HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I could see Bloomfield Hills, MI sneaking in. The prime areas aren't priced much different than the North Shore.

The problem is that zip codes aren't apples-apples, so it isn't really a great comparison. Highly dependent on whether you have a rich area of SFHs with a small zip code.
Totally, that's why i said "areas" however the hell that can be determined. I don't know much about Detroit Suburbs, but in terms of "areas" (which I'll just make up for some not really defined), i'd say the most expensive handful in the midwest are (no order):

-Chicago Gold Coast / River North
-Chicago Lincoln Park
-Chicago Lakeview
-Chicago Wicker Park
-North Shore - Chicagoland
-Hinsdale, IL
-Orono-Wayzata, MN
-Edina, MN
-Orono-Wayzata, MN

Edit: Bloomfield Hills would definitely be on this list based on a quick MLS search.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I could see Bloomfield Hills, MI sneaking in.
Also Birmingham and Barton Hills. I think the most expensive zip code in Michigan is in Birmingham.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 5:57 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The first digit is supposed to be zero. It was probably truncated by Excel or something.
at least it didn't treat it like octal...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
We now have 100 areas where the average price of a home is $1.4 million or (much) higher. Would be interesting to know how many $1 million zip codes exist - maybe another 100? It also illustrates how much lower the average house costs in the midsized boom cities like Austin, Nashville, and Charlotte, not to mention the not-booming midsized cities like St. Louis.
I'm guessing a lot more. I was just checking a lot of Miami area zip codes to see why they didn't make the to 100 list and many had median sale prices between $1million and $1.4 million.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 8:46 PM

Probably another 100 zip codes in California alone with median prices between $1m and $1.4m. That's the sweet spot for what would be considered a nice house in a good neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Probably another 100 zip codes in California alone with median prices between $1m and $1.4m. That's the sweet spot for what would be considered a nice house in a good neighborhood.
A fun map would show zip codes with the most jumbo mortgages.

No doubt many U.S. zip codes - thousands of them - don't have a single house worth over $1 million.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
One huge difference between California and NYC is that there really aren't a ton of million dollar houses in NY Metro outside of NYC. There are a lot between $500k and $1m, though. But the bulk of the upper end of NY real estate is made up of units in NYC. That's why New Jersey only has just one or two zip codes on that list above.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 3:37 PM

Eh, not so sure of that. The % of houses with 1 million+ valuations is likely lower than CA, but the overall cost structure isn't much different, bc SFH suburban homes in the NY area have much higher property taxes, much higher transfer taxes, mansion taxes, and higher utility costs. They're also generally older, with more maintenance issues and stricter building requirements. For example, many communities require that original historic windows get custom replacements. In such a comparison, a $1.5 million home in Scarsdale likely costs more long-term than a $2 million home in Newport Beach.

My aunt has a $3 million CA home, but the taxes are less than my parents' suburban Detroit home, which is probably worth 500k. She doesn't have AC, barely uses heat, there's no basement, no yard, there's barely anything to maintain outside of a pool. The home is a simple 1960's CA ranch. The value is in the drop dead, incredible cliffside views and location. Since it's paid off, it could easily be maintained by someone making 40k.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 3:43 PM

Also, a ton of NY-area homes sell at 999,999 and do a lot of seller givebacks (free occupancy for a year for seller or whatever) to avoid the dreaded "mansion" tax. It's in no one's interest to cross the $1 million mark unless totally unavoidable.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 4:31 PM

Hillary Swank is moving full-time to Colorado.

From Architectural Digest:

Hilary Swank Lists L.A. Home

November 11, 2021

Hilary Swank puts Pacific Palisades mansion on the market

Oscar winner Hilary Swank is giving up her Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles, compound to live full-time in Colorado. The Million Dollar Baby star has listed the 6,700-square-foot hacienda for $10.5 million.

It’s rare to find a Mediterranean-style villa with such an open and bright floor plan in Los Angeles, listing agent Zach Goldsmith of Hilton & Hyland tells AD PRO, including multiple outdoor lounges and dining areas with breathtaking ocean views.

Stepping inside the gates, “You feel like you stepped out of Los Angeles and into a private residence on the grounds of the Biltmore in Santa Barbara,” Goldsmith says.

Swank bought the house in 2007 for $5.8 million, installing a 16-seat movie theater with an antique popcorn machine, so her family could watch movies “correctly, the way they are meant to be seen,” she told The Wall Street Journal.

She also added a pool and hot tub, a fire pit, and outdoor kitchen, and renovated a hidden speakeasy space with leather walls and more intimate lighting.

Swank and husband Philip Schneider purchased property in Colorado in 2016 and moved there last year during the pandemic. Her new ranch home will enable Swank to embrace her passion for animal rescue, Swank told WSJ, with more space for her five dogs, two parrots, and horse.

[...]

Link: https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...al-estate-news

For more pictures, check out this link. I think it's a nice house: https://www.dirt.com/gallery/enterta...laryswank_pp1/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:29 AM

We do things a little differently. The house (owned by a dog apparently) can be yours for $31million.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/a-multi-...ed-by-madonna/

Quote:
A multi-millionaire dog is selling a Miami mansion that was once owned by Madonna

The dog’s lineage dates back decades to when Gunther III inherited a multimillion-dollar trust from late owner German countess Karlotta Liebenstein when she died in 1992. Since then, a group of handlers have helped maintain a jet-setting lifestyle for a succession of dogs.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:10 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I bought a small house in Cincinnati this week. It's a 2-bed/1-bath that listed for $199k. I got it for $225k. My payments are going to be about $1,200, so about the price of a lot of nicer 2-bed apartments in the area. I already own other stuff in Cincinnati (in Clifton Heights and the West End) but I'm going to move into this house.

Here it is:

The woman who owned it put a lot of money into the place. It looks great.

It has a nice back yard:

And the sale includes an extra lot in the rear, which is oddly offset. I haven't looked into the history of the area yet so I don't know how this came about. I doubt that current zoning will allow a second house to be built in the rear section but it might be possible in the future, which would be a huge value.

very nice -- and congrats to you jake!

we just bought a condo.

it's pete davidson approved -- in staten island by the ferry.

we still have to close though.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 2:15 AM
Great White Norf

Niagara Region
Lake Erie waterfront, Port Colborne
Asking $2,500,000CAD/$2M USD
3,700sq ft, 2.1 acres, 175ft lake frontage

If Sopranos character "Johnny Sack" lived in Canada, he might very well set up shop in a place like this
includes a 1 bedroom guest house that I'm sure the future owner could rent as AirBnB during the summer time.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...-port-colborne

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 7:20 PM

From Architectural Digest:

Katharine Hepburn Once Slept in This Hollywood Home

A slice of Hollywood history is now available, as a Los Angeles apartment that was supposedly once home to golden age icons Katharine Hepburn and Ava Gardner is on the market for $1.25 million.

Now a condo building, the Shoreham was built by MGM Studios in 1937 as a Hollywood Regency–style hideaway for a litany of stars, including Marlene Dietrich, Joan Fontaine, Mary Martin, Olivia de Havilland, and Veronica Lake.

Though Apartment #A has been newly remodeled, it still offers classic elements, including a formal dining room with traditional wainscoting. “The romantic architecture is meant for someone who appreciates a storied history but who still values modern amenities and finishes,” Michael Nourmand, who holds the listing with Adam Sires, tells AD PRO.

Tucked away on a tree-lined cul-de-sac, the wrought iron gated building “effortlessly exudes Old Hollywood glamour with manicured gardens, lily ponds, and classic fountains,” Nourmand adds.

Outside of the Shoreham, which Katharine Hepburn supposedly once called home. Photo: Jeff Elson

Link to article: https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...al-estate-news

Link to an actual listing, with photos of the interior and exterior: http://www.nourmand.com/real-estate/...3217/116295989

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 9:33 PM

Apparently Andie MacDowell bought a house in Silver Lake:

From Dirt:

‘Maid’ Star Andie MacDowell Embraces 1920s Storybook Tudor in Silver Lake

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 3:24 AM

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Sandra Bullock Lists Stylishly Renovated Sierra Towers Condo for $4.5M

Bullock acquired the two-bedroom, 2.5-bath unit in 2014 for about $3.6 million.

BY JAMES MCCLAIN
DECEMBER 1, 2021 9:39AM

Sandra Bullock's Sierra Towers property. ZILLOW

With its distinctively midcentury architecture, its sweeping views of Los Angeles and its high-powered list of current and former residents, L.A.’s Sierra Towers skyscraper has more than earned its reputation as the city’s “strangest, sexiest” condo building. While units in the 31-story complex don’t often come up for grabs, now available is one celeb-pedigreed condo that has been exquisitely renovated by America’s sweetheart movie star.

Once owned by Friends star Matthew Perry and now owned by Sandra Bullock, the 22nd-floor aerie befits an Oscar winner with its epic views, which take in the Pacific Ocean, downtown L.A. skyline and everything in between. Bullock acquired the two-bedroom, 2.5-bath condo in 2014 for about $3.6 million and subsequently fixed it up; if you’ve got $4.5 million to spare and a hankering to live high above the bustling Sunset Strip, she’d like to hear from you.

The listing gushes about the 1,700-square-foot unit, calling it “one of the most valuable and desirable properties in the entire building.” The space is defined by its central open kitchen, complete with bespoke cabinetry and top-notch appliances, that spills into an open living/dining area with wraparound floor-to-ceiling walls of glass. A terrace boasts thrilling vistas, though guests prone to vertigo should step back. Both bedrooms have floor-to-ceiling glass sliders that also open to the terrace.

Sandra Bullock’s Sierra Towers unit. ZILLOW

Other current Sierra Towers residents include Adam Sandler, Kelly Osbourne, Courteney Cox, PJ Harvey and several billionaire business moguls. Former residents include everyone from Cher, Elton John and David Geffen to Lindsay Lohan and Joan Collins. Building amenities include 24/7 concierge, doormen, valet parking, a fitness center, sauna and a large communal swimming pool.

Bullock, 57, boasts one of Hollywood’s most impressive property portfolios — and a collection of homes that would put many billionaires to shame. In addition to the for-sale condo, she still owns a second Sierra Towers condo — purchased in 2017 for $5.1 million — two oceanfront houses in Malibu, a Beverly Hills cottage, a compound in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, a multistory townhouse in New York City, a multimillion-dollar mansion in Austin, Texas, several commercial properties elsewhere in Austin, a New Orleans vacation home, and a $20 million mansion in the mountains above Beverly Hills.

Sierra Towers ZILLOW

Link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...5m-1235055531/

Here's the Zillow listing for it, with more photos: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...20535004_zpid/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
very nice -- and congrats to you jake!

we just bought a condo.

it's pete davidson approved -- in staten island by the ferry.

we still have to close though.
I closed on the house today. Yesterday one of the downspouts fell off, totally randomly. Luckily, the seller agreed to pay to have it fixed.

I've been to New York 10+ times but have never set foot on Staten Island. Maybe I should burn a week of vacation and do a 7-day immersion to make up for lost time.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 4:31 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

For some reason, units in this building seem to go for way under their list price compared to nearby buildings: https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/40.../home/18761430

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 4:12 AM

From KTLA:

These are the most expensive homes that recently sold in Los Angeles

by: Stacker

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 / 12:12 PM PST / Updated: Dec 7, 2021 / 12:12 PM PST

Buying a home is an investment—and an increasingly expensive one. The median value of a home in the United States reached $295,300 in June 2020, according to the National Association of Realtors.

Home buyers have a lot to consider when house-hunting or looking to invest in rental properties, from the state of the housing market itself to taxes and potential resale value. To learn more about home prices in your state, Stacker compiled a list of the most expensive homes that recently sold in Los Angeles, California on realtor.com.

The housing market grew robust and pricey in the last decade following the 2008 recession, but the market could be slowed by rising interest rates. Such a downturn can be good news for potential home-buyers, as you’re more likely to be able to wager a deal on an otherwise overpriced house. Then there is the house itself to consider, including what kind of upkeep it requires (and those associated costs). Depreciation affects all homes at an average rate of 3.636% each year, which can be a help come tax season if you use your home for business or rentals—but may cost you later in capital gains taxes when you sell.

Meanwhile, land value tends to increase over time depending on several factors including where the house is located and what amenities and homes are nearby. More desirable neighborhoods allow sellers to charge more; the mantra “location, location, location” has never been more relevant.

Keep reading to find out the most expensive homes for sale in your area.

10. 1369 Londonderry Pl., Los Angeles ($26,000,000)

6 bedrooms; 8 bathrooms; 14,000 square feet; $1,857 per square foot

9. 120 S Mapleton Dr., Los Angeles ($27,000,000)

7 bedrooms; 8 bathrooms; 9,404 square feet; $2,871 per square foot (view listing on https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M26990-45273)

8. 53 Beverly Park, Beverly Hills ($29,000,000)

7 bedrooms; 11 bathrooms; 17,327 square feet; $1,673 per square foot (view listing on https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M93656-07998)

7. 624 N Bonhill Rd., Los Angeles ($29,850,226)

9 bedrooms; 14 bathrooms; 19,285 square feet; $1,547 per square foot (view listing on https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M17640-99087)

6. 334 S Burlingame Ave., Los Angeles ($30,000,000)

7 bedrooms; 11 bathrooms; 14,371 square feet; $2,087 per square foot (view listing on https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M27498-69170)

5. 14914 Corona del Mar, Pacific Palisades ($31,000,000)

4 bedrooms; 3 bathrooms; 3,500 square feet; $8,857 per square foot (view listing on https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M23087-43986)

4. 330 S Mapleton Dr., Los Angeles ($47,694,500)

6 bedrooms; 7 bathrooms; 27,816 square feet; $1,714 per square foot (view listing on https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M26837-24659)

3. 2188 Mandeville Canyon Rd., Los Angeles ($65,000,000)

6 bedrooms; 12 bathrooms; 19,000 square feet; $3,421 per square foot (view listing on https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M25066-27269)

2. 534 Barnaby Rd., Los Angeles ($69,000,000)

8 bedrooms; 13 bathrooms; 26,025 square feet; $2,651 per square foot (view listing on https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M20718-34331)

1. 1601 San Onofre Dr., Pacific Palisades ($83,000,000)

3 bedrooms; 4 bathrooms; 4,892 square feet; $16,966 per square foot (view listing on https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M11366-15147)

Link: https://ktla.com/news/local-news/the...n-los-angeles/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 4:52 PM

^Those Pacific Palisades houses are beautiful but yikes at those prices per square foot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions