HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 3:06 AM

Amazing shot of Metrotown!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 1:47 PM

Edit

Last edited by FrAnKs; Jan 30, 2022 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 7:08 PM

North Vancouver, BC

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 8:06 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 8:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

wow, really nice shot.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 8:33 PM

For a second, I thought it was Gold Coast, Queensland lol

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
more like Cold Coast.. but yes, it does give off that aesthetic a little bit.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 9:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

On the endless, dreary winter days, I sometimes wish we could swap the cold coast for the gold coast.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 9:27 PM
I am the law!

Summer is in the winter and winter is in the summer. Toilets flush in the wrong direction. bugs are the size of cats.

those are the days you curl up in front of a tv fireplace with doggie.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 10:12 PM

I don't think it would be the worst idea to build a large beachfront city that we could call our own, considering we don't really have any. Maybe one day we can densify/connect Wasaga Beach and Collingwood and call it Cold Coast/Skiers Paradise?

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 10:18 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I don't think it would be the worst idea to build a large beachfront city that we could call our own, considering we don't really have any. Maybe one day we can densify/connect Wasaga Beach and Collingwood and call it Cold Coast/Skiers Paradise?
Wasaga isn't an amazing beach and Blue Mountains isn't an amazing ski hill.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
100% especially with those waves.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
It’s called Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
It’s called Vancouver
Vancouver has beaches, but calling it a beachfront city with an ingrained beach culture would be a stretch. I’d say Tofino fits the bill better but it’s rather small.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Vancouver has beaches, but calling it a beachfront city with an ingrained beach culture would be a stretch. I’d say Tofino fits the bill better but it’s rather small.
Like any definition it’s a blurry line that we won’t find a consensus on.

I do with confidence say that Vancouver has the most robust and developed beach culture of any major Canadian city. Particularly in regards to its downtown core and close vicinity.

For example, there is no equivalent to English Bay in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Halifax, etc… that I have seen. And just to be fair, that includes Victoria as well. A coastal city that does have some beaches, but no real “English Bay” style area.

As for towns, White Rock is definitely a beach town.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 4:02 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I do with confidence say that Vancouver has the most robust and developed beach culture of any major Canadian city. Particularly in regards to its downtown core and close vicinity.

For example, there is no equivalent to English Bay in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Halifax, etc… that I have seen. And just to be fair, that includes Victoria as well. A coastal city that does have some beaches, but no real “English Bay” style area.

English Bay is definitely unique in Canada, but otherwise, Kits Beach, Spanish Banks, and Wreck Beach are basically about the same distance from the core and occupy the same role as Woodbine, Sunnyside, and Hanlans Beaches do in Toronto. Beach season is also about the same length and the water equally swimmable.

Neither are really what I'd call "beach cities", despite having some popular beaches.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 4:17 AM
BANNED

It's hilarious when we celebrate our absolute failure suburbs based upon their 'skylines'.
How totally braindead do you have to be?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 4:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
English Bay is definitely unique in Canada, but otherwise, Kits Beach, Spanish Banks, and Wreck Beach are basically about the same distance from the core and occupy the same role as Woodbine, Sunnyside, and Hanlans Beaches do in Toronto. Beach season is also about the same length and the water equally swimmable.

Neither are really what I'd call "beach cities", despite having some popular beaches.
Well those are some 'dick measurement' stats that virtually no one who enjoys any of those various beaches will give two effs about!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Have you ever been to West Vancouver, Kitsilano, West End or White Rock? Those are almost entirely bordered by seaside and beaches.

The Toronto beaches mentioned above, those are on a lake. I thought we were talking about coastal beaches, like Gold Coast which is what got this conversation started.
I’m sorry but Toronto is not a beach city. Just because it has beaches does not make it a beach city. Vancouver has the west coast beach vibe whether you’d like to admit it or not. Wreck Beach, Spanish Banks, Jericho, Kits, Sunset, English Bay, Second beach, Third Beach, Ambleside, Dundarave, and White Rock all have their own unique feel while being situated in urban areas as well as being the main draw to their respected neighborhoods. Vancouver is known for its beaches. As a Canadian city, it shoots well above its weight.

Last edited by Repthe250; Mar 3, 2022 at 7:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 7:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Based on my own speculation, I think that Burnaby may have more land available for employment development but it definitely does not have the job density that the COV has (nor do I think it is part of their plans). In fact, IIRC, Burnaby has more land set aside for light industrial uses which typically takes up more land than Offices and Retail centers. And that is taking into consideration that forms of high density industrial uses will start to become more predominant in the Metro region.

My speculative conclusion here is that even though Burnaby has more developable land geared towards the creation of employment opportunities, that the job densities offered in those areas will be outpaced by the COV and Surrey in the long term. I'm not saying it is a bad thing either as the region will need these kinds of land uses to support the region; I just don't think that more developable land = more jobs when I take into consideration what types of employment that will be offered in these spaces.

I know that you said in the long term but it will be a long, long time before the focus of the Metro region shifts away from the COV though. And even then, I doubt it would shift to Burnaby.

The COV is unmatched at this time when it comes to creating jobs. The second highest employment center in the province of BC is on Broadway Street in Vancouver (after downtown Vancouver) and now it is getting a Skytrain extension built right under it. Plus areas like Mt. Pleasant in the COV are definitely ramping up their own densities when it comes to employment centres.

It will be a long time before Burnaby can catch up and offer the employment opportunities that the COV does. And even then those employment opportunities will look different as I am sure that the competition for employment centers will come from Surrey in a big way.

It also seems to me that Burnaby doesn't have as much political momentum as Surrey when it comes to bringing jobs to their municipal area since most of its development seems to focus on residential with very small office/retail mixed portions of these developments; this is considering that there are some pockets of employment centres sprinkled throughout Burnaby (with some more industrial uses) on the way but I honestly think that Surrey will start to overtake Burnaby in the near future when it comes to job creation since its plans for the future are more ambitious and robust than say developing town centres focused on residential components with small portions of retail/office mixed uses.

Agreed.

I just see a lack of political momentum from Burnaby to really take advantage of this geographical location in the Metro region. I would think that with the larger land availability, the highway infrastructure, and the access to North America's 3rd largest port (Port of Vancouver), and access to some of the region's best transit infrastructure that Burnaby would be happy to race towards developing multiple diverse job creation centers.

But alas, we just don't see it in Burnaby and they quite frankly seem happy to continue developing residential focused town centers serving as the region's bedroom community even though they could be a lot more ambitious with developing office towers, Tech hubs, or light industrial centers .

Btw, I feel that this kind of intra-regional competition is actually a very good thing for Metro Vancouver overall but Burnaby is a little behind when it comes to developing an ambitious long-term development plan. And don't get me started on the missing middle SFH issue.
Blah blah blah .. who cares?
How will any of this affect the skylines?
That's all that matters! lol!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada