HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:08 AM

Big Bear Lake, CA blurb

On Sunday, 12.5.2021, my partner and I went up to the city of Big Bear Lake, which is up in the San Bernardino Mountains, slightly less than a 2-hour drive from our apartment in South Pasadena. We hadn't been there in a number of years. It is on the south rim of the actual lake called Big Bear Lake, and the city of Big Bear Lake is adjacent to the unincorporated community of Big Bear City, which I find odd, being that it's unincorporated, yet calls itself a city. Confused? Surrounding the area are various sites to go skiing. But, it hasn't snowed yet this season, and it was bright and sunny when we went (but cool). There were some ski areas we passed by that looked like they were doing the artificial snow thing. But later this week, there's a chance of snow in the mountains and rain in the lower elevations...

Big Bear is sort of a tourist trap. It becomes a "winter wonderland" for some people in southern California, when everything gets covered in snow. I remember as a kid, staying a weekend here with my family one winter, and sliding down a snow-covered hill in an inner tube. I went into a little dip and flew up and then got thrown from the inner tube and fell flat on my face in the snow, and then other people on their inner tubes started running into me.

Anyway, I took a few random pictures and for shits and giggles, decided to post them... and then you'll see why we really went up to Big Bear.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

I'm wondering why Big Bear hasn't become a mecca for gay bears during the summer Pride months.

Photo by me

Some weeks ago, my partner and I got to talking about momos, which we love to eat, and we kind of joked "we should do a momo tour of southern California." Well, right after that, we ended up having momos somewhere in Orange County (Placentia, I believe it was), and then over the weekend I saw that there was a Himalayan restaurant in Big Bear, and I said "Hey, let's go to Big Bear and have some momos." And he said "OK."

So, while the Mexican restaurants, pizza places and burger and beer places were crowded, we went here:

Photo by me

They had some nice thangkas.

This one is the White Tara.

Photo by me

And this one is Amoghasiddhi Buddha.

Photo by me

Their momos were delicious, as was their apricot stuffed naan. Mmmm, mmm!

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 6:24 AM

Beautiful,I’ve only been to Big Bear once and stayed in a cabin/house for a couple of days in the winter and there was a lot of snow on the ground. It was in the middle of the week so no tourist, and the main boulevard was more of a typical city street full of stores with your everyday essentials. It didn’t look like the quaint village you captured, I figured it was somewhere nearby but I didn’t go out too much because it was too cold outside.

Usually I seem to always end up in Lake Arrowhead when would I would go up, but eventually I stopped visiting because I didn’t like driving there. It became stressful as a lot of people drive like idiots and way too fast on those curvy roads. Now if I could just find someone else to drive, hopefully I’ll get up there soon to let my son experience snow and visit Big Bear. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:41 PM

I always got the feeling that Big Bear was a bit low-brow/honky tonk. I'm more used to Whistler/Park City vibes. Is it worth a weekend trip? Or is it a bit crusty?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:43 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I always got the feeling that Big Bear was a bit low-brow/honky tonk. I'm more used to Whistler/Park City vibes. Is it worth a weekend trip? Or is it a bit crusty?
I don't see why not. It's a lot closer than the next ski resort, Mammoth.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Beautiful,I’ve only been to Big Bear once and stayed in a cabin/house for a couple of days in the winter and there was a lot of snow on the ground. It was in the middle of the week so no tourist, and the main boulevard was more of a typical city street full of stores with your everyday essentials. It didn’t look like the quaint village you captured, I figured it was somewhere nearby but I didn’t go out too much because it was too cold outside.

Usually I seem to always end up in Lake Arrowhead when would I would go up, but eventually I stopped visiting because I didn’t like driving there. It became stressful as a lot of people drive like idiots and way too fast on those curvy roads. Now if I could just find someone else to drive, hopefully I’ll get up there soon to let my son experience snow and visit Big Bear. Thanks for sharing.
The village strip is about 2 blocks further up from the main commercial strip. You actually pass the beginning of it and turn towards the lake as you make your way into the city but if you're not paying attention, you can miss it

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 7:20 PM
Me?!?

Beautiful!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
I think it makes a nice day trip; we were last in Big Bear some years ago and went hiking. I don't know what you're into, so I'm not sure if you'd like another visit to Big Bear. I've never been to Whistler or Park City, but hey, Big Bear has momos.

I know what you mean though about it being a bit low-brow, but at least it's not a pretentious place, which is a good thing. That's why I don't like Napa or Carmel; as pretty as they are, I find them too pretentious/hoity-toity, at least the people who like to go there are.

My partner and I were talking about it, but we remembered Big Bear being somewhat rundown looking, but on this visit it seems that they've fixed things up.

I don't know if you've ever been to Idyllwild, but that mountain town is smaller and more low-key than Big Bear, and somehow not as low-brow. We even sensed an LGBTQ presence in Idyllwild (maybe because of its proximity to Palm Springs?). We've been there a number of times to go hiking and to eat at a restaurant that we like there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post

My partner said that growing up, sometimes he and his family would go to Arrowhead.

Yeah, I think your son would like the snow in Big Bear. And after playing in the snow, you and your wife and son could go to a place there and bond over hot chocolate or something.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 7:46 AM

Looks like a hillier Frankenmuth, Michigan.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 4:56 AM

Nice pictures. I like Western towns and cities up in the mountains and surrounded by ponderosa pines!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 10:16 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Been up there a few times since coming to San Bernardino County, but never around the time it snows. Hopefully this winter I’ll check it out and do some sledding and then maybe surfing the same day

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 1:44 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Looks like a hillier Frankenmuth, Michigan.

that was the first thing that came to mind for me too.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 7:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If you're expecting Aspen or Whistler you're going to be disappointed, bc that's not what it's about and that's not what it's striving to be.

I've gone there in the summer and winter. The last time I was there we rented out an AirBnb house in June 2020 in the Moonridge neighborhood. It's a beautiful quiet area, near the slopes. I would recommend that you avoid the peak tourism season. The traffic going up the mountain can be really bad at times, but once you arrive the clean, crisp mountain air is well worth the drive. The lake is nice, the surrounding mountains are better.

The best thing, it's an easy getaway from LA and SD.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 4:56 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
If you're expecting Aspen or Whistler you're going to be disappointed, bc that's not what it's about and that's not what it's striving to be.

I've gone there in the summer and winter. The last time I was there we rented out an AirBnb house in June 2020 in the Moonridge neighborhood. It's a beautiful quiet area, near the slopes. I would recommend that you avoid the peak tourism season. The traffic going up the mountain can be really bad at times, but once you arrive the clean, crisp mountain air is well worth the drive. The lake is nice, the surrounding mountains are better.

The best thing, it's an easy getaway from LA and SD.
Great review, it really is a welcome destination so close to LA and SD.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 11:05 PM

It looks cuter than I remember, but then I haven't been there as an adult despite living in the region!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 4:19 PM

Can feel like a tourist trap during off seasons but that is also the best time to go hiking.
https://www.discoverbigbearlake.com/things-to-do/hiking

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos