HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 7:16 PM

When PP purchased the PO site to develop, the plan was was to engage scores of Gov. Agencies. Associations, Committees, Think Tanks, Watch Dog Groups and all come together and come up with a Master Plan that everyone can agree on and love. Then bring in Developers who check all the boxes and willing to to navigate the endless maze and largess of beaurocratic red tape. At this point it seems this project is all buttoned up. Then comes along Covid and Social unrest and now what is proposed is a homeless camp. Who saw this coming? Where does the project go from here?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural View Post
When PP purchased the PO site to develop, the plan was was to engage scores of Gov. Agencies. Associations, Committees, Think Tanks, Watch Dog Groups and all come together and come up with a Master Plan that everyone can agree on and love. Then bring in Developers who check all the boxes and willing to to navigate the endless maze and largess of beaurocratic red tape. At this point it seems this project is all buttoned up. Then comes along Covid and Social unrest and now what is proposed is a homeless camp. Who saw this coming? Where does the project go from here?
Yea it’s crazy. Unfortunately it’s IMO and my opinion ONLY but I think the project goes nowhere for a very long time. If you check my earlier posts I always thought it was fishy they were taking this long to just even bulldoze the place

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 10:43 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Yea it’s crazy. Unfortunately it’s IMO and my opinion ONLY but I think the project goes nowhere for a very long time. If you check my earlier posts I always thought it was fishy they were taking this long to just even bulldoze the place
You and others have a collective impatience and perhaps no institutional memory of how such big complicated public/private redevelopments happen. Do you remember when the power company (PPL I think) donated its land and closed power plant to OMSI and how long the new OMSI took to get built? And now the OMSI/Portland Opera/Oregon Rail Heritage Center lands are going through master planning that could proceed very slowly, depending on the market. What about the Schnitzer Steel donation of 10 acres to OHSU on the south waterfront? That land is still not fully developed nor is all of the land owned by Zidell next door. The grand plans earlier hatched by Zidell have been placed on hold. The point is, we should all be patient and less gloomy, because so much needs to come together to get projects off the ground. An "I told you so" taunt is tedious.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 8:36 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Look at it this way, the old Safari strip club was proposed as affordable housing in 2017, today they just broke ground on it, and that was just for a simple apartment building. With the Broadway Corridor, this is more than just some buildings and park space, this will be a centerpiece to the northern part of downtown. So with that in mind, the whole process is going to take time, not including the time it took for the Post Office to decide to finally move to the airport and build a new building for that.

This project will happen, but don't expect it to happen quickly, something this massive for Portland is going to be a huge undertaking.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland