HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 9:46 PM

Exciting!!! Main Place is officially off of the ground.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 10:01 PM

Turnberry cancels planned luxury condo tower

Turnberry Ltd. confirmed this week that it no longer plans to build a 34-story luxury condo tower by the Galleria Mall that had been in the works for more than three years.

The 184 proposed condo units, priced from $1 million to more than $3.5 million, were to be located west of Post Oak Boulevard, between Hidalgo and W. Alabama.

Buyers were notified of the developer’s decision last week, and have been refunded their deposits plus interest accrued on the money, according to Turnberry.

Jim Cohen, a vice president of sales for the prolific development firm, said in a statement released this week that the project was cancelled because the firm could not get a construction loan during the current financial crisis.

“With great reluctance we have decided to suspend development operations for Turnberry Tower, Residences at the Galleria,” Cohen said in the statement. “This is the first project Turnberry has had to discontinue in more than 40 years in the real estate development business.”

The Aventura, Fla.-based company has developed more than $7 billion in commercial and residential property, including 20 million square feet of retail space, 7,000 apartments and condo units, 1.5 million square feet of office space and 2,000 hotel and resort rooms.

Turnberry’s splashy marketing effort in Houston began in September 2007 with the unveiling of a 12,000-square-foot, multimillion-dollar sales center/model home near the development site.

The sales center closed last week, and the developer has not decided what it will do with the property.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...l?ana=from_rss

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 6:16 PM

HP heads to Hockley with land deal

Hewlett-Packard Co. has acquired 97 acres near the small town of Hockley for a $250 million facility that will be 18 miles from the firm’s primary campus in Houston.

HP bought the acreage last month for an undisclosed sum from John Beeson of Beeson Properties and Monzer Hourani of Medistar Corp.

Palo Alto, Calif.-based HP — which established a major Houston presence through the 2002 purchase of Houston-based Compaq Computer Corp. — has an option to buy another 100 acres as well.

The technology company is the first to buy land in a new 389-acre industrial park that Beeson and Hourani are planning northwest of Houston. The property is located near State Highway 290 and Betka Road, close to the boundary between Harris and Waller counties.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...27/story4.html

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 8:33 PM
Baryonic Lord

Whoa... too bad they didn't move closer in. As long as they dont up and leave.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 10:47 PM

City approves variance for TIAA-CREF building

The City of Houston’s Planning Commission has granted a variance to TIAA-CREF to accommodate a 30-story office building it plans to construct in the Galleria area.

TIAA-CREF intends to build an office tower at 1300 Post Oak, in place of an existing two-story 24-Hour Fitness. The office building will be located next to the Four Oaks Place office complex that is also owned by TIAA-CREF.

The owner needed city approval to build the structure 15 feet away from Post Oak instead of the standard 25 feet. The setback change, granted last week, applies on Post Oak from Four Oaks Place Drive to West Briar Lane.

The building will be located closer to the street in keeping with guidelines being developed for the future rail corridor. The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County plans to construct a rail line down the middle of Post Oak.

Houston-based Transwestern is development manager and leasing representative for the proposed office building, which has been on the drawing board for more than a year.

With more than $435 billion in combined assets under management, TIAA-CREF is the leading retirement system for people in the academic, research, medical and cultural fields.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis4559 View Post
City approves variance for TIAA-CREF building

The City of Houston’s Planning Commission has granted a variance to TIAA-CREF to accommodate a 30-story office building it plans to construct in the Galleria area.

TIAA-CREF intends to build an office tower at 1300 Post Oak, in place of an existing two-story 24-Hour Fitness. The office building will be located next to the Four Oaks Place office complex that is also owned by TIAA-CREF.

The owner needed city approval to build the structure 15 feet away from Post Oak instead of the standard 25 feet. The setback change, granted last week, applies on Post Oak from Four Oaks Place Drive to West Briar Lane.

The building will be located closer to the street in keeping with guidelines being developed for the future rail corridor. The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County plans to construct a rail line down the middle of Post Oak.

Houston-based Transwestern is development manager and leasing representative for the proposed office building, which has been on the drawing board for more than a year.

With more than $435 billion in combined assets under management, TIAA-CREF is the leading retirement system for people in the academic, research, medical and cultural fields.

A 30-story office building will add some nice density to that part of Uptown. Also, I am glad to hear about the 15ft setback to accommodate the future rail line. Uptown may have the best chance to become Houston's best walkable, urban area.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 7:50 PM
Ex Houstonian

I found this out today that apparently about a month ago they started work on the East Corridor metro light rail line. I got this from metros website

"Construction crews will begin work at Hagermann St. starting October 6th. This crew will be installing mainline duct bank. They will be in this area for three weeks.
A second crew will begin work between Eastwood St. and Super St. This work will continue across Super St. to Lockwood through October 24th.
Super St. will be a full closure beginning Monday the 6th of October. During the construction hours of 7:00 am to 6:00 pm please use Garrow St. as an alternative route into Harrisburg"

Has this actually occured? If so thats awesome! I had no idea that they were going to start work on another line this soon. I would check for myself but seeing as I am 10 hours away, it wouldnt be all that easy I hope someone can confirm the statement put out by metro.

Heres the website http://metrosolutions.org/go/doc/1068/112324/

Last edited by photoLith; Nov 11, 2008 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I found this out today that apparently about a month ago they started work on the East Corridor metro light rail line. I got this from metros website

"Construction crews will begin work at Hagermann St. starting October 6th. This crew will be installing mainline duct bank. They will be in this area for three weeks.
A second crew will begin work between Eastwood St. and Super St. This work will continue across Super St. to Lockwood through October 24th.
Super St. will be a full closure beginning Monday the 6th of October. During the construction hours of 7:00 am to 6:00 pm please use Garrow St. as an alternative route into Harrisburg"

Has this actually occured? If so thats awesome! I had no idea that they were going to start work on another line this soon. I would check for myself but seeing as I am 10 hours away, it wouldnt be all that easy I hope someone can confirm the statement put out by metro.

Heres the website http://metrosolutions.org/go/doc/1068/112324/
Yes they've been doing the utility work since august... slowly moving down Harrisburg. As for the four other lines, I'm not sure if any of them have started yet

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 6:24 PM
Ex Houstonian

No, none of the others have started yet, but I believe the uptown line is in its final stages of approval and the university line is also near its final stages of approval/completion. So construction on those two lines should start soon, probably sometime early next year or so. The East Corrider should be completely finished by late 2011 or early 2o12.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 8:49 AM
FYHA

Tidbits on Embassy Suites near DG, Early Leasing at One Park Place & The end of repairs at Chase Tower.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...f/6126669.html

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 4:10 AM
Ex Houstonian

Well thats great news, sort of. I would find it hard to believe that One Park Place wont find enough tenants when the city is that freakin huge. Its a shame that people are buying some of those apartments just as second homes though. I was hoping most would be full time residents who would enliven downtown after hours.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 6:20 PM

great updates. it is also nice to hear about the incentives.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 4:42 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGulf View Post
great updates. it is also nice to hear about the incentives.
Let us hope for the best.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 6:44 AM
Ex Houstonian

From yesterday, which was 40 minutes ago.

Development in the medical district. I dont know what this tower is or how tall its supposed to be but it looked pretty sweet. Im sure someone on here knows the name of it

I guess Houston Pavilions is pretty much down, heres how it fits in with the city. Its better than parking lots at least.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 6:57 AM
BANNED

Its the Outpatient Care Center.
25 stories.

whrarchitects

and thanks for the update

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 12:19 PM
Houstonian

Source: TheHaif

Embassy Suites
One Park Place
Discovery Tower
New Convention Hotel
and other Projects on going..

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 5:39 AM
"the irish-mexican"

Fill 'em up! Great pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4smok View Post
Source: TheHaif

Embassy Suites
One Park Place
Discovery Tower
New Convention Hotel
and other Projects on going..

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 5:49 AM
Ex Houstonian

Are those actually going to for sure get built or are they just our hopes and dreams at this point?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 3:21 PM
Houstonian

Well Embassy Suites is approved. Construction to start in March 2009

last I heard of the convention hotel it was going to happen.. not sure if its approved yet.. looks pretty detailed... and it looks the same as other pictures I have seen of it..

The other buildings behind Discovery Tower I am not sure what they are..

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 6:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The other buildings behind Discovery Tower I am not sure what they are..

Well from this map they maybe towers with retail, lobby and office space.One will be right beside dt parking garage and the other two on the next block...One is a La Quinta but I don't know what the other two are because the words are too small..

Last edited by HOUSTONIAN57; Nov 30, 2008 at 7:55 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations