Washington D.C. 8 4.47%
Nashville 6 3.35%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 9:08 PM

USA Olympic 2028

which US City would be a great city to host the olympics

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 10:00 PM

New Orleans 2028

I say New Orleans. In the mist of recovery, New Orleans is bouncing back but better. With a new administration and tons of project that are in site, New Orleans could host one the best Olympic Games in 2028 or later in future. This City has rich culture and history. This is America unique and fun city. WE CAN HOST THE GAMES IN 2028

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 1:40 PM

I say Washington DC... Well because the city isn't involved in anything like the olympics! It's our nation's capital and I think it could be a big win... It needs to be refurbished and remodeled and just redone... Just like china did for their 2008 olympics!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 4:51 PM
Architecture/Engineering

I guess I'd just have to ask you which major American city is NOT on this list that has already bid for the Summer Olympics 3 times, and has come in as the International runner-up once, and the American runner-up once?

And is a city that intends to bid again?

Yet, for some reason, escapes the notice of the OP?

And the answer is...Minnneapolis-St. Paul

Last edited by Avian001; Sep 23, 2011 at 6:25 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 4:45 AM
Skyscraper Fan

New York City, definitely. It's our nation's biggest city and deserves to be in the Olympics.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 6:21 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
I know it won't be a popular choice on this board where its constantly bashed, but I think Phoenix would be a good host in a lot of ways. PHX has world class sporting venues that are unequaled in their variety and quantity by any other city in this country.

There's the sparking University of Phoenix stadium (68K, football) in Glendale, Jobing.com Arena in Glendale (19K, hockey), US Airways Center in Downtown Phx (20K, Basketball), Chase Field (48K, baseball), Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe (11K, basketball), Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Midtown Phx (14K, basketball), plus Sun Devil Stadium is likely going to be rebuilt soon and could be the main Olympic stadium.

Additionally there are 10 Spring Training baseball facilities across the Valley with at least one more in the planning stages, Westworld- a world class horse sports facility.

Many of these facilities are already connected by LRT and more are already targeted for LRT, and by the time 2028 comes around they all could be.

The main struggle for Phx would of course be the heat, summer isn't exactly our tourist season. However if it were done in September it wouldn't be too bad at all, 100 and dry in Phx has got to be better than 80 and humid in Beijin with air so bad you can't breathe.

We in the Phx forum discussed the idea fairly in length here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=172522&page=4

Tempe and ASU have big plans to build a huge sports facility (Tempe is already a national destination for off season training for pro athletes) along some current surface lots with hopes to attract the Pan Am games. Additionally USA Basketball will soon be HQ'd in Glendale, AZ with a 5K arena of their own.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:30 AM

Hi everyone...
I think it depends on your circle but i know in mine, my friend works at a store in Vancouver - it only has stores in Vancouver and Seattle, my old room mate worked for a US publication but it was all produced here in Vancouver and he had to travel regularly to Washington state.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:44 AM

I'd says that I voted for PHX. if USA Olympics 2028 will be hosted in PHX or someplace else.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 8:27 AM

New Orleans has more than half of the Venues needed.
Superdome (73K), N.O. Arena (18K), Uno Lakefront Arena (10K), Conv. Center (multiple use), Future Tulane Stadium [If Tulane already built it (40K)], Coconut Beach (temporary). The Main stadium could be an 80,000 temporary stadium (downgraded to 20,000), Aquatic Center, Velodrome and Olympic Village.

Last edited by elwin514; Feb 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 3:09 AM
BANNED

2028 is so far away... I choose Philly!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 2:53 PM

It's very far

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 8:37 PM

Los Angeles only because everything is already built and ready to go, but for LA the olympics is a been there done that thing. I would be happy to see Seattle get it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 12:05 AM

dallas is a great choice because of its great real estate boom going on right now. by the time its 2028, well have the best skyline west of the mississippi.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 12:31 AM

Why isn't Minneapolis - St. Paul in the poll? They were the runners-up (by a mere couple of votes) behind in Atlanta in 1996. There are a ton of benefits to this:
-favorable summer weather
-world class venues in place in Minneapolis and U of MN - a new Vikings stadium would help tremendously
-Light rail system will be heavily upgraded by 2028
-access to all types of venues - Mississippi river for Rowing (brand new U of MN boathouse), many lakes for sailing, etc...

I think it is one of the most logical choices.

Anything in the Southeast or Texas should be given significantly less consideration due to the extreme heat. (Humidity is much more of a factor. I'd take PHX over any of the SE cities and I live in Alabama! Too stinking hot in the summer!)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 9:34 PM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinhsv View Post

Anything in the Southeast or Texas should be given significantly less consideration due to the extreme heat. (Humidity is much more of a factor. I'd take PHX over any of the SE cities and I live in Alabama! Too stinking hot in the summer!)
First off, why do we become such pussies when it comes to weather. I'm sure many of the athletes will be well conditioned to handle any of the heat that goes on in Texas or the Southeast. Hell, they may come from climates more hotter and more humid than Texas or the Southeast. Also, why not hold the games in Mid September. During a time it is actually cooling off in this area.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolvertoncopm View Post
It's very far
Yeah, it's too early to tell. Let's wait and see. I think you have to be patiently for a while.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
I guess I'd just have to ask you which major American city is NOT on this list that has already bid for the Summer Olympics 3 times, and has come in as the International runner-up once, and the American runner-up once?

And is a city that intends to bid again?

Yet, for some reason, escapes the notice of the OP?

And the answer is...Minnneapolis-St. Paul
In addition, Detroit wasn't included and that city holds the all-time record for the most rejected bids. 7 in total.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 12:50 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Seattle, New York, or San Francisco would all be fantastic, I think. Those would be my top 3, with Seattle being my favorite. I like Minneapolis or Chicago too.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 9:04 PM

I guess the city that will be host for 2028 Olympics is Los Angeles, California.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 12:41 PM

I think the Olympics is a silly and costly burden for whatever city hosts it. The Olympic Committee reminds me of the UN with it's corruption, disorganization, and backroom deals. It was founded and continues to be influenced by jet-set European nobles.

Disregarding that, though, I think Boston would be a good choice, as would San Francisco. New York City is just too damn crowded and too much of a target. Chicago and many of the other cities you mention have too much crime. Phoenix? Come on.

Personally I love Minneapolis and Pittsburgh because the people are so nice and there is so little crime relative to other medium and large sized American cities. The safety and cleanliness of the cities, along with the charm of the people would show America in a very positive light. However, those two cities don't have enough prestige to host the Olympics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States