HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 2:31 PM
Endless Moments...

Highland Tower is a Go...

A construction permit for Pelican Builders’ Highland Tower was approved by the city last week. Its a nice one...

A rendering from Swamplot...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 4:42 AM

i need help. how do you get pics from your "My Pics" to here?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 2:28 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm91 View Post
i need help. how do you get pics from your "My Pics" to here?
Use www.photobucket.com

it's free.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 2:29 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
Highland Tower is a Go...

A construction permit for Pelican Builders’ Highland Tower was approved by the city last week. Its a nice one...

A rendering from Swamplot...

not too bad.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 6:31 PM

Most be a slow week in Houston development, hasn't been a post in three days. We need to start to some bickering about building designs, why HP won't help downtown, etc. in order to liven up this thread. That is, unless, someone has some news about a Houston a project.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 7:02 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Most be a slow week in Houston development, hasn't been a post in three days. We need to start to some bickering about building designs, why HP won't help downtown, etc. in order to liven up this thread. That is, unless, someone has some news about a Houston a project.
I wish it would but it's not going to help downtown... UGH

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 9:23 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee View Post
I wish it would but it's not going to help downtown... UGH
LOL.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 9:28 PM
H-town Baller

Heh.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya
Most be a slow week in Houston development, hasn't been a post in three days. We need to start to some bickering about building designs, why HP won't help downtown, etc. in order to liven up this thread.
Well, Houston Pavilions is replacing parking lots, so I guess it can't make downtown any worse. On the other hand, I don't like the final design. A two story building fronting Main, yeah, that's a great use of prime real estate.

I was looking forward to the residential component, not because I cared how it would effect the retail, but because it looked like somewhere I would like to live. And I don't understand the attitude of saying it might be a good thing that the Pavilions is smaller because it ups the chance of developments on other empty lots.

New retail downtown will help, but it doesn't change the fact that the Pavilions final design is a disappointment from what it could have been. And I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing that out. I actually think that two or three different projects on those blocks would have been a better plan.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 1:24 AM
Ex Houstonian

Yes, the side wall on the Pavilions is just atrocious, I was in Houston about a month ago and One Park Place was looking good but I was very disappointed with the pavilions. Im sure it will liven up the western end of main but still it could have been so much more. I do like how there are overpasses over the street though, it makes it seem more enclosed and more like a dense development.

I remember when I first moved to Houston about 10 years ago and since then downtown has totally transformed from a hobo infested crapper to having a wonderfully lively night club scene in just a few years. Theres still tons of hobos and crappy areas but that will change, especially if the Dynamo stadium comes in too. I wish I was still living there to take pictures and to see the transformation, but alas, I am stuck in redneck Arkansas for now.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess View Post
Well, Houston Pavilions is replacing parking lots, so I guess it can't make downtown any worse. On the other hand, I don't like the final design. A two story building fronting Main, yeah, that's a great use of prime real estate.

I was looking forward to the residential component, not because I cared how it would effect the retail, but because it looked like somewhere I would like to live. And I don't understand the attitude of saying it might be a good thing that the Pavilions is smaller because it ups the chance of developments on other empty lots.

New retail downtown will help, but it doesn't change the fact that the Pavilions final design is a disappointment from what it could have been. And I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing that out. I actually think that two or three different projects on those blocks would have been a better plan.
I just don't think we'll have a significant residential population in downtown when there are so many options outsides of downtown (heights, washington blvd, midtown, eastside, etc.). Just too much competition in my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 3:03 AM
Ex Houstonian

I think people would rather live downtown, at least some would because those other areas are way too congested with traffic to get around anywhere. So, if they built more residential downtown, that is affordable, I think people would much rather live there. Im moving back to Houston most likely in a few years and I know Ill be looking for something downtown or close to it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
I just don't think we'll have a significant residential population in downtown when there are so many options outsides of downtown (heights, washington blvd, midtown, eastside, etc.). Just too much competition in my opinion.
I doubt it. Different strokes for different folks. Some people would like to live in a highrise condo in an urban setting next to a rail line. Others might like a town home, or single family home next to a rail line. For me personally, if I had a choice between Midtown or Downtown, Downtown would be my choice.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
I doubt it. Different strokes for different folks. Some people would like to live in a highrise condo in an urban setting next to a rail line. Others might like a town home, or single family home next to a rail line. For me personally, if I had a choice between Midtown or Downtown, Downtown would be my choice.
True, but I believe it would cost more to build residential in downtown, which would put some buyers/renters out of the price range. I believe our downtown population will grow, but way more slowly than it's immediate surrounding areas.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 7:03 AM

I don't really think Midtown is exactly cheap either. Downtown will definitely be the slowest, but not too slow. A lot of projects are coming online in Downtown.

But now that I think about it, if Regent Square had a rail line near it, that would be my number one choice.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 3:57 PM
Endless Moments...

That is very true. I like the location of regent square. It would be nice to live there...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 8:11 AM

City to oversee huge sports multi-use complex

The City of Houston on Thursday is expected to unveil plans for a major multi-use recreational project in South Houston adjacent to State Highway 288.

The complex, on an 80-acre site owned by the city, will include as many as 18 outdoor soccer and athletic fields with natural and artificial turf. Part of the facility will house a practice field for use by the Houston Dynamo professional soccer club that would include site improvements paid for by the team.

The site is bordered by Sims Bayou on the south, Highway 288 to the east and Kirby Drive to the west.

Houston Community College is studying the feasibility of building an expanded campus on part of the site, just south of the college's Willie Lee Gay Hall campus on Airport Boulevard.

In addition, Wesley AME Church is expected to construct a new church building and possibly a charter school on a 30-acre portion of the site.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...l?ana=from_rss

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 2:16 PM
H-town Baller

The "Black Hole" continues to see development. Let's see if retail starts to come on line as well.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 2:49 PM
Endless Moments...

There is rendering, althrough not a very good one, of 5 allen center. At the current time the floor count is 50.

"This hazy image of a new office tower planned for the northwest corner of Downtown, unveiled from the depths of the interwebs by HAIF user nate, is apparently meant to be the new Five Allen Center. It’s listed as a 1.2-million-sq.-ft. “near-term future development” in a Brookfield Properties document from this month."

Taken from Swaplot. 6-25-08

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 5:06 PM
Baryonic Lord

This is good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations