HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 1:25 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Maybe they could bargain for a more affordable unit number in favor of the community. There is already a school being provided, and maybe a 10% increase in affordable units in exchange for the current height that is planned.

Or transit perks like investing in local transit or street improvements. Surely something to make the community "happy".

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 7:08 PM

^ Those people don't care about affordable housing. In fact, they probably hate having more lower income people in their neighborhood.

These people are against the size and density of this project. Giving them anything else will not change that.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 10:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hate to say it, but there are good NIMBYs. The ones who would be happy for fighting a development not because of the height, no, but because of the affordable component. The minute they pull that down sizing rubbish, they are now part of Chris's Axis of Evil. Ship them to Bikini Island, and then ratify the nuclear testing treaty of 1996 to allow for testing to occur.

Hint: Bikini Island use to be a testing ground

It's a win-win. Build towers that help our cities growth, and reduce NIMBY involvement. They always like to see sunlight, and what better way to see the sun than in a bright flash.

Just pitching ideas. My other one was to ship NIMBYS to Madagascar. That might be the environmentally, LEED friendly method.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 9:21 AM
BANNED

They are against the size and density, but what's new. This is the same thing that most people are against in this country. Most people like small low-rise areas to live in and want to pretend they live in the country. Most people prefer the suburban life and that's why sprawl is rampant. Many people have a suburban mentality even when they live in megacities. They wouldn't last a second in Hong Kong which is far denser than even NY.

In some cases NIMBYS are useful and we could all be NIMBY's under the right circumstances, but come on, these towers are very impressive and must be built to give Brooklyn an architectural modern core.

Last edited by aquablue; Aug 31, 2017 at 12:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 2:12 AM
New Yorker for life

https://thebridgebk.com/champion-dow...-all-together/

Downtown Brooklyn’s Champion Aims to Take It Up a Notch
How Regina Myer, president of the neighborhood's business partnership, plans to keep its remarkable growth on track

Regina Myer, president of the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership, photographed on the roof of The Gotham, on Ashland Place

By THE EDITORS
August 31, 2017

Quote:
3. What’s your position on big projects like 80 Flatbush Ave.?

I think the brilliance of that proposal is that the Alloy team realized the potential of that site. It’s a large site and it already has a school on the site, a 19th century school building, which is so charming. Alloy put together a proposal that really builds on those strengths, adding space for a second school, and respecting the historic nature the beautiful building on the corner. They also had the foresight to integrate Class A office space into the project, which, in addition to the other infrastructure the project will provide, will really meet a critical need downtown.

What I’d like to promote is that all these large sites should be developed to their potential in terms of mixed use. City Point leads in that way. The development team there also had a large site, a failing mall site. They understood the shopping potential, given its prominent location, but added residential and a modicum of office to that because they understood that this format makes sense.

4. Work has started on Brooklyn’s first supertall. What’s your take?

Well, for one, it’s a tremendously handsome building as designed right now. It’s wonderful to see that caliber of architecture, and to envisage it on Flatbush Avenue, obviously so careful in respecting the exterior and interior landmark of the Dime Savings Bank, the bedrock of Fulton Street. I think that the magic of that tower, though, is that it will be Brooklyn’s tallest. It really could be this phenomenal beacon on Flatbush Avenue. I’m a huge supporter of that project. I think we all feel that it will bring a lot of energy.

5. How hot is the business rivalry of Brooklyn vs. Manhattan?

I’ve lived in Brooklyn since 1991, so I personally think Brooklyn is a better place. [Laughs] But I don’t see this as a rivalry. I think the incredible strength of New York City is that we have great places and we have a lot of them, right? Even 20 years ago, we didn’t have Downtown Brooklyn the way we have it, but also we didn’t have a Flatiron District that was so active.

That’s the magic of New York City: this incredible evolution. But I do think Brooklyn is leading the nation in this idea of rebirth and this idea that coming back to the city can be an incredible, exciting thing to do. To continue to propel that is something that motivates all of us here at the partnership.

6. Not many big Manhattan firms have arrived here yet. Why not?

How could they move here if we don’t have the Class A space available for them? For a few years now we’ve been at a record low commercial-vacancy rate for the area. Right now we’re at around 3%. A main reason for that is the area is really lacking in Class A space. So we’re thrilled to see investment in projects like what Tishman Speyer is doing with the Macy’s space, and the ground-up office projects by the Rabsky Group and JEMB Realty. But even with that lack of space currently online, we’ve had some incredible talent coming to Brooklyn. West Elm, Etsy, Huge, now Gimlet Media, have all made Brooklyn home. I think that’s a pretty impressive roster. And when United Technologies feels the need to be near them, that’s interesting.

Obviously there’s a multitude of tenants who are relocating in Manhattan and we can’t compete for them all, but what we have that’s distinctly different is this subset of companies that really appreciate being in Dumbo and other parts of the Tech Triangle. And they are coming here because they love the culture of Brooklyn. They want to be near their employees or they want their employees to work close to home, or they want to make a statement that they are distinctly different. And that’s the magic to me of West Elm, that they have embodied this idea of Brooklyn in their national branding identity.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 1:20 PM
New Yorker for life

https://bklyner.com/brooklyn-artist-...latbush-mural/

Brooklyn Artist Katie Merz Chosen To Create 80 Flatbush Mural

By Pamela Wong
September 22, 2017

Quote:
Back in May, Alloy Development issued a call for submissions seeking an artist to create temporary large-scale murals on the exterior of its 80 Flatbush project. Earlier this month, the firm announced that Brooklyn artist Katie Merz was awarded the project.

Merz started work on 80 Flatbush (between State and Schermerhorn Streets) two weeks ago, covering the lower portion of the walls with her signature, bold, black-and-white graphics representing iconic images of Brooklyn’s past, present, and future.

The names of neighborhoods (Borough Park, Canarsie, Coney Island, Gowanus, Sheepshead Bay) and famous Brooklynites (Biggie Smalls, Foxy Brown, Mos Def, Spike Lee) are interspersed among basketball hoops, boomboxes, BAM, a Nathan’s hot dog, the Wonder Wheel, the Fort Greene monument, the 9th Street bridge, and the giant Goya can that used to be displayed on a billboard in Gowanus beside the BQE.

...“People are contributing ideas to the wall,” Merz told BKLYNER on Monday. “People are stopping by and being a part of my drawings.”

Her mural for 80 Flatbush is inspired by her surroundings as well as conversations she has with passersby, neighbors, and the staff at the NYC Human Resources Administration office who currently occupy the building.

“It’s a blast. I’m having so much fun it’s ridiculous,” she said. “I love the people in there [the employees in the building], they’re great. I’m taking their pictures. They’re giving me info about themselves that I’m putting up on the wall. They’re giving me copies of Brooklyn icons and emojis [that they want included]. Every time they come out, they have all these print-outs,” she says laughing.

http://www.brownstoner.com/brooklyn-...h-avenue-arts/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

soo cranky around the neighborhood!

this was on bond st

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:09 PM

No brownstone will be touched for this project. “Brownstone Brooklyn” isn’t in any danger. What are these irrational NIMBYs babbling about?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 7:22 PM
Development Shill

It's looks like a child's drawing lol

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 10:27 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yah can't win. No towers in Brooklyn, no towers in the Bronx, no towers in Manhattan... why don't we just not build towers anymore? In fact, there is the LIRR rail line, lets just stand right on it during rush hour so we don't have to see towers anymore or anything urban.

I'm often curious how these NIMBYS have time to protest during working hours? Don't they work like the rest of us civilized humans?

This project will be great for the area. Much needed units as DoBro continues to grow into a dynamic and world class neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 10:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
No brownstone will be touched for this project. “Brownstone Brooklyn” isn’t in any danger. What are these irrational NIMBYs babbling about?
Its the same logic used when people say that the pre-wars are being eradicated. No they are not. Sure a development might take one or two out, but there are still 1000's. There's a lot of places that are land marked too. So okay we lost this one, but its not the end of the urban historical fabric like they seem to proclaim.

Just like shadows won't ruin Central Park.

Its sensationalism and emotional thinking. The NIMBYS don't care about the welfare of their city, but their own, self-entitled brat mindset. To preserve their views, and what they seem to like at the expense of everyone else.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 7:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

80 Flatbush’s Pre-Demolition Mural Unveiled, Downtown Brooklyn

Quote:
Alloy Development’s plans for 80 Flatbush Avenue will eventually yield two residential towers, the larger of which will extend 74 floors and 920 feet into the Downtown Brooklyn skyline. But before construction can begin, the developers covered the existing structures in a mural starting back in September. Now, work on the art piece has wrapped up, as seen in the latest photos of the site from Tectonic.

The mural will live for at least two years, as the larger site must still complete the ULURP process before construction can begin. One of the buildings, a Civil War infirmary currently used by the Khalil Gibran International Academy, will be integrated into the base of the new project. However, the structures covered by the murals will eventually be demolished.

The development’s scope will be very large, even by Downtown Brooklyn standards, and construction is currently anticipated to begin on the first phase by 2019, which includes two schools expected to open by 2022, and the smaller residential tower. The larger, 920-foot-tall skyscraper would open in 2025, and together, they would deliver 900 apartments.

While the eventuality of the site will be a game-changer for the neighborhood, adding substantially to its housing stock while also bolstering its educational assets, the murals are a welcome touch in the meantime, and improve greatly upon the hum-drum structures set for the wrecking ball.
=====================
NYY

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
The NIMBYS don't care about the welfare of their city, but their own, self-entitled brat mindset. To preserve their views, and what they seem to like at the expense of everyone else.
I keep seeing this sentiment on this website and it just seems to lack self-awareness. Yes, they want things the way they want it. Don't we? I'm all for upgraded urban fabric, increased mass transit options, better walkability, and (usually) more density. But I must admit it's a personal preference. We can disagree with the preference's of others without demonizing them about it.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 8:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Sure, people have their preferences, but when it impacts the growth of the city and especially the much needed housing or lets say a transit project being protested, I see that as an assault on the well being of the city.

I don't like paying taxes, and seeing the paycheck reduced, but if its going to the well-being of the neighborhood, and the areas in which we reside, than its compromise. I understand that its at least being utilized somewhat to sustain our realm.

There is no valid reason other than self-entitlement to be against height or shadows. No reason to not utilize underdeveloped land, and provide the much needed housing to stabilize prices.

Sometimes we have to make compromises, and at times, they do have valid concerns, but it can't always be a one sided conversation where its just no on every level and that nothing will be built. They have land, it was bought, a developer wants to build on it, and has every right within the zoning and codes that govern that parcel and its limitations, and thus, I don't see the point of reducing such a project.

We need to grow, and can't just stop. Its not good for the world. A puritan mindset is not what the U.S. needs in any of its cities.

If NY from the start had a NIMBY mindset, the place would not be the beacon that it is. Its only until some people lost focus, lost respect for economics and capitalism, that this objection has started. The jobs, the housing, all brought to you by big-thinkers, and we need more of that. You can see it in certain cities, and even in day-to-day workplaces. People who think big, and who strive for the best, get places.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 10:18 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

And that's why Bloomberg, like him or not, can arguably be cited as the one who got NYC's upward growth spurt kicking into high gear.

Giuliani, like him or not, got us thru 9-11 and gave us the resolve to make the city safer,more conducive to doing business and more relevant in a 21st Century world than ever.

Luckily, DeBlasio seems intent on maintaining the currrent vector.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 10:47 PM

To echo chris, I think the issue boils down to lack of compromise.

No one is going to take issue with residents saying, we understand we're a part of this city and the city needs more housing, and that our community should help address this issue and allow the construction of new housing, but in exchange we would like the city to refurbish an old playground, fill pot holes, expand an elementary school, etc. But to just say no with no alternatives, no discussion, no nothing, is effectively saying, we want to enjoy all the benefits of living in this city, but don't want to help it address arguably it's biggest, non climate change issue. It's an incredibly lazy, and selfish position.

Letting developers run wild clearly is not the answer, but there needs to be an actual back and forth between developers, city planners and the community, which doesn't happen. I think we're at a point where community boards, and city councilman should have zero binding authority over projects, only advisory.

What's the point of having a city planning commission and city councilman/community groups who can block projects that fall within existing zoning and land use?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 2:54 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Locals Say Alloy’s Downtown Brooklyn Mega-Project Is Too Tall, Blocks Historic Tower

Quote:
How high is too high?

This was the question that was repeatedly raised at a community meeting hosted by the Fort Greene Association on Monday night to discuss the proposal for 80 Flatbush Avenue, a controversial development plan at the nexus of Boerum Hill, Fort Greene and Downtown Brooklyn.

What most of the residents were certain of is that 74 stories, which is the height of the highest tower of the proposed pair, is too much. There is also the problem that the towers don’t fit in to the surrounding brownstone neighborhood, are too glassy, and cut off views of the Williamsburgh Savings Bank Tower across the street, aka 1 Hanson Place, they said.

“We’ve done a lot to address a lot of these concerns,” said AJ Pires, the president of Alloy. He said that the former rendering is not representative of the current design. “Not everything we agree on, but we continue to improve the project with community input.”

But for many of the dozens in attendance, there was still a host of other issues to address. Ben Richardson, a board member of the 1 Hanson Place condo in Fort Greene, gave a detailed presentation that stressed the “fairly unprecedented” proposed floor area ratio, also known as FAR, of 18, among other concerns, and reminded everyone that this was still a proposal and had not even begun the official public review process, or ULURP, expected to kick off in a month or so.
============================
https://www.brownstoner.com/developm...enue-too-high/

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Hate to say it, but there are good NIMBYs. The ones who would be happy for fighting a development not because of the height, no, but because of the affordable component. The minute they pull that down sizing rubbish, they are now part of Chris's Axis of Evil. Ship them to Bikini Island, and then ratify the nuclear testing treaty of 1996 to allow for testing to occur.

Hint: Bikini Island use to be a testing ground

It's a win-win. Build towers that help our cities growth, and reduce NIMBY involvement. They always like to see sunlight, and what better way to see the sun than in a bright flash.

Just pitching ideas. My other one was to ship NIMBYS to Madagascar. That might be the environmentally, LEED friendly method.
I loved this! I needed a good laugh.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:00 PM
Show me the blueprints

Technically it's Bikini Atoll Chris...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:14 PM

I told you guys. NIMBYs will always complain about height and density. It will never change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ Those people don't care about affordable housing. In fact, they probably hate having more lower income people in their neighborhood.

These people are against the size and density of this project. Giving them anything else will not change that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals