HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 7:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://www.clickondetroit.com/resiz...QRFY7IQ47Q.jpg

This is my first time seeing the detailed design on the U.S. side. Won’t cross-border traffic back up on I-75?
Are we talking about Canadian bound traffic or US-bound traffic clogging I-75?

The flow to Canada has nothing to obstruct it except for the turns. For all the border is busy, it's not major freeway-to-freeway style volume. Trucks will keep moving, so any backup will likely be on the bridge itself before the inspection station.

The US-bound traffic gets broken up by stopping at the stations. It also can split going east and west on I-75. Again, the risk of backups is reduced, except on the bridge.

I don't know how the volume on I-75 is, so I can't comment there.

Last edited by wave46; Feb 1, 2021 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 1:55 AM

It's hard to tell, but it almost looks like you can go directly on the bridge from the US side without stopping ((unless you want to hit duty free). Maybe pay the toll on the Canadian side right before hitting customs. If so, then there really shouldn't be any backup to the highway unless it is an unusually busy travel day.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 1:58 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Oh right. Coming from Michigan, one doesn't stop until the Canadian POE.
I haven't crossed the border for a long time...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 5:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

why is the USA POE so much larger than its Canadian counterpart?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 7:02 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
According to this deck (slides 10 & 11) the US POE is about 14% larger, 148 acres vs. 130. It may be that the shape of the Canadian one makes it look much smaller than that, plus it appears the US facility will contain more open space along the property edges.

The Canadian POE looks like it will be massive compared to the existing one at the Ambassador Bridge.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 8:30 PM
User Registered

Also 'Murica

Homeland Security wants to look tougher than Canadian Border Services.

Reminds me of this scene/meme from Spongebob

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Are we talking about Canadian bound traffic or US-bound traffic clogging I-75?

The flow to Canada has nothing to obstruct it except for the turns. For all the border is busy, it's not major freeway-to-freeway style volume. Trucks will keep moving, so any backup will likely be on the bridge itself before the inspection station.

The US-bound traffic gets broken up by stopping at the stations. It also can split going east and west on I-75. Again, the risk of backups is reduced, except on the bridge.

I don't know how the volume on I-75 is, so I can't comment there.
I haven't been that way for a few years but the last time I drove it I remember it being 8 lanes, 4 each way. I did read somewhere that it has been under construction for awhile and in anticipation of the new bridge with lanes for merging, new overpasses and a design for a large number of transports being on it. I don't ever remember it being extremely busy on that portion of I-75 that adding big trucks would make it all that bad.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:42 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
You can bulldoze larger sections of Detroit and people will still regard it as an improvement?

Windsor had a number of businesses that abutted that corridor, so knocking them over is harder to do.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I haven't been that way for a few years but the last time I drove it I remember it being 8 lanes, 4 each way. I did read somewhere that it has been under construction for awhile and in anticipation of the new bridge with lanes for merging, new overpasses and a design for a large number of transports being on it. I don't ever remember it being extremely busy on that portion of I-75 that adding big trucks would make it all that bad.
Oh yea, I remember that section of I-75 closed for years.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 9:03 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
You can bulldoze larger sections of Detroit and people will still regard it as an improvement?

Windsor had a number of businesses that abutted that corridor, so knocking them over is harder to do.
The Delray neighbourhood the U.S. facility will be built upon was an interesting mix of empty lots (where homes once stood), burnt-out shells, decrepit houses, and the occasional well-kept dwelling.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:

Exactly, if you look over at that part of Detroit, its literally abandoned neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 4:37 AM
Rockin' Buffet Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
The widening of the 401 is between Tilbury and London...that has nothing to do with Windsor. There would be no reason for traffic to spike after that stretch was built because there is still a bottleneck where trucks are forced onto a CITY street.

If anyone thinks Windsor has been given its share of provincial infrastructure dollars over the years, I'd respectfully disagree. We have had to deal with these polluting, belching trucks on city streets (going right past a high school for God's sake) for 60 YEARS because the province lacked the brainpower to connect the busiest highway with the busiest border crossing.
I'll have to try rediscover the articles again some time but years ago I found some old news stories that stated that the 401 ended where it did and remained that way for decades because of overwhelming public outcry from residents along the old highway 3 route. Especially on the outskirts of the city.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 12:56 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 1:46 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I think the interchange at Highway 62 is one of the last cloverleafs on the 400-series highways.

Good to see this area getting some attention. Some of the geometry is pretty substandard and anything that cuts down on weaving for tightly-spaced interchanges is a win in my books.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 3:02 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Indeed. With a mall nearby though, if going from 62 north to 401 west requires a left turn, there needs to be 2 left turn lanes just like nearly all the surrounding intersections.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Indeed. With a mall nearby though, if going from 62 north to 401 west requires a left turn, there needs to be 2 left turn lanes just like nearly all the surrounding intersections.
It looks like that could be rectified pretty easily.

Looking at the preferred plan, it looks pretty well done. The MTO does a decent job overall.

I'm mostly at the point of quibbles here. I've always preferred dedicated entry/exit lanes and given the spacing between 62 to 401W on-ramp and the 401W to 37 off-ramp (~700m), I wonder why they chose to run a shared lane. Maybe for trucks, I guess.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 5:52 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

That's probably just legacy infrastructure built during a time when traffic was little.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 5:22 AM

Any timeline on that project? I remember hearing about it in 2018 or so and nothing has happened since then.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Thank goodness! It's about time something was done about these two interchanges... The amount of weaving that comes about as a result of this section of highway is crazy. The cloverleaf for Hwy 62 is one thing, but then there's the proximity of the other interchange, for Hwy 37, which shares one of the auxiliary lanes with the cloverleaf...

Add on top of that the number of people that speed on this section of highway all the time, and the slower drivers, and it's a recipe for disaster...

EDIT: There's also a slight dip into the river valley that the 401 crosses here, between the two interchanges, so that makes it that much easier to speed on this section of highway as well. And when there are two transport trucks trying to pass each other on this section of highway... well... yikes.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:03 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaterasu07 View Post
Thank goodness! It's about time something was done about these two interchanges... The amount of weaving that comes about as a result of this section of highway is crazy. The cloverleaf for Hwy 62 is one thing, but then there's the proximity of the other interchange, for Hwy 37, which shares one of the auxiliary lanes with the cloverleaf...

Add on top of that the number of people that speed on this section of highway all the time, and the slower drivers, and it's a recipe for disaster...

EDIT: There's also a slight dip into the river valley that the 401 crosses here, between the two interchanges, so that makes it that much easier to speed on this section of highway as well. And when there are two transport trucks trying to pass each other on this section of highway... well... yikes.
Not even. When someone comes in from 62 to 401E, trucks move into the left lane already.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario