HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 5:50 PM

Vancouver's backyard

Did a 3-day hike with a buddy in august along the Sea-to-Sky corridor above Vancouver. Didn't bring enough water (totally dehydrated by the time we got to the closest water source at the end of day 2) but did bring my drone! lol

Video Link

Did some establishing shots in downtown Vancouver, which is about 30 min drive from the start of the hike.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 9:07 PM
Illustrator, editor

Amazing shots! Sounds like a hard and difficult hike...but everything for the art!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 4:08 PM

I did a drone flight in Dec =) was tempted to go closer to the plane but didn't want to get in trouble!

Video Link

Last edited by gentlepuppies; Jan 8, 2022 at 5:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 6:28 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Great video!

I've got to mentioned that as someone who's studying for their basic and advance drone licenses, you're not just risking getting in trouble flying where you were from 1:30 onward. That's highly controlled airspace along the water near Coal Harbour. You're looking at thousands of dollars of fines, and a possible jail sentence if caught even if you're using a drone under 250g. You could even have to deal with lawsuits from Harbour Air as they rent the airspace, and might look at an RPAs in their airspace as highly dangerous to their pilots, crew and customers. Make sure to keep clear at least 1 nautical mile of that area. If you get caught, it's going to really, really suck.

I don't mean to scare you from flying or anything (what you've captured is awesome), I'm just passing on what I've learned these past couple of weeks.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 1:46 AM

That video was awesome! I'd say lay low for awhile after that tho haha.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 4:03 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Nice videos, great camerawork.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 5:43 AM

@gaillo - 1 mile from Harbour Air's airspace is basically all of downtown no? I was also wary of the rich nimbys who might be ready to report me from their windows so I did the take off and landing as quick as possible to minimize the number of people who knew I was doing it haha

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlepuppies View Post
@gaillo - 1 mile from Harbour Air's airspace is basically all of downtown no? I was also wary of the rich nimbys who might be ready to report me from their windows so I did the take off and landing as quick as possible to minimize the number of people who knew I was doing it haha
Pretty much.

Flying downtown is illegal with any kind of drone due to the heliport at Coal Harbour. You can get permission to fly, but you need an advanced or SPOC license, and you'll need to be in constant communication with the local ground control station.

The other hurdle is flying close to any of those apartment buildings. The law states that a drone must be at least 30 meters from a person's residences at all times unless they have permission. This is to protect an individual's privacy on their property.

Through my studies, I've learned that Canada is an extremely inhospitable place for recreational drone flying, especially in urban areas and national parks. While I think the rules around aerodromes are good, they could loosen up some of the other ones a bit. I mean, it's basically impossible to legally fly a drone in Canada as a tourist unless you go through the hassle of getting a basic drone license.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 2:52 PM

This is what I'm getting from the GC's website:

"Pilots of micro drone don’t need to register their drone or get a drone pilot certificate to fly them. Pilots of micro drones are not bound by the same requirements as other drones. However, you must not operate your drone in a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of anyone.

While there are no prescriptive elements of the regulations, there is an expectation that the pilot of a micro drone to use good judgment, identify potential hazards, and take all necessary steps to avoid any risks associated with flying your drone."

The 1 nautical mile thing seems to be associated with drones between 250g and 25kg

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlepuppies View Post
This is what I'm getting from the GC's website:

"Pilots of micro drone don’t need to register their drone or get a drone pilot certificate to fly them. Pilots of micro drones are not bound by the same requirements as other drones. However, you must not operate your drone in a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of anyone.

While there are no prescriptive elements of the regulations, there is an expectation that the pilot of a micro drone to use good judgment, identify potential hazards, and take all necessary steps to avoid any risks associated with flying your drone."

The 1 nautical mile thing seems to be associated with drones between 250g and 25kg
Interesting. I guess flying sub-250g drones come with a lot of perks. I've got to imagine flying within the boundaries of an airport/heliport is still a big no-no though.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 10:36 PM

The city drone flight is quite dramatic with the winter look and ominous music!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos