HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:44 AM
Ex Houstonian

I am hardcore pro preservation and dont want to see anything torn down but that building is truly a blight on downtown and a haven for homeless people at nights to sleep under the awnings. I would actually welcome that buildings demolition if replaced by a residential tower with street level retail but the chances of that happening are laughable.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:55 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Horrible news about Macys, it lasted almost 60 years!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:00 AM

WTF ? I thought Macy's had just revealed snazzy plans to renovate the downtown store ?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:05 AM
Ex Houstonian

I'm amazed it lasted this long, I thought it was going to go the way of Woolworths; well and I guess it is.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockmat View Post
This type of architecture is right up my alley! Love it! I'm a curve freak!

From a trip I took to Houston 12/09, first time, I was so impressed with such an array of curved buildings, there some awesome ones downtown that just tickled my heart to see!

When the two curved Wynn towers were built here in Las Vegas, a noted acclaimed architect was in town to critique Las Vegas' architecture, and he slammed the design work on the Wynn towers and referred to it as merely 70's Houston style architecture! Well, well, well! How do you think I responded to that critique, jumping up and down with joy that we have an exciting slice of Houston here!!! More, more more!!!

Last edited by IMBY; Jan 4, 2013 at 7:58 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 1:54 PM

Downtown Macy's to be torn down and replaced by commerical office tower...

http://www.chron.com/business/real-e...wn-4166141.php

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:41 PM
Ex Houstonian

More like torn down and remain a vacant lot for 30 years but who knows. Mayor Parker and the city actually quite serious this time in rebuilding downtown. Downtown needs like 25,000 residents or more to actually have retail work. Houston Pavilions is largely vacant and Books A Million just closed last week too. The only real retail that will be left for now in downtown that's open past 5 is Forever 21.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:51 PM

I suppose this could wind up a net win for the city if: they really do build an office tower and if Macy's really does relocate to a smaller facility downtown and the new owners of the Pavilions really do turn it around.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:51 PM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
More like torn down and remain a vacant lot for 30 years but who knows. Mayor Parker and the city actually quite serious this time in rebuilding downtown. Downtown needs like 25,000 residents or more to actually have retail work. Houston Pavilions is largely vacant and Books A Million just closed last week too. The only real retail that will be left for now in downtown that's open past 5 is Forever 21.
^ Spot on. You can talk all you want about retail in downtown Houston but until there is a residential population (non-prison) to support it, it's not feasible for businesses. Thanks for the photo updates!

In other news, the apartment building at 502 S. Post Oak (near Woodway) is being torn down at the end of the month to be replaced by a mid-rise. Windsor bought the property and will redevelop the site.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberation View Post
^ Spot on. You can talk all you want about retail in downtown Houston but until there is a residential population (non-prison) to support it, it's not feasible for businesses. Thanks for the photo updates!

In other news, the apartment building at 502 S. Post Oak (near Woodway) is being torn down at the end of the month to be replaced by a mid-rise. Windsor bought the property and will redevelop the site.
I think this is the apartment building to be replaced. Really outdated but sort of cool looking. But a midrise would be better for this location. From what I'm seeing on Google Earth, that stretch of Post Oak is ripe for redevelopment. It has several very outdated apartment complexes.

(From Google Earth)

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
This is sad, but hardly unique for large Downtown Dept. stores in but a very small handful of U.S. cities. We went through the same thing a few years back when we lost our old, grand Macy's.

The building still stands however, and is beautiful. It's evolved into an event space, a collection of a couple of bars and restaurants off of the main Peachtree Street entrance and a data center on the upper floors. It's now known as 200 Peachtree.

http://www.200peachtree.com/

We were lucky in that when they built Atlantic Station two miles north in Midtown (replacing an old steel mill), Dillard's took a bet and built their SE flagship as an anchor there. It was dicey for the first few years with constant rumors they wouldn't make it, but they are now doing very well. I see the same thing happening in Houston.

You guys are a larger market than Atlanta, with a very healthy economy and a booming intown residential scene. I predict that if not Downtown, there will be a Downtown adjacent large Dept. store eventually. I would frankly be surprised if this isn't the case sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 9:59 PM
Ex Houstonian

Heres a render for the new UH stadium... yawn.

screenshot20121107at541 by photolitherland, on Flickr
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...73#entry414373

I liked the old art deco one much better personally. This one is just so generic, kinda like the BBVA futbol stadium.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 10:53 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

It looks like an erector set stadium.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I think this is the apartment building to be replaced. Really outdated but sort of cool looking. But a midrise would be better for this location. From what I'm seeing on Google Earth, that stretch of Post Oak is ripe for redevelopment. It has several very outdated apartment complexes.

(From Google Earth)
I don't even want to know if this classic has been replaced some day, as I'll cry me a river! This building should be on the historic register!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 4:09 AM
Ex Houstonian

No loss there in my opinion. As long as what replaces it is urban and not a gated off apartment complex.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 4:12 AM
Houston:Considered Good

I'm going to have to strongly, strongly disagree with you on those stadiums photoLith, I think they're awesome!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 4:14 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I don't even want to know if this classic has been replaced some day, as I'll cry me a river! This building should be on the historic register!
I don't know how this design would be classified...mid century modern? Maybe someone more knowledgeable about architectural nomenclature can comment.

This is one of the few complexes I've seen from decades ago that appeal to me. Most of them I will be glad to see replaced.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 4:20 AM
Ex Houstonian

Yeah, that most likely would be considered mid century modern. Its probably from the early 60s, just a guess.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 7:33 AM

UH's stadium will not be an erector set like the University of Central Florida's. It's going to be a solid concrete/steel structure.

Also, while I will miss the old Robertson Stadium, that place was a dump. There was no kitchen facility, no real press box, no bathrooms in the "suite" area, and would have cost an arm and a leg to upgrade to ADA specifications.

More importantly, the stadium will have 3 locker rooms and will allow UH to host high school games (valuable $$ and exposure to high school kids who may have never seen the campus). It will also house a nearly 40,000 square foot facility for the Moores School of Music.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations