HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 6:56 PM

What's wrong with the convenience foods industry??? Could you imagine the business a big Tokyo Express could do ajacent to ASU downtown? There is a huge built-in market there now. I've got to think that coffee houses, deli's and a variety of ethnic fast-food places are forthcoming and in quick order. If not, I would be amazed.

Last edited by JimInCal; Dec 17, 2006 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 7:24 PM

I'm surprised the ones already there havn't made changes. Is the ASU population not enough to warrant staying open later? Have any of the fast food places even tried to extend their hours to see if it's worth it?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 12:25 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
The students ought to all be taken out and slapped, what a bunch of idiots. You are in college, you need to learn to make your own fun. I just got done going to school for 4 years in Webster Groves, Missouri, the definition of quiet suburbs. But my friends and were always having a great time. Its not the school (or anyone else's) job to make life fun for you, you have to go out and find it. Life isn't going to be like an episode of "My Super Sweet 16" where everyone spends thousands to please your dumb ass.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 9:11 PM

From http://phoenixcityliving.typepad.com/

The City of Phoenix and ASU are currently working on the development of the Taylor Mall pedestrian corridor. The area known as Taylor Mall will run along Taylor Street from Central Avenue to Third Avenue.

The proposed project is designed to enhance the pedestrian environment along this section of Taylor Street. Ten Eyck Landscape Architects were chosen as the primary design group and Jack Mackie has been commissioned for the public art for Taylor Mall. The project is being funded from the $5 million approved by voters in the 2006 bond election.

A public meeting is being held on Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 at 5:30pm, to present the proposed Taylor Mall streetscape improvement concepts. No business will be conducted nor any action taken at this meeting. The event is open to the public and individuals and group directly affected by the ASU Downtown Campus are encouraged to attend. The meeting is being held in the Phoenix City Hall First Floor Assembly Rooms A & B (200 W. Washington Street).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 3:23 PM

Regional Roundup

Jan. 10, 2007 12:00 AM

PHOENIX: The council will vote on an agreement today that will allow Arizona State University to build a student-housing project downtown. The meeting is at 3 p.m. at 200 W. Jefferson St.

PHOENIX: Organizers of the Champ Car World Series race and festival will announce details today about the Nov. 30-Dec. 2 downtown event.

I wonder if any specific plans will be revealed about the student-housing project or if if it will just be a "go ahead" and they will discuss the details at a later time.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 12:58 AM

I attended the Central Village Planning meeting on Monday and then the meeting where they gave the renderings/plans of the Taylor Street Mall last night....so I have a few things to post...I just have to get my notes out.

But, the question I have first is does anyone know anything about the "Sliver" building on Taylor Street? I have no idea if that is how to spell it, but that is what they kept saying. Next to the AZ Republic parking garage. Is going to be constructed by Urbistruct. They kept talking about it at the Taylor Mall meeting and a guy from Urbistruct was in the audience, but I had to leave otherwise I would have tried to tackle him for information.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 2:24 PM

Wow, the news sure is coming fast right now...

City Council will lease land to ASU for dorms

Ginger D. Richardson
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 11, 2007 12:00 AM

PHOENIX - City Council members agreed Wednesday to lease several parcels of downtown land to Arizona State University so that the property can be redeveloped into a $150 million student housing project.

Detailed plans have not yet been released but Deputy City Manager David Cavazos said that early concepts call for the construction of two 16-story towers that average about 170 feet in height.

The towers' design and construction will be funded entirely by a private developer, who will, in turn, charge students rent. advertisement

"We are very excited about this project," Cavazos said. The student housing will be built in two phases, the first of which will open in fall 2008, and contain about 700 to 750 beds. The second phase will bring an additional 500 to 550 beds to downtown.

The project will be on the northern edge of the downtown Phoenix campus, just north of Taylor Street, between First and Second streets. The prime location means the dorm will be sandwiched between the university's primary academic buildings.

It is also forcing the relocation of a few existing downtown businesses, including Mary Ann Avila's Downtown Laundry and Dry Cleaners, which is being razed.

But on Wednesday, Avila and her attorney said they were in support of the student housing plan.

Avila will receive $200,000 from the developer and her current landlord, plus relocation assistance from the city.

She said she is close to signing a new deal that would allow her to reopen her laundry elsewhere in the downtown area, although she declined to disclose the specific location.

Representatives from the Valley Youth Theatre also spoke in favor of the plan. Officials there had been expected to oppose the student housing proposal because of worries it may encroach on city-owned land that had been set aside for their own expansion plans.

However, a Wednesday meeting with Cavazos and other city staff seemed to put those concerns to rest.

"We are very encouraged by the meeting this afternoon," said Bob Cooper, Valley Youth's producing artistic director, who added that he was "very excited" about the ASU project.

But, he said, "It was important to us that it wasn't done at the expense of the children that the Valley Youth Theatre has been supporting for the past 18 years."

Cavazos said that the city and ASU have pledged to work with the Valley Youth Theatre on their expansion efforts and would look at retaining a private firm to redevelop the roughly 35,000 square feet of vacant land around its existing building. They also will work with them on potential funding sources, he said.

Details will need to be worked out over the next 30 to 60 days.

ASU is under a tight deadline to deliver the project, considered critical to the success of the new campus.

Last year in Tempe, more than 1,300 students from the College of Public Programs, the College of Nursing, University College and the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication lived in on-campus housing.

By fall 2008, all of those programs will have moved to downtown Phoenix, where ASU currently has beds for only 260 students.

Two 16-story towers sure will be nice on the northern edge of DT. Can't wait. Should help the AZ Center towers blend in a little better and not look so distant from the core, of course, the Sheraton Hotel will do a better job of that. Great news lately, and it sounds as if most of the projects aren't of the pipe dream nature, it sounds like they'll actually be built. Great news about CPE, I hope they are still planning on going TALL!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevilgrad View Post
City Council will lease land to ASU for dorms

Two 16-story towers sure will be nice on the northern edge of DT. Can't wait. Should help the AZ Center towers blend in a little better and not look so distant from the core, of course, the Sheraton Hotel will do a better job of that. Great news lately, and it sounds as if most of the projects aren't of the pipe dream nature, it sounds like they'll actually be built. Great news about CPE, I hope they are still planning on going TALL!
I'm very happy they decided to go with two 16-story towers as well. It could have been piddlier than that from the first indication of what was planned. Hope the design is at least somewhat creative and not completely utilitarian. It's great to see more talk about Central Park East. The original renderings were something out of the former Eastern Block though. I hope it gets a complete redesign ...something 45-50 floors would be grand!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 10:18 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...rms0113Z3.html

Another article on the City Council approving the ASU dorms downtown...pretty much same old news, two 16 story buildings rising about 170', but there was on new nice fact at the end of this article...

"The university is hoping to place a grocery store or perhaps a fast-food restaurant on the project's ground floor."

That would be great to see, another grocery store downtown, although I'm sure it would be small, but still much needed. Even a fast food restaurant would not be bad...maybe a McDonalds, KFC, or Taco Bell...something that isn't already there.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 10:41 PM

To kind of answer my question a little bit..

I checked for permits for the school of journalism and it seems work on that end has been ongoing. The latest shows on 12/27/06 Permit# PRLM-0605802. It looks like SUNDT will be the contractor and the description looks like this...

DESCRIPTION OF WORK: A 244000 MULTI LEVEL LOW RISE BUILDING CONSISTING OF OFFICE RETAIL AND CLASSROOMS (UNIVERSITY ) LOCATED IN THE DOWNTOWN CORE DISTRICT. THE BUILDING IS SIX STORIES WITH RETAIL ON GROUND LEVEL OFFIEC AND CLASS ROMS 2ND THRU 6TH FLRS TV STUDIOS ON THE TOP FLOOR.

Nice to see it will have ground floor retail.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 10:46 PM

On what cross streets will it be located?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 10:57 PM

The school of journalism?

It will be on the block bound by Central and 1st St, Taylor and Fillmore.

The new student housing is going to go on the block directly east of it.

Last edited by HX_Guy; Jan 29, 2007 at 11:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
The school of journalism?

It will be on the block bound by Central and 1st St, Taylor and Fillmore.

The new student housing is going to go on the block directly east of it.
It seems like such a waste of space... why not combine the School of Journalism and ASU dorms on the same block? No way will the 6-story, 244,000 SF building take up that ENTIRE city block, it probably won't even take up half or even a third. What will make up the rest of the room? A parking lot? The old 411 building just south of it is probably bigger than what the planned school of journalism is to become and that doesn't even take up half. Why not put up both buildings on the west lot, keep the east lot as parking (to be developed in the future?). Nothing like a Super block filled with a wasteful 6-story building. Why do they keep saying there isn't enough land? There would be plenty if they didn't waste so much of it. They should look to the az republic/convention center hotel block as a model.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:29 PM

I'm guessing the rest will be parking since there is no mention of underground parking. Each floor will have about 40,000 sq ft right? That that whole block is probably around 2.2 acres (like the Patriot's Park parcel) which is roughly 95,000 sq ft. So yea, it won't even take up half the land. They could have definately put the dorms on the same parcel Im sure...but maybe it would have been more costly to do underground parking?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:39 PM

If it is all ASU, just make the entire east block a parking lot for both the dorms and the journalism school. Then if you need that land in the future, build a garage along with new buildings.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:44 PM

Yea who knows what the plans are. They are also demolishing what is there now, except for the Youth Theatre, which is actually supposed to be expanded.

It's pretty obvioulsy both the dorms and the school of journalism will be on the southern halves of each block, creating a nice walkable Tylor street.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 2:09 AM

ASU Student Housing

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...rms0113Z3.html

This article, earlier in January states the dorms will be two, 16-story buildings. This is a bit better use of that space....more height.

"...Detailed plans for the units have not been released, but Cavazos said early concepts call for two 16-story towers about 170 feet tall. The towers' design and construction will be funded entirely by a private developer, who will, in turn, charge students rent. Plans call for the student housing to be built in two phases, the first of which will open in fall 2008 and contain about 750 beds. The second phase will have 500 to 550 beds..."

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 2:38 AM

That would be great if the student housing were in two 16-story buildings. And I agree that it will be a waste to only put a 6-story building on the other block, but when you figure the parking needs of over 1000 student beds, plus the classroom space and other amenities, perhaps it would have gone too tall. There's got to be a point where the cost of going tall outweighs the cost of a second low-rise structure, especially when the city is giving away the land.

Also, don't forget those pictures we saw a while back of the Taylor Street Mall which would create a nice little student district with housing, shops, classrooms, etc. all together in a small walkable area. If they were to build all the amenities in one tall building, it would mean that one of the blocks of the "mall" would be a vacant lot/parking lot instead of shops/retail. It would also mean that if students could live and go to school all in the same building, without ever going to the ground floor, it would discourage the pedestrian traffic and feel that will make that "mall" a successful area.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 3:27 PM

Downtown campus to have its own Memorial Union
New center, set to open March, equipped with pool tables, TV, music
by Jeff Mitchell
published on Wednesday, January 31, 2007
advertisement
In order to improve upon the quality of student life for the Downtown campus, construction began on a new 5,000 square foot student activity center in the Arizona Center, 455 N. Third St.

The new student center, scheduled to open mid-March, will bring a much-needed gathering place for students, said Kevin Cook, vice provost dean of student affairs.

Although students can gather in the University Center, the student center will have pool tables, music, three big-screen televisions and have offices for student clubs, Cook said.

Nursing freshman Zack Bremer said the student space is needed.

"I think they desperately need it because there is not much for the students to do [at the Downtown campus]," Bremer said.

Having a place for students to hang out could be a vast improvement, he added.

Rene Sanchez, social work senior, said, "It can be a place for students to walk to and hang out rather than sit in their rooms and watch TV."

The student center will be located on the second floor above the AMC theater on the northwest corner of the Arizona Center - one block from the Residential Commons and two blocks from the University Center.

There are about 4,000 square feet for student organization offices and student space and about 1,000 square feet for a banking area with tellers, said Tony Martinez, a contractor for D.K. Realtec, a company working on the facility.

The MU on the Tempe Campus also has restaurants and services for students; the hope is the Arizona Center itself will serve as an MU for students, Cook said.

Karl Huizenga, district manager of Sportsfan - a sporting goods store located in the Arizona Center - said he looks forward to the new student center.

"I think it's fantastic," Huizenga said. "It will bring more people down to the Arizona Center."

Currently, there are about 134 students living in the Residential Commons, which is 20 less than the previous semester, said Laura Ellis, Residential Commons coordinator.

Students should recognize the Downtown campus is different than Tempe, Ellis said. It's a smaller community with an urban environment.

"If that appeals to you, you should be downtown," he added.

The student center is available to all ASU students, not just those who live on the Downtown campus, said Christina Hernandez, ASU coordinator for new student programs and traditions.

Nursing freshman Tara Reynolds commutes to the Downtown campus for her classes from Peoria.

"I think it's kind of neat," Reynolds said of the student center. "But, I don't know if I'd use it or not."

Reynolds said she likes the Downtown campus, but only spends time there to attend classes.

Nursing freshman Lauren Harley said the center may be great for the weekends.

I thought they were going to use the old post office as a student union? Maybe there will be two, or maybe this is just the interim MU?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 6:44 AM

Looks like permits have started to be issued for the ASU Downtown Student Housing.

Permit# PAPP-0700527
Description/Scope of Work: PRE-APPLICATION SCREEN
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: 370,000 S.F PROJECT IN THE DOWNTOWN CORE DISTRICT CONSISTING OF 2 HIGH-RISE DORMITORY TOWER FOR STUDENT HOUSING FACILITY FOR ASU DOWNTOWN CAMPUS

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest