HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 4:13 AM

My wife watches those "real housewives" series, and I just go hide in my man cave when she does..I tried catching a few episodes of Real Housewives of Toronto when they featured it for one season, and it bored me..Ditto for their Vancouver one..The Canadian Housewives were pretty vanilla and had nothing on The Atlanta or Jersey one which I admit to watching a couple of times. Now a season featuring Montreal Housewives could be interesting.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 5:09 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Redding, CA: Sons of Anarchy

They never really make the location of the show that clear but it seems to be in the Central Valley north of the Bay Area and NOT the state capital (Sacramento) so that pretty much leaves Redding.
The setting was "Charming," a fictional town in San Joaquin County (Stockton), with excursions to other nearby areas like Oakland. There is one website that mentions Redding, but Redding and environs are too far from the port to be the setting in the way that the show was written.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
The setting was "Charming," a fictional town in San Joaquin County (Stockton), with excursions to other nearby areas like Oakland. There is one website that mentions Redding, but Redding and environs are too far from the port to be the setting in the way that the show was written.
Stockton seems too close to and in the orbit of the Bay Area but if you prefer it, OK. The point is that the show, which was a big hit, made life in either of these northern CV towns known in a way it never was before. Who outside CA ever knew or cared much about them before this show (or would have bothered debating which town it was)?

But it’s exactly BECAUSE Charming had no port and Stockton does that I think the analogy was to Redding. The characters travelled to Oakland in the episodes that involved a port. There are also lots of scenes of group riding through hilly country that doesn’t much exist around Stockton but those are my reasons for my choice. You have yours.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 2:03 PM

I'd agree that the way Charming is depicted, it would make sense to exist north of the Bay Area. The quintessential SOA opening scene is them riding through mountainous highways which scream Northern California. I always pictured the port scenes to be an excursion to Richmond or Oakland. Stockton is surrounded by flat farmland, but most of the show seems to imply that the area around Charming is heavily forested.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 2:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Austin

Real World Austin
911: Lone Star
Fear of The Walking Dead (Season 4)
Queer Eye (Season 6)
Twenty Something’s Austin

I’m sure there’s more

there sure is --
one of the most famous and long running shows on tv!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Windsor
- something focusing on the medical workers who commute into Detroit
- A thriller or horror within the backdrop of an auto factory
For anyone who watches the Umbrella Academy on Netflix, one of the episodes takes place in Windsor. It seems like few people noticed it, but Detroit's skyline was a silhouette in the background. I don't think they actually said it was Windsor in the story, but it's pretty obvious where it takes place if you're aware of what vantage points Detroit's skyline are most visible.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 2:57 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
there sure is --
one of the most famous and long running shows on tv!

Except it's now owned by a Nashville Company.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 3:31 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
except? except what? nobody knows that. otoh its unlikely the city of austin ever crossed anyone's mind until this long running pbs music show came on the air in 1974. its most definitely what put them on the map in tv land back when austin was if anything seen as just a sleepy/hippy/slacker/college town.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:29 AM

Not really Seattle (or TV), but Twilight seems to have put the modest town of Forks, WA on the map.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 1:58 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
Not really Seattle (or TV), but Twilight seems to have put the modest town of Forks, WA on the map.
i think somewhere around there was for twin peaks too.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 2:07 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Did you read this article at all? It does NOT say what you think it says. Austin City Limits is NOT owned by a Nashville company. Austin City Limits is produced by Austin PBS locally and always has been—it probably will continue to be produced locally as long as it remains on TV. What the article actually says is that the building in which the main ACL venue is located was sold by its Austin-based developer to a Nashville-based property management company. In other words, Austin PBS just has a different landlord for the venue where they film their show.

Details matter. Facts matter. The truth matters.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 12:32 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Did you read this article at all? It does NOT say what you think it says. Austin City Limits is NOT owned by a Nashville company. Austin City Limits is produced by Austin PBS locally and always has been—it probably will continue to be produced locally as long as it remains on TV. What the article actually says is that the building in which the main ACL venue is located was sold by its Austin-based developer to a Nashville-based property management company. In other words, Austin PBS just has a different landlord for the venue where they film their show.

Details matter. Facts matter. The truth matters.
Yes, I read the article and its implication was that the Ryman Hospitality Company which owns the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville becomes the 'operator' of the show. And that sounded like a form of ownership. Thanks for the clarification.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 1:39 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Yes, I read the article and its implication was that the Ryman Hospitality Company which owns the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville becomes the 'operator' of the show. And that sounded like a form of ownership. Thanks for the clarification.
That implication is not in the article at all… the word operate is in the article once:

Quote:
Opry Entertainment, a division of Ryman Hospitality Properties, owns and operates the Grand Ole Opry.
Again, there is nothing in the article that states that ACL was purchased or that it is being operated differently. Not sure how or why you’re thanking me for a clarification that you still seem to be arguing against?
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 6:18 PM

I'm sure it was already mentioned on here, but we've been binge watching Shameless for the past few weeks, and just got through season1!
I've never been to Chicago, but I can almost smell and feel the gritty South side just from watching the series..I can smell the dank carpets in the local watering hole that Frank goes to..The strong prescence of the trains running remind me of what I imagine Chicago to be.Does this series capture the essence of the Chicago gritty side?..The family being irish kind of surprises me though..I was half expecting the series to make them a third gen Polish family or similiar?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Some TV shows I associate with cities.

Breaking Bad put ABQ on the map. I read a few years ago right after Breaking Bad ended (I loved it...best TV series EVER) that there was a proposal to make "Los Pollos Hermanos" real, float stock, etc. I think it would have succeeded if the food was good. I'd choose it over El Pollo Loco. I guess the prequel/sequel Better Call Saul is still being made, although the star had a minor heart attack and covid keeps slowing production. Get it done "B*TCH!"...like it as much as Breaking Bad.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 23, 2022 at 7:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Some TV shows I associate with cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
TV Shows don't really put Canadian cities on maps, except maybe Toronto. Same with film (except there I'd also include Montreal). Reasonably sized and important Canadian cities like Ottawa and Edmonton essentially have zero films or TV shows set there. It's especially odd for Ottawa, seeing as it's pretty distinctive and the national capital. Sure, you could go on about name recognition among Americans, but one sure way to change that is to just make something about Ottawa, and it still doesn't prevent Canadian film/TV from making stuff in Ottawa. Outside of Toronto/Montreal, the only important and/or popular films to prominently features Canadian cities that come to mind are:

Vancouver - Are We Done Yet?
Calgary - Cool Runnings
Winnipeg - My Winnipeg
Quebec City - I Confess

For TV it's not much different. Halifax has Trailer Park Boys, Vancouver has Continuum and Beachcombers (technically just outside Vancouver in the Sunshine Coast), and that's about it.
Many of the "X Files" were filmed in Vancouver area.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 2:35 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I'm sure it was already mentioned on here, but we've been binge watching Shameless for the past few weeks, and just got through season1!
I've never been to Chicago, but I can almost smell and feel the gritty South side just from watching the series..I can smell the dank carpets in the local watering hole that Frank goes to..The strong prescence of the trains running remind me of what I imagine Chicago to be.Does this series capture the essence of the Chicago gritty side?..The family being irish kind of surprises me though..I was half expecting the series to make them a third gen Polish family or similiar?
I’ve never seen the show, but Bridgeport up until somewhat recently has been very white Irish while also being the home or birthplace of five Irish mayors of Chicago, representing all but 10 years between 1933 and 2011.

I’m gonna check it out.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Breaking Bad put ABQ on the map. I read a few years ago right after Breaking Bad ended (I loved it...best TV series EVER) that there was a proposal to make "Los Pollos Hermanos" real, float stock, etc. I think it would have succeeded if the food was good. I'd choose it over El Pollo Loco. I guess the prequel/sequel Better Call Saul is still being made, although the star had a minor heart attack and covid keeps slowing production. Get it done "B*TCH!"...like it as much as Breaking Bad.
I want to visit Albuquerque because of Breaking Bad. I never had a desire to go there before watching the show.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
For sure. I don't think anyone had ever heard of San Francisco and Chicago prior to the 1990s TGIF line-up.
Exactly

It's the same with all the moronic references to NYC shows here

Further proof that the two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity

By the way, the X Files didn't put Vancouver on the map precisely because the city never played itself on the show (Vancouver almost never gets to play itself) so most people didn't even know it was shot in Vancouver

Rouleau Saskatchewan (population 540) is the best example I can think of because I remember driving across Canada almost 15 years ago and really wanting to go there (but we didn't because it was out of our way and we were in a hurry) after enjoying many episodes of Corner Gas

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Jan 23, 2022 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 6:34 PM
E pluribus unum

My brother and I went to Albuquerque in 2011 when I was looking at it as a potential city for relocation after grad school. We squeezed in a few visits to Breaking Bad filming locations. Walter White's house, the car wash and Saul Goodman's strip mall office are all about a mile or less from each other in the northeast part of town.

We went to the White house on a Thursday morning. The woman who owns the house came out and spoke to us for a few minutes. She was incredibly nice and didn't have to do that at all but we were trying to be super respectful and she let us take a few photos of the house exterior. She told us Bryan Cranston did the pizza toss onto the garage roof in a single take. My brother and I didn't ask, nor have any desire (out of respect of privacy) to see the inside or backyard. Again, I can't stress how gracious she was to two dipshits at around 1015 on a Thursday morning in October 2011.

I say this because apparently an obnoxious group of fans bug the owners at all hours of the day to the point that the owners had to put up fencing around the front of the house. Allegedly people were showing up all hours of the day wanting to take house tours and some even tried throwing pizzas on the garage roof. Vince Gilligan, the shows creator, has pleaded with fans to be respectful and leave the homeowners alone.

I'm grateful my brother and I got to meet her and that she took the time to speak with us before fans took it too far. I hate that the homeowners' experience has been ruined by assholes.

Los Pollos Hermanos is actually a restaurant called Twisters in the southwest part of Albuquerque. A Los Pollos Hermanos logo is painted on a wall inside the restaurant and they have a guest book you can sign.

Then again, this was over a decade ago. I'm sure things have changed. Albuquerque is like my perfect city: Not too big, four seasons, gorgeous southwestern scenery. Economy, unless you work for Intel, Sandia or the air force base, is practically nonexistent. My girlfriend lived there for about a year in fourth grade (her dad worked at Intel) and hated it, so trying to go back to visit (it's four hours from Flagstaff) hasn't been an option.

I'd love to get a Lotaburger with green chiles...

If this link works, here's some of the photos I took: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EXyCEjvaXWTBPGYD6

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions