HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 1, 2005, 10:39 PM

^ Azndragon837 is also jokingly following up on a comment Don made in response to a more serious criticism.

Old Posted May 2, 2005, 4:23 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I definately don't like the building. I hope the rendering is off. Phoenix does needs a new tallest though.

Old Posted May 2, 2005, 5:00 AM

I think (hope) that the model is just something that was lying around (as was suggested, a massing model from the 60's) and not representative of anything other than the overall size of the finished product. It seems unlikely that, with the developer yet determined, this would be anything close to a final design.

Old Posted May 2, 2005, 2:08 PM

^ Agreed. There is also no color to the renderings, which helps make it austere and most unattractive.

Let us not prejudge this project until better renderings are made available.

--don

Old Posted May 2, 2005, 4:54 PM
Go Thrashers

Quote:
Thats the nature of sunbelt cities. Quite un-natural if you ask me.

well then ^

great news Phoenix

Old Posted May 2, 2005, 10:58 PM
Desert Urbanite

Hehe, sorry. I kinda get carried away if someone makes a bad remark about Phoenix. We have been getting a sea of criticism since this forum began, and knowing myself, I kinda get a lil edgy at times when remarks, even JOKES, are made about Phoenix. And so if anyone makes a remark about sprawl, or our skyline, hehe, make sure a "just kidding" is attached, otherwise, some people might take it a lil too seriously, including myself. So I apologize for my lil rash of bitterness. :-)

-Andrew

Old Posted May 3, 2005, 12:38 PM
Desert Urbanite

By the way, the Arizona Republic published my letter today. A quick turnaround, the fact that I submitted this only two days ago.

Here is the link to the letter:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...uelets031.html

Here is the link to the thread in the Interior West Forum:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...threadid=75025

Whohoo! I am surprised that they published it at such speed. Anyways, I am waiting for the influx of responses to my letter, so I am keeping an eye out for those damn NIMBYs.

-Andrew

Old Posted May 3, 2005, 1:24 PM
Go Pens!

if NIMBY doesn't like it, they shouldn't live in the city PERIOD. Move to the suburbs! So one place in Arizona would have tall buildings, drive 10 miles and then look at the sunset! I live in a city and have no problems seeeing the sunset.

The only logical point is the use of tax dollars being used to fund projects against the majority disapproval of the public. i know this because Pittsburgh just built 2 new stadiums w/ out the public necessarily wanting it. We haven't even finnished paying for the one we knocked down yet!! WTF!! (the area is consequently improved for the most part though - perhaps they should try a little thing called engineering and maybe not build/rebuild things right at river level!) Now the Penguins want a new stadium. I say the teams should use their own funding for these stadiums & have to a least be a good team to deserve one (unless it's decrepit)

Last edited by BANKofMANHATTAN; May 9, 2005 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2005, 1:31 PM
Go Pens!

however i don't really care for the building either. all condo buildings always turn out a certain way. i can't stand the "stacking effect" on some condos, you see all the levels/porches going all the way up - it gives the building a lack luster appearance. I guess i'm just not a huge fan of some residential urban housing...

I kinda like the bowed-out sides and the spires but the rest is meh~

Old Posted May 3, 2005, 6:26 PM
Cityslicker

It could have been better, but it it give Phoenix its new tallest, I can't say no to this.

Old Posted May 3, 2005, 6:44 PM

I want to state again that we can be pretty sure the final building will not look like those models. There's no way the design would be finalized without a developer having been contracted.

Old Posted May 3, 2005, 10:01 PM
Desert Urbanite

That letter was meant to poke fun at those damn NIMBYs. They expect nothing more than desert vistas and sprawling, cheap homes here in PHX. They are afraid of new tall buildings that will "block thier views" of the mountains and sunsets. Whatever, my ass. The buildings aren't gonig to follow them around, and if they want desert views, move farther out. There is room for both a skyscraper skyline and mountain vistas.

Bring those NIMBYs on!

-Andrew

Old Posted May 5, 2005, 8:06 PM

Here is what is on the Phoenix City Council agenda for May 11th regarding this project. Those interested, and with the time, may want to drop by the meeting to learn more.

ITEM 29
DISTRICT 8
DEVELOPMENT AGREEMENT WITH CITY CENTRE LLC FOR NORTHEAST CORNER OF 1ST STREET AND POLK STREET

Ordinance S-31933 authorizing the City Manager or his designee to take title to property and to enter into a development agreement with City Centre L.L.C. and any other agreements necessary to facilitate development of the property generally bounded by 1st Street to 2nd Street and Taylor to Polk Streets for the Arizona State University Downtown Campus and private sector development.

City Centre L.L.C. will convey the entire property, currently the Ramada Inn, to the City at no cost. City Centre L.L.C. will also provide a Phase I environmental assessment of the site acceptable to the City.

The City will convey development rights to City Centre L.L.C. to develop approximately 750,000 to one million square feet of condominium towers, (subject to further market assessment), structured parking, ground retail and amenities.

The City will retain an approximately 35,000 square foot development pad on the site for the development of up to 250,000 square feet of academic, academic support and ground floor retail space for the ASU Downtown Campus. City Centre L.L.C. will be responsible for preparing the site for development. Construction of the City/ASU development which will occur on the City's schedule.

City Centre L.L.C. will construct and provide up to 200 parking spaces to serve ASU facility needs. ASU will retain the option to lease 200 of such parking spaces on an annual basis at $480 per space.

The public-private development concept achieves a variety of City objectives such as the development of the ASU Downtown Campus, the creation of street level retail, and downtown housing. The proposed business agreement would save the City significant land acquisition costs.

Affirmative Action

The subject organization is eligible to do business with the City of Phoenix until April 27, 2007, by its compliance with the affirmative action requirements of the City Code, Chapter 18, Article V.

This item is recommended by Ms. Sculley and the Downtown Development Office.

Old Posted May 6, 2005, 8:31 PM
Hominus Nocturna

Hey, great news for Phoenix! Yo, Phoenix peeps, I read Trump's heading your way with a tower, any info to elaborate on this?

http://www.trump.com/main.htm

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...a/gal227nt.jpg

Old Posted May 6, 2005, 9:49 PM

^ Unfortunately, that specific Trump project was block by stupid NIMBYs.

Old Posted May 7, 2005, 12:55 AM

^ Actually, it has not been formally rejected yet. The full council is likely to approve it, because they want Trump to build downtown as well.

--don

Old Posted May 7, 2005, 5:56 AM

Ah, good to know.

Old Posted May 7, 2005, 3:24 PM
Illustrator, editor

Very strange design. It is hard to like it.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted May 8, 2005, 1:03 AM
SUSPENDED ANIMATION

I'm so happy! Phoenix is finally getting a new taller!!!! yay!..

but ..... em.... i dont like the design ... ooh well..

and another thing is that is going to kill that beautiful view that the revolving restaurant of the Hyatt hotel has of the buildings in Central Ave...
look...

the red part is the location (aprox) of this new super tall
but who cares ? I want that skyscraper built!
cheers!

Old Posted May 8, 2005, 7:30 AM
Desert Urbanite

Screw that Hyatt building, that is by far (along with the Crowne Plaza Hotel) the ugliest major hotel in the area. I personally like the Hotel San Carlos.

By the way, if any of your guys want to come, I am going to that meeting on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 3pm. If anyone would like to join me, and then dinner afterwards? Get back to me.

-Andrew

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations