HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Jeddah Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jeddah Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 12:54 AM

I think you over estimate the if you build it they will come strategy, like by a shit load lol. These kind of developments are always good in theory. Sometimes they work at way smaller scales. But if you take a look at Dubai, that was an absolute catastrophe. Less than half of the expected wealth and population was actually generated in that boom. That city has experienced complete stagnation the last 5 years and is on the brink of a recession because of it's irresponsible bubble development. The vacancy rates in that city are insane. Sure, after the burj was built more development sprung up because of raised land values. That doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that the consequent development was successful.

I love how you tried to compare a market in Saudi Arabia to NYC. That made me laugh too hard.

You try to tell people to stop acting like experts when you're the one going on about an over scaled development idea working with such confidence, like it's ever been done before at this scale or in a location like this. You have no idea whether this would work or not. You are only fueling the "peanut gallery of inane comments" that you are preaching against.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 9:17 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
I think you over estimate the if you build it they will come strategy, like by a shit load lol. These kind of developments are always good in theory. Sometimes they work at way smaller scales. But if you take a look at Dubai, that was an absolute catastrophe. Less than half of the expected wealth and population was actually generated in that boom. That city has experienced complete stagnation the last 5 years and is on the brink of a recession because of it's irresponsible bubble development. The vacancy rates in that city are insane. Sure, after the burj was built more development sprung up because of raised land values. That doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that the consequent development was successful.

I love how you tried to compare a market in Saudi Arabia to NYC. That made me laugh too hard.

You try to tell people to stop acting like experts when you're the one going on about an over scaled development idea working with such confidence, like it's ever been done before at this scale or in a location like this. You have no idea whether this would work or not. You are only fueling the "peanut gallery of inane comments" that you are preaching against.
Dude; Saudi Arabia has economically open it's doors to the world. There are likely going to be dozens of foreign companies that will establish subsidiaries in the Kingdom Tower, let's not forget that Saudi Arabia still has a shit load of oil so it can pay for this development.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 11:46 AM
Transport Planner

Quote:

Typical.

I didn't in any way compare it to the market in NYC. Get off of your high horse.

I simply pointed out that this is a minuscule amount of office space in comparison to some of the development schemes in that city.

The WTC is having trouble finding tenants and the Hudson Yards is poaching tenants from Midtown.

This isn't Dubai. It's Saudi Arabia. They're building a new district, financed through rents in a large, office tower and by enhanced property values. This is a one off. We're not talking about a city of supertalls. Speaking ad naseum about it being in a wasteland or as separate from the entire waterfront district is just stupid.

So yes, your comments and just about every other person too biased to even fathom the idea that the development is sound, is quite inane and tiresome.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Typical.

I didn't in any way compare it to the market in NYC. Get off of your high horse.

I simply pointed out that this is a minuscule amount of office space in comparison to some of the development schemes in that city.

The WTC is having trouble finding tenants and the Hudson Yards is poaching tenants from Midtown.

This isn't Dubai. It's Saudi Arabia. They're building a new district, financed through rents in a large, office tower and by enhanced property values. This is a one off. We're not talking about a city of supertalls. Speaking ad naseum about it being in a wasteland or as separate from the entire waterfront district is just stupid.

So yes, your comments and just about every other person too biased to even fathom the idea that the development is sound, is quite inane and tiresome.
Umm I never referred to it as a wasteland or a seperate deal from the waterfront, you put words in people's mouths like it's your job lol. I'm not really biased, I'm just looking at what has and hasn't worked in history. Building from demand has worked, and building to create demand is very risky and for the most part hasn't worked. It just so happens that developed countries use the former strategy more and developing countries moreso use the latter.
I can, contrary to your inane hostility, fathom the idea that this could be sound. As I said before, this strategy can work at much smaller scales. That being said, you would have to either crazy or just ignorant to think that the risk of this isn't immense. You really need to stop pretending like an expert when it comes to something that has never been done before.

Obviously, this isn't the same deal as Dubai, although there are more than enough similarities to warrant a comparison. Kings blowing their oil money to fund speculative development would be the main connecting point tho.

And Blacktrojan, that's what they said in Dubai and China; their doors are open econimically to the world so let the leasing storm begin !!!!! Oh wait..

I can't wait for the oil to run out in this region so people can stop thinking that it is worth anything besides that.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 6:51 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Umm I never referred to it as a wasteland or a seperate deal from the waterfront, you put words in people's mouths like it's your job lol. I'm not really biased, I'm just looking at what has and hasn't worked in history. Building from demand has worked, and building to create demand is very risky and for the most part hasn't worked. It just so happens that developed countries use the former strategy more and developing countries moreso use the latter.
I can, contrary to your inane hostility, fathom the idea that this could be sound. As I said before, this strategy can work at much smaller scales. That being said, you would have to either crazy or just ignorant to think that the risk of this isn't immense. You really need to stop pretending like an expert when it comes to something that has never been done before.

Obviously, this isn't the same deal as Dubai, although there are more than enough similarities to warrant a comparison. Kings blowing their oil money to fund speculative development would be the main connecting point tho.

And Blacktrojan, that's what they said in Dubai and China; their doors are open econimically to the world so let the leasing storm begin !!!!! Oh wait..

I can't wait for the oil to run out in this region so people can stop thinking that it is worth anything besides that.

My overall point was that all development is speculative...it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to say that because one project is in NYC, that makes it less speculative. What we would be talking about in that case, is risk, which isn't the same thing, right (e.g. the Chicago Spire wasn't a very risky development, in terms of the expected returns and cost to build it - it would have had to completely bomb for them to not be able to eek out a modest profit - , but it was highly speculative)?

That being said, the development scheme at hand is going forward with the premise that enough residents and commercial interests will want to be in new, modern space near the airport (that's the speculation). The risk is trying to finance (coax) that along by building a 1000m building. That's all I wanted to point out.

Honestly. I'm not some booster or anything. Yes, the [public] investment company that's financing the scheme is headed by a prince, but I don't particularly find why that all of a sudden means it's any less a responsible project (in the same way that people don't take a Trump development less seriously because he's a rich billionaire). Is it possible to fail (again, it's speculation - as is all development - so it very well could), though it's obvious that the risks are such that it enough of the parties involved have deemed it worthwhile to attempt [and spend money on] it.

All I wanted to point out is they've done due diligence and have an end-game. This isn't just a case of someone waking up one day and deciding they want to build 1000m skyscraper, which - again - is the constant refrain of this thread. You have to be willfully blind to go on as if the vast majority of comments on this haven't been of the "it's in the middle of nowhere" variety.

This entire thread smacks of some kind of paternalistic, consternation that the project just doesn't make any sense (despite the fact that there are dozens upon dozens of examples of this developmental model everywhere). The difference in this case is a peculiar emphasis upon height. I simply wanted to point out that that's irrelevant - from the perspective of development - as the end game is to simply lease the space (i.e. it's the amount of space, rather than how it's [generally] configured, that matters).

My comment was neither inane nor was it hostile. I was pointing out that a simple google search was enough to figure out where the project is in relation to the city, that the tower is part of the total waterfront district (not a white elephant), and that it is not going up with a "dearth of infrastructure" (they're not idiots).

No one here is saying that this would be going up at all were it not for investment from the Kingdom Group (they put their name on the tower, for crying out loud). That, however, is not the point at hand. The ability to finance the tower and the ability to fill it are two separate things. I still maintain that the argument that somehow, because the wealth is based in oil, this development is any less valid is hogwash.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 3:13 PM

<MODERATOR NOTE>

Let's keep things on topic. . . seems like the usual not-this-shit-again style snipes and retorts are percolating. . . any further digression will result in thread closure. . . do not reply to this post as it will be met with stoic ambivalence and subsequently deleted. . .

Thank you for your cooperation. . .

. . .

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 3:02 PM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 3:14 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

They should either have multiple helipads or none if you ask me. Just one looks silly.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 5:09 PM

This isn't a helipad! It's the observation platform.

For a helicopter, it is too windy at this altitude to land safely!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM

Is that sections of glass panel flooring in the observation platform? That would be both amazing, and insane at th same time.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 4:08 PM

I think it would give me a bad case of vertigo.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
I think it would give me a bad case of vertigo.
Just putting it out there, vertigo is not sickness due to heights...vertigo is the sight of everything spinning when standing stationary.

Besides that though, I'm glad this tower's being built!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 8:26 PM
Come As You Are

Officially above ground.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 8:31 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
Just putting it out there, vertigo is not sickness due to heights...vertigo is the sight of everything spinning when standing stationary.
The sickness due to heights often can manifest as vertigo though.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 11:27 PM

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 7:49 PM
Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh Crusher View Post

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 9:54 PM

Reminds me of..

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:13 PM
Editor

Thanks for the update. I expected the floorplates to be a lot bigger, unless we aren't seeing the whole floorplate in the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post

Officially above ground.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Thanks for the update. I expected the floorplates to be a lot bigger, unless we aren't seeing the whole floorplate in the photo.
The part in the foreground looks to be one of the 3 wings. You can see the other 2 behind. I'm not sure if that's what you're seeing, but the floorplate looks to be decently large when you take all 3 sides into account.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 11:05 PM

Thank you for the pictures ThatOneGuy, good to see this building coming along, its going to be absolutely epic!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction