HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:44 PM

^^^ I think that's a good idea.

Now a plane can fly to Winnipeg, and ship cargo around easier to surrounding places. Plus more shipping opportunties for businesses.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:59 PM

I am very pleased. Make Winnipeg a centre for cargo. Give it a defining feature. The "airport campus" may prove to be one of the city's economic gems in 5-6 years, as it is already showcasing some impressive numbers as plans.

...Now to open up the Port of Churchill, without destroying the ecosystem...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:37 AM

What are all the international and US flights from Winnipeg?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 2:50 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeep88 View Post
Most flights are to American hubs.. such as:

5 to 6 flights a day to Chicago.
Muliple flights to Minniapolis a day.
Denver
Salt Lake City... ect.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 3:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

how much would a flight be from denver to winnipeg ebating on how to come back up in a month

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 3:20 AM
Capitalist

I've always liked the Winport idea. As far as the land goes it only requires a little thing known of expropreation. Once the city has the land in hand and can develop a strong business plan with enough of the transportation industry behind the idea, I would suggest it would a good indication that perhaps the first phase of such a mega hub could be built.

It would also greatly be influenced by the port of Churchill. If that port becomes the major port of the north-west passage, Winnipeg will be in a super position the capitalize on its rail and truck infrastructure.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 3:37 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
how much would a flight be from denver to winnipeg ebating on how to come back up in a month
Check Northwest airlines I believe. Its depends on the day and time. I have flown through Denver a couple times.. its a nice airport. I believe there is a late flight to the Peg.

Chicago offers the most flexability.. due to the number of flights to and from Winnipeg a day. This is a busy route partially due to agriculture and commodity businesses in each city.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 3:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Check Northwest airlines I believe. Its depends on the day and time. I have flown through Denver a couple times.. its a nice airport. I believe there is a late flight to the Peg.

Chicago offers the most flexability.. due to the number of flights to and from Winnipeg a day. This is a busy route partially due to agriculture and commodity businesses in each city.
on my way back up i would be flying from cancun.. and debating on were to go.. don't know anyone i chicago... knows a cuple plp in denver and got friends in st paul

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 3:49 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
on my way back up i would be flying from cancun.. and debating on were to go.. don't know anyone i chicago... knows a cuple plp in denver and got friends in st paul
I believe the last flight out of Chicago to the Peg is 10 or 11pm.. so you may not have to stay over if you could get there before that time.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 4:33 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Most flights are to American hubs.. such as:

5 to 6 flights a day to Chicago.
Muliple flights to Minniapolis a day.
Denver
Salt Lake City... ect.

Don't forget about the seasonal non-stop flights to Phoenix, and the year long non-stop flights to Las Vegas by Westjet.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Don't forget about the seasonal non-stop flights to Phoenix, and the year long non-stop flights to Las Vegas by Westjet.
Just allow an extra three days if the plane happens to be delayed by weather ... Thanks for the $100 credit WestJet. Wow.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 5:26 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Just allow an extra three days if the plane happens to be delayed by weather ... Thanks for the $100 credit WestJet. Wow.

Seriously? That's not a bad compensation and is better than a kick to the junk. Maybe my next westjet flight will be delayed; I could use the extra cash towards a vacation

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 4:53 PM
iron ring

Quote:
Based on summer peak frequencies:
4x daily to Chicago (United Airlines)
3x daily to Denver (United Airlines)
6x daily to Minneapolis (Northwest Airlines)
2x daily to Salt Lake City (Delta Airlines)

Also, seasonal frequencies on:
weekly service to London Gatwick (Zoom Airlines)
summer service to Detroit (Northwest Airlines)
6x weekly to Las Vegas (WestJet, Air Canada)
3x weekly to Phoenix (WestJet)
numerous winter season flights to to Cancun, Holguin, Huatulco, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Montego Bay, Puerto Plata, Puerto Vallarta, Punta Cana, Varadero, Zihuatanejo (AeroMexico, Skyservice, Air Transat, WestJet)

Flying Denver to Winnipeg nonstop should cost somewhere in the $200-300 range, one-way. Flying from most places the Chicago connections are pretty good, although a really late connection would probably mean flying through Minneapolis on Northwest.

Given that rail freight tends to concentrate on slower, bulkier items, and air freight is faster, smaller, higher value items, I don't know how much air-to-rail potential there is for general freight. Usually rail-to-truck or air-to-truck is the way it goes. The idea of moving very large specialized loads on air-rail intermodal (such as wind turbine blades) is kind of fascinating, though, I could see that having a good deal of potential.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 5:01 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj View Post
Based on summer peak frequencies:
4x daily to Chicago (United Airlines)
3x daily to Denver (United Airlines)
6x daily to Minneapolis (Northwest Airlines)
2x daily to Salt Lake City (Delta Airlines)

Also, seasonal frequencies on:
weekly service to London Gatwick (Zoom Airlines)
summer service to Detroit (Northwest Airlines)
6x weekly to Las Vegas (WestJet, Air Canada)
3x weekly to Phoenix (WestJet)
numerous winter season flights to to Cancun, Holguin, Huatulco, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Montego Bay, Puerto Plata, Puerto Vallarta, Punta Cana, Varadero, Zihuatanejo (AeroMexico, Skyservice, Air Transat, WestJet)

Flying Denver to Winnipeg nonstop should cost somewhere in the $200-300 range, one-way. Flying from most places the Chicago connections are pretty good, although a really late connection would probably mean flying through Minneapolis on Northwest.

Given that rail freight tends to concentrate on slower, bulkier items, and air freight is faster, smaller, higher value items, I don't know how much air-to-rail potential there is for general freight. Usually rail-to-truck or air-to-truck is the way it goes. The idea of moving very large specialized loads on air-rail intermodal (such as wind turbine blades) is kind of fascinating, though, I could see that having a good deal of potential.
Hmmmm I could swear I flew NW from Winnipeg to Denver.. but that was a few years ago, things may have changed. Also seems the Chicago run is smaller than it use to be, but I guess flight capacity plays a large roll. The redeye was from Chicago to Winnipeg was full the few times I took it.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Wow! You're pretty lucky to get a credit at all since, as you say, the plane was delayed due to weather! It is my impression that delays due to weather do not mean compensation, but other kinds of delays, such as mechanical, do.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 9:53 PM
iron ring

Quote:
Hmmmm I could swear I flew NW from Winnipeg to Denver.. but that was a few years ago, things may have changed. Also seems the Chicago run is smaller than it use to be, but I guess flight capacity plays a large roll. The redeye was from Chicago to Winnipeg was full the few times I took it.
Air Canada operated the Denver route for a few years, before it was transferred to United. Other than that there was many many years ago a milk run routing to Denver on the original Frontier Airlines (probably before the time when you flew it).

(note - I just flew via Denver, and it was full both ways)

The Chicago route also was switched to a UA flight from an AC one a few years ago (basically went from AC operating and UA codesharing to the opposite). That route has had a number of schedule and equipment changes, and in the early to mid '90's there was a battle between AC, American Airlines, and Northwest over the route. I'd personally like to see a later flight added on ORD-YWG again to make later return routings possible.

Not sure when the second phase of the airport is planned, but I expect that it won't take long before it's needed. The current level of operations will essentially be able to fill the gates at peak times, and a couple of extra gates will probably be needed to accomodate any new routes or carriers that add flights once the new terminal is available.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 3:28 PM
What could go wrong?

I flew Winnipeg to Denver round trip in Sept for $500. flights both ways were full.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I flew Winnipeg to Denver round trip in Sept for $500. flights both ways were full.
I'm going to Phoenix via Denver next week for $123 each way? I have seen Wpg-Denver more $$$ than Winnipeg-Phoenix. Guess you should just bring carryon luggage and scoot when you get the chance?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:11 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Air Canada (Cancun, Montego Bay, Punta Cana, Toronto-Pearson, Vancouver, Calgary)

Air Canada Jazz (Calgary, Edmonton, Las Vegas, London (ON), Montréal, Ottawa, Regina, Saskatoon, Thunder Bay)

Air Transat (Puerto Plata, Punta Cana)

Bearskin Airlines (Churchill, Flin Flon, Fort Frances, Dryden, Kenora, Rankin Inlet, Red Lake, Sioux Lookout, The Pas, Thunder Bay, Whale Cove, Windsor)

Calm Air (Arviat, Baker Lake, Churchill, Flin Flon, Gillam, Rankin Inlet, The Pas, Thompson, Whale Cove)

Delta Connection operated by SkyWest (Salt Lake City)

First Air (Rankin Inlet)

Keystone Air (Dauphin, Swan River)

Kivalliq Air (Chesterfield Inlet, Churchill, Coral Harbour, Rankin Inlet, Repulse Bay, Whale Cove)

Northwest Airlines (Minneapolis/St. Paul)

Northwest Airlink operated by Pinnacle Airlines (Minneapolis/St. Paul)

Perimeter Aviation (Berens River, Brandon, Cross Lake, Dauphin, God's Lake Narrows, God's River, Island Lake, Norway House, Oxford House, Red Sucker Lake, Shamattawa, South Indian Lake, St. Theresa Pt., Brochet, Lac Brochet, Tadoule Lake, Thompson, York Landing)

Skyservice (Bahias de Huatulco, Cancun, Holguin, Mazatlan, Montego Bay, Orlando, Puerto Plata, Puerto Vallarta, Punta Cana, Varadero, Zihuatanejo)

Sunwing Airlines operated by AeroMexico (Cancun)

United Airlines (Chicago-O'Hare, Denver)

United Express operated by SkyWest (Denver)

WestJet (Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Las Vegas, London (ON), Montréal, Ottawa, Phoenix [seasonal], Regina, Saskatoon, Thunder Bay, Toronto-Pearson, Vancouver)

Zoom Airlines (London-Gatwick)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 3:45 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Emergency Landing
FEB 07 2007 05:20 PM

An Air France airplane made an emergency landing at the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport during the noon-hour Wednesday.
A spokesperson for the Winnipeg Airports Authority tells CJOB, a 67-year old passenger felt ill, so the plane put down around 12:35.

The man was taken to the hospital. The flight continued on its way around 2pm. It was on its way from Paris to Los Angeles.

CJOB News

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan