HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Washington Blvd or Abbot Kinney never had homeless camps. I stayed at the Jamica Bay Inn hotel on Washington Blvd in the height of covid in 2020, and you could barely tell anything bad was going on. Tourists everywhere, bicyclists, people at outdoor cafes etc. Same for Abbot Kinney. There never were homeless south of the pier, which is half of Venice's oceanfront real estate.

The LA haters who do the you tube videos wouldn't dare video there, because it would destroy their dumb narratives. It's still hilarious a guy from Virgina is telling LA residents these neighborhoods are full of mentally ill, because he watched some biased video. So weird.
I think this is the same guy on another thread who said on a visit to LA he literally saw homeless people throughout his whole ride from North Hollywood to LAX. I was like 'what route did that Uber driver take??' He also supposedly "feared for his life" when he saw homeless people near the Cecil, or something. But the Cecil is right next to Skid Row. I've walked around the Cecil, and I've been to Cole's numerous times, and haven't "feared for my life" just because I saw homeless people. Maybe he needs to toughen up? He seems to have an agenda.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:26 AM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I think this is the same guy on another thread who said on a visit to LA he literally saw homeless people throughout his whole ride from North Hollywood to LAX. I was like 'what route did that Uber driver take??' He also supposedly "feared for his life" when he saw homeless people near the Cecil, or something. But the Cecil is right next to Skid Row. I've walked around the Cecil, and I've been to Cole's numerous times, and haven't "feared for my life" just because I saw homeless people. Maybe he needs to toughen up? He seems to have an agenda.
It's funny to because most big Virginia cities have much more crime than LA does.

I'd rather walk through the worst parts of North Hollywood than some areas around Alexandria.
Lot of bad housing projects you don't wanna mess with.

He'll, there's scary housing projects in Reston you don't wanna walk around in.

Last edited by LA21st; Jan 6, 2022 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:35 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
No doubt. He's one of those axe grinder types. I'm not sure why. It's not like Californians are going around various threads trashing Virginia. In fact, in all my years on SSP, I don't think I've seen any California posters even mention Virginia. I believe in another thread, he said something snarky about how Californians live with tent encampments and syringes outside their doors. Clearly, California bothers him and he constantly wants to let us know about it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
No doubt. He's one of those axe grinder types. I'm not sure why. It's not like Californians are going around various threads trashing Virginia. In fact, in all my years on SSP, I don't think I've seen any California posters even mention Virginia. I believe in another thread, he said something snarky about how Californians live with tent encampments and syringes outside their doors. Clearly, California bothers him and he constantly wants to let us know about it.
It's so weird.
We have guys from

Michigan
Ohio
Virginia

Now.

It's kinda sad and hilarious.

I talk about Virginia now because I'm annoyed by his snark.
I'm from Va, I know how bad it can suck. So if he wants to keep it up, go ahead.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 6:04 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Great Lakes beaches don't get enough credit.
They really don't.

And for all of the coastal folks, this isn't to say that great lakes beaches are exactly the same as ocean beaches, or better than ocean beaches, or whatever the fuck, just that if you showed the pic below to 100 coastal Americans and asked them to guess which US state it was taken in, i would imagine that exactly zero of them would answer "Indiana", or any other dreaded landlocked fly-over state.

source: https://statesymbolsusa.org/place/in...onal-lakeshore

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 6:11 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
They really don't.

And for all of the coastal folks, this isn't to say that great lakes beaches are exactly the same as ocean beaches, or better than ocean beaches, or whatever the fuck, just that if you showed the pic below to 100 coastal Americans and asked them to guess which US state it was taken in, i would imagine that exactly zero of them would answer "Indiana", or any other dreaded land-locked fly-over state.

source: https://statesymbolsusa.org/place/in...onal-lakeshore
haha, the Chicago Skyline in the background is a dead giveaway though

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 6:18 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
They really don't.

And for all of the coastal folks, this isn't to say that great lakes beaches are exactly the same as ocean beaches, or better than ocean beaches, or whatever the fuck, just that if you showed the pic below to 100 coastal Americans and asked them to guess which US state it was taken in, i would imagine that exactly zero of them would answer "Indiana", or any other dreaded land-locked fly-over state.
I think before I joined the forum I would've definitely had a difficult time guessing this location. But now, I probably would've guessed one of the Great Lake states. There are some big sand dunes by the Pacific Ocean like Pismo Beach but they flatten out once you hit the water's edge and there's not as much vegetation on the dunes themselves. Obviously the water in the Pacific is much darker as well.

And I haven't seen many photos of big dunes next to beaches for the Atlantic seaboard either.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 6:26 AM

I love lake Michigan.
I lived by it for 9 of my 10 years in Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 6:49 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I think before I joined the forum I would've definitely had a difficult time guessing this location. .
Exactly.

The notion that actual beaches could exist 1,000 miles from the nearest drop of salt water simply isn't anywhere remotely close to being on the radar screen of people who don't know any better due to lack of first hand experience (or from not wasting their lives on online nerd forums like this one ).

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 6, 2022 at 8:04 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

The notion that actual beaches could exist 1,000 miles from the nearest drop of salt water simply isn't anywhere remotely close to being on the radar screen of people who simply don't know any better due to lack of first hand experience.
It's not like people from Wyoming or Vermont or Oklahoma or Kentucky can identify Indiana beaches by random photo, either. While most everyone knows that some lakes have beaches, the idea that everyone should be able to identify that photo or else be some sort of damnable coastal elitist is silly.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 7:03 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ you're missing the point.

It's not that every single american should be able to pinpoint the exact geo-coordinates of that picture, just that many (most?) people in coastal america have little awareness that there are some pretty cool beaches in our nation that aren't located anywhere close to the coasts.

Every single last person in the great lakes region knows that there are cool beaches in California.

The inverse is much less true (homebucket just directly admitted it).

Hence the original comment of "great lakes beaches don't get enough credit".

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 6, 2022 at 8:01 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions