Edmonton? Christ!
Big words coming from someone from Cobourg or Stratford, or whatever small town you live in...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 5:44 AM
BANNED

The World Cup is the Biggest Thing but I'm glad MTL opted out. Complete waste of time and money.

Canada will only get the scraps - group stage, knockout round. That's it.
Nobody remembers where Ghana lost to Panama in the group stage, nobody remembers where Panama lost to Algeria in the knockout stage.

There's no prestige on the line for MTL, one of the few cities in the world that has held both the Summer Olympics and a full blown World Fair and is on the F-1 circuit (actually, may be the only city that has pulled off all 3) Preliminary rounds of the World Cup? Pfft! later...

Besides, FIFA is voracious and one of the most corrupt organizations in the world. They will make financial demands that will require a huge buy-in on the part of host cities, a buy-in that may not materialize. And FIFA will not care. They want their money. Up front.

Last edited by Al Ski; Jul 7, 2021 at 7:02 AM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ski View Post
The World Cup is the Biggest Thing but I'm glad MTL opted out. Complete waste of time and money.

Canada will only get the scraps - group stage, knockout round. That's it.
Nobody remembers where Ghana lost to Panama in the group stage, nobody remembers where Panama lost to Algeria in the knockout stage.

There's no prestige on the line for MTL, one of the few cities in the world that has held both the Summer Olympics and a full blown World Fair and is on the F-1 circuit (actually, may be the only city that has pulled off all 3) Preliminary rounds of the World Cup? Pfft! later...

Besides, FIFA is voracious and one of the most corrupt organizations in the world. They will make financial demands that will require a huge buy-in on the part of host cities, a buy-in that may not materialize. And FIFA will not care. They want their money. Up front.
Barcelona, Berlin, Melbourne, and LA(+Long Beach) have done the trifecta as well.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
We're not taking it seriously. It's actually insulting. We should just drop out of the damn thing altogether and preserve some self-respect.
and run the risk of not being in the tournament ????????

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 10:34 AM

I doubt Skydome would replace Montreal in this. I can't see the Jays giving up the amount of time that would be required to vacate the place to set it up for soccer. They can't flip the lower bowl seating around as easy as they used to before they redid the infield and that's not even factoring in the need to put grass in.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Actually, Manaus is considered the poster child for wasting money on a stadium that sits unused after the tournament, and the consensus seems to be that it never should have been used as a venue. It was a controversial choice right from the get-go, and I recall contentious opinions and reporting at the time in 2014.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...on-fifa-manaus
Looks like a good example of what not to do... throwing money at building an unnecessary stadium for a one month tournament. Luckily Edmonton won't be doing that. So we good.

Let's face it, FIFA is lucky that Canada is buying into this circus in the first place.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 12:24 PM

FIFA is up there with the Olympics with being too expensive for places to want to host, let alone the corruption. Hopefully Montreal saying "no" is the start of more places saying "no" to their demands.

We should move on from soccer and focus on joining the USA's 2031 Rugby World Cup bid instead

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 12:36 PM

The World Cup is a massive event. Not sure how these things could be measured but I would not at all be surprised if it’s bigger worldwide than the Olympics. And the hosting countries/cities are a big aspect of it. It’s huge people.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 1:19 PM

Quote:
I agree that in terms of a financial aspect, it is a waste of money. But in terms of advancing the sport in this country (and let's face it, we can use all the help we can get in that domain !), it will do wonders. This is where Soccer Canada comes in. They should have lobbied harder will all levels of government to make sure that at least our 2 largest cities stay on as hosts. Ahh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
It would be nice if Vancouver stepped back in seeing as Montreal dropped out.
I hope so as well.

Quote:

I wouldn't call hosting a world fair "prestigious".

Literally any city on earth can host it. Knoxville, Spokane, Plovdiv (Bulgaria), Tsukuba (Japan), and Yeosu (South Korea) have all hosted the world fair. Hardly noteworthy cities, wouldn't you agree?

Now, hosting the Summer Olympics is definitely prestigious (although I wouldn't say the same thing about the winter Olympics).

F1 as well, considering only 20-25 cities in the world get to host it every year. Currently, the only event that puts Montreal on the world map is the F1.

I would also say that hosting an ATP Masters 1000 tennis tournament is up there in terms of prestige as well. And luckily for Toronto and Montreal, both of them do, on alternating years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Barcelona, Berlin, Melbourne, and LA(+Long Beach) have done the trifecta as well.
Indeed. Those are all Montreal-esque cities, funily enough.

Been to Barcelona and Berlin. Love them both. Have a friend in Melbourne. Hearing him talk, it's basically a carbon copy of Montreal.

LA, is, well...LA.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jul 7, 2021 at 1:36 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
I wouldn't call hosting a world fair "prestigious".

Literally any city on earth can host it. Knoxville, Spokane, Plovdiv (Bulgaria), Tsukuba (Japan), and Yeosu (South Korea) have all hosted the world fair. Hardly noteworthy cities, wouldn't you agree?

Now, hosting the Summer Olympics is definitely prestigious (although I wouldn't say the same thing about the winter Olympics).

F1 as well, considering only 20-25 cities in the world get to host it every year. Currently, the only even that puts Montreal on the world map is the F1.

I would also say that hosting a Masters 1000 tennis tournament is up there. And luckily for Toronto and Montreal, both of them do.

I take it that you are too young to have attended Expo '67.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Yes. So what? The last 2 were in Astana and Dubai. No one gives a shit. That's not what puts those cities on the map.

Edit: Dubai Expo is later this year. Not that anybody cares. Just editing it for accuracy and posterity !

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jul 7, 2021 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 2:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

World's fairs have faded in importance but historically they were pretty big deals. Expo 67 was one of the greatest in history but there have been many other famous ones: Osaka 1970 was a biggie as well. And the double whammy of Montreal followed by Osaka three years later gave global visibility to both cities and their fairs.

Also of note were New York 1939, Paris 1900, London 1851...

Changing times and tastes. and also the multiplication of world's fairs (often fairly banal ones) occurring far too often as permitted by the organization responsible, have almost fatally weakened the brand at this point.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 2:40 PM

When was the last time the world really noticed a world's fair in a major way? Obviously Expo 86 was a big deal in the Canadian context but it probably didn't even move the needle internationally. When you look at the list, there hasn't been much of an impact since Osaka 1970.

I expected the Shanghai 2010 expo to resurrect the concept because I figured China would be looking to make a huge splash, but that didn't really happen. I guess in a world where I can read books, watch TV and listen to the radio from just about anywhere in the world on my phone, you have to wonder what purpose worlds fairs still have... you don't really need them to 'bring people together' the way they once did.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 2:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I was to Expo 67. Spent a week in Montreal and went every day. Still couldn't see it all. It was truly spectacular.

The Montreal Worlds Fair however was just about the last of it's kind. The era of the big world's fair lasted from roughly 1890-1970. It coincided with imperial powers jockeying for position and communist and capitalist powers posturing and trying to show the virtues of their economic systems.

World fairs are currently irrelevant

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 3:08 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
and run the risk of not being in the tournament ????????
As it stands Canada has a decent shot at qualifying for 2022 and a very good shot of qualifying for 2026 if we're not automatically granted a spot as hosts. I'd much prefer we qualify on merit in 2022 than automatically in 2026 for hosting a handful of matches.

Canada appearing at the World Cup will of course be big for the sport in the country, but with soccer already on the up in this country and with the World Cup field expanding in 2026 I feel the relevancy of it will diminish slightly. Qualifying for 2002 or 2010 was a much tougher task than qualifying will be from 2026-onwards.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 3:30 PM

Quote:
The World Cup isn't a "major event." It's the most monumental, epic, legendary and iconic sporting event on earth. The fact that we've somehow decided that Edmonton should be a venue instead of Montreal or Vancouver is clear evidence that it doesn't matter to Canadians.

We're not taking it seriously. It's actually insulting. We should just drop out of the damn thing altogether and preserve some self-respect.
Who is we?

Canadian people decided that it should be in Edmonton instead of Montreal or Vancouver?

Silly me - thinking it was the decision of the respective city and provincial governments.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 4:18 PM

If I lived in Edmonton I'd be pretty damn excited hosting a World Cup match. Good on them, I'm jealous! In my opinion however not having any matches in Montreal or Vancouver is quite dispiriting. Surely two of the top three populous and well known cities, as well as continental top-tier club locations in Canada not hosting a World Cup match is weird.

As for today....less than three hours till kickoff. C'mon England!!!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 5:51 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
My definition of a football nation: a country where all your major metro areas have soccer specific stadiums of 35,000+ seating capacity. And not because you can (Qatar), but rather because you have to, in order to support a sport that your country loves.
What an oddly specific number. Why not 20K? 15K? This criteria means footballing countries like Norway, Slovenia, Albania etc. wouldn't qualify. I'm guessing you chose 35K because it enables some countries like Denmark to qualify despite ignoring things like population, population density and spread, and proportion of country's population.

The thing that a lot of countries have that Canada doesn't have is a National Stadium. Most countries can easily have this because they have one main metro where everything can be built nicely, but Canada (and, say, the US) lack this one major metro, meaning that a singular National Stadium can either be contentious to build (Canada) or simply not required (the US). Canada could have a National Stadium in, say, Toronto, but i'm sure everyone outside of the city would argue and fight over the relevancy and why it's located there in the first place. A spreadout population prevents that sort of legacy-building from occurring.

Quote:
Btw, the US isn’t a football nation either. They just happen to have a bunch of large American football stadiums that are well suited for soccer matches.
The US/MLS has been building something like two large-scale soccer specific stadiums each year, which I think is pretty good. Ten new SSS in the past three years alone, including some nice builds in Cincinnati, Columbus, and Minneapolis. Venues like Banc of California in LA or Exploria in Orlando simply didn't exist five years ago, let alone further into the past.

Banc of California Stadium, LA

Exploria Stadium, Orlando

tql Stadium, Cincinnati

Providence Park (Portland) expansion

These aren't multipurpose venues being built for multiple tenants and uses - they're venues just for MLS teams. The narrative that the US/MLS relied on large-scale gridiron stadiums is one very much from the 90s and 00s. Take the Gold Cup as one example - it used only gridiron stadiums until 2005 or so, and has slowly begun using more and more SSS as they become accessible and as they're built. They've gone from using one SSS in 2005 to five SSS in 2021 - an even split with gridiron stadiums. The narrative that this creates is an important one, as the sport goes from clearly renting bigger spaces for other sports to creating their own spaces and their own cultures. Football in the 2020s has a place in the US, and it's at grounds in places like Kansas City and Philadelphia that are devoted just to those teams and to that sport. It's a big mental hurdle to get over but an important one for the future of the sport.

Quote:
As some others have said, this 2026 WC is becoming less about Canada, and more about the US/Mexico. We’re an afterthought.
The 2026 bid was never about Canada. It's always been about the US and tagging Canada and Mexico along for the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone
More proof that we aren't a soccer nation.

Copa America semi-final happening right now. Argentina-Colombia.

TSN and RDS are official broadcasters here in Canada. Neither are showing the match right now.
TSN wouldn't air Canada matches when they had the rights - why do you expect them to air matches from South America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
It would be nice if Vancouver stepped back in seeing as Montreal dropped out.
Peter Schaad tweeted yesterday to stay tuned on Vancouver's status for WC2026.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
Do people go home and complain about the configuration of the stadium?
They do increasingly in Spain, yes. Both Barcelona and Real Madrid are being forced to pump millions into their stadiums because people are hesitant to attend matches in those stadiums. For Barcelona particularly, it's a combination of price point but also the stadium's age, accessibility, and lack of a roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau
Why go out of our way to confirm stereotypes about Canada? What a shit show this is turning out to be.
I think you're being a bit dramatic. People can travel to Canada and be assured they're not going to be robbed like in Brazil, or discriminated against like they are in Qatar or Russia. That safety alone makes Canada a sure bet for travelling WC fans.

Like I alluded to above, i'd have no issue building a large-scale stadium in Toronto for our national field sport teams (CMNT/CWNT/Rugby etc.) but the scale that people expect would be off and the need simply isn't there. Between BMO and BC Place we have two pretty suitable venues for what's needed at this point. Maybe in 20 years when soccer is solidly as or more popular than ice hockey can we have this discussion again.

Last edited by JHikka; Jul 7, 2021 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 5:55 PM

I have noticed from the Euro 2020 coverage here in Canada that they aren't really highlighting the host cities at all. Basically, we go right from the talking heads in studio to the players walking out into the stadium, anthems and game, and back to the studio afterwards. I can't really remember any exterior shots of the stadia, city shots, tourism spots on each location, etc. So this debate about putting the most appealing cities forward to represent a country isn't really a factor for Euro 2020 since we don't see anything of the city on the broadcast.

Now, World Cup coverage may be slightly better on that front (I think we did see frequent exterior stadia/city shots last World Cup), but I'm not sure that the worldwide audience in the billions will actually seeing anything truly significant in terms of visuals that could be interpreted as promoting tourism. There will undoubtedly be a benefit from hosting in that it provides name recognition for the city. And there is definitely a benefit from the in-person visitors who attend.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 6:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

TSN wouldn't air Canada matches when they had the rights - why do you expect them to air matches from South America?
Not sure about this match, but RDS have been covering Copa America quite a bit.

Every time I've tuned in to RDS they seem to have a match on.

Aside from the big tennis tournaments and F1, Copa America is probably saving their lives this spring and summer.

(TVA Sports has both the Habs and the Euro.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada