HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 9:22 AM

I don't remember the numbers for this but about 6 months ago I did a search on skyscraperpage for Houston, filtering to show all Houston buildings under construction. The total amounts for number of feet under construction as well as for number of floors under construction was pretty impressive. The same goes for proposed buildings. In fact, I tallied the same numbers for Dallas just for comparison, and Houston was doing pretty well.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 2:32 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
Absoloutely. I mean, I know it would've been nice if the renovation plans had gone through for the West Building, but MainPlace is sure to be far more of a catalyst for cleaning up that part of downtown and bringing an eye to that portion of the skyline from new directions.

There are about 4 or 5 backhoes on the Legacy at Memorial (Studewood near Washington Ave.) so I assume something is going to be happening there soon. It's the first time the gates to the property have been closed as well in quite a while.
I think it's an office midrise of some sort. I took some pics over the weekend. I will try to post them up soon.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 1:43 AM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee View Post
I think it's an office midrise of some sort. I took some pics over the weekend. I will try to post them up soon.
No, this is the plot where the 25 story apartment tower has been proposed for. In fact, I don't think any relatively tall office projects have been pitched for the Memorial corridor in a while. Mostly residential as of late...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 7:00 PM
Baryonic Lord

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
No, this is the plot where the 25 story apartment tower has been proposed for. In fact, I don't think any relatively tall office projects have been pitched for the Memorial corridor in a while. Mostly residential as of late...
Ah... I was confusing this with that crane up on Dickson street. It's right off of Jackson Hill and Memorial... which is half a mile from what you're talking about.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 7:54 PM

"City signs letter of intent for soccer stadium land"

"The city took a major step towards acquiring land for a permanent home stadium for the Dynamo, Mayor Bill White said today.

City officials signed letters of intent Monday to purchase parcels of land east of 59, near the downtown central business district. Officials would not identify the exact location, but said that discussions with the Dynamos were proceeding, with the intent of having the team finance construction of the stadium.

The preferred location of Anschutz Entertainment Group, owner of the Dynamo, has been between the George R. Brown Convention Center and Minute Maid Park on the other side of U.S. 59..."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5440589.html

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 8:11 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee View Post
Ah... I was confusing this with that crane up on Dickson street. It's right off of Jackson Hill and Memorial... which is half a mile from what you're talking about.
Ah, it's cool. I was kinda wondering what that was myself. I drove by on New Year's day and it looked like it was a project done by Gables residential. Not sure about anything else about it though.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 8:50 PM

"Report: Houston area office space to grow 14 percent through 2011"

" Office space in both downtown Houston and the suburban market is expected to grow through 2011, according to Integra Realty Resources Inc.

Space in downtown will grow by 14 percent during the four-year period, with 6.1 million square feet expected to be built. Current inventory is 43.5 million square feet, according to the New York real estate data company's "IRR Viewpoint 2008."

That number puts Houston fourth among U.S. cities for downtown construction, which is expected to total 88.5 million square feet nationwide over the four years.

New York tops the list with an expected 20.8 million square feet of new construction, followed by Washington, D.C., at 9.69 million. Rounding out the Top 10 are Chicago; Seattle; Miami; Salt Lake City; Charlotte, N.C.; Boston; and Nashville..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...l?ana=from_rss

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 10:29 PM
Endless Moments...

Nice news for Houston. We need more office towers. A new Tallest would be awesome...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis4559 View Post
That number puts Houston fourth among U.S. cities for downtown construction, which is expected to total 88.5 million square feet nationwide over the four years.

New York tops the list with an expected 20.8 million square feet of new construction, followed by Washington, D.C., at 9.69 million. Rounding out the Top 10 are Chicago; Seattle; Miami; Salt Lake City; Charlotte, N.C.; Boston; and Nashville..."
No Dallas?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 3:54 AM

I should add that a 2008 economic forecast for Houston from an economist at the Dallas Fed projects that the employment numbers for 2007 will be revised substantially upward - to 100,000. That's solid growth, the kind that fuels building booms. But 2008 will be more modest - around 80,000.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post

Nice news for Houston. We need more office towers. A new Tallest would be awesome...

Indeed. It usually takes cities 30 years to create another "city tallest" building, so let's see if it happens anytime soon.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 8:30 AM

hey guys has anyone notice that there are starting to connect the Houston Pavillions?? I just saw the bridge going across san jacinto street i think?.. well could someone take some shots of that??

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 9:08 AM

I can see it from my window at work and all I can say is that it is a massive sky bridge if indeed that is what it is. I will take a picture when I get to work and post it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:12 PM

Here it is:

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 3:29 PM
H-town Baller

Stupid firewall. I can't see half the pictures posted here anymore.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 7:01 PM
Endless Moments...

Kewl i want to go and drive under it now...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 7:20 PM

I was shocked to see it. It wasn't there Friday and it was there Monday.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 9:26 PM

Awesome. It will look really nice when finished. Will there be small retail shops on the large walkway, too?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 3:01 AM

yay thanks so i am guessing you work at One Houston Center??

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 5:24 AM

when i left hte Macy's parking garage on the south side of the Galleria, there was a billboard about a new shopping center going up across the street on the corner of McCue and Hidalgo.....anyone have info on this??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations