HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:44 AM

Nice pictures, that is a clever way they hid the podiums.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:51 AM

ppl need to know more about the past in order to understand the present ^....

Video Link

things aren't perfect in 2020....but dtla decades ago was not ready for prime time.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:03 AM

^^ Some those those buildings I've never seen before, did they demolish any?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:29 PM

Does Onni have anything left under construction downtown? Other than the L.A. Times site I can't think of other lots they have remaining. It would be a shame to lose them.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:59 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

They have the proposed 60-story tower Olympic & Hill that's probably further along in the development process than the Times Mirror Square project. According to the latest info from Urbanize back in October, it should start construction some time this year, barring any unforeseen issues with permitting or financing.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 12:23 AM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
They have the proposed 60-story tower Olympic & Hill that's probably further along in the development process than the Times Mirror Square project. According to the latest info from Urbanize back in October, it should start construction some time this year, barring any unforeseen issues with permitting or financing.
They told me Hope + Flower and Times Mirror Square are the next ones.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
They told me Hope + Flower and Times Mirror Square are the next ones.
Are you guys talking about development approval or actual groundbreaking?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 3:39 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Hope + Flower is nearing completion and will start leasing out soon. Those are the buildings pictured at the bottom of the previous page in this thread. Interesting that they are targeting Times Mirror Square next, as that seems like it would have more hurdles to clear. WestCoastSupertall, did a representative of Onni tell that to you?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
Does Onni have anything left under construction downtown? Other than the L.A. Times site I can't think of other lots they have remaining. It would be a shame to lose them.
IRC onni has a development in the arts district in the works

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 6:26 AM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
^^ Some those those buildings I've never seen before, did they demolish any?
Yes they did. One of the main ones demolished was the Hotel Statler which opened in 1952. It's where the Wilshire Grand now stands.

https://paradiseleased.wordpress.com...mic-age-hotel/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post

Both towers of Grand Avenue are now fully one floor above ground
IMG_3119
Looking back I just noticed this one, there's hardly any progress updates about Ghery's LA The Grand hotel and residential. This project will have a major impact on LA's downtown bringing more people to the city center, especially the wealthier people. I am a little sad that the tallest building is only going to be 39 stories considering we've been waiting 15 years for this project and many taller variations, at least it sits atop bunker hill so it won't be further dwarfed by the surrounding buildings. This one should be going up pretty fast and should be done sometime in late 2021. It sure beats a massive and horrid parking structure across from such an iconic building, projects like these are what tie a city together.

Last edited by Niftybox; Jan 18, 2020 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:50 PM

Quote:
The snowball effect is in play, this is how most major cities grow. It's still surprising that LA with such a large populace is so empty downtown compared to most other US cities, I can see why people were calling it a barren wasteland in the 1980s-2000s. And hopefully more foot traffic will begin to scare the homeless further East.
Scare the homeless east? Are you kidding? They will see this as more people to bother and ask for money. I am sorry, but it gets tiring being solicited every single day in downtown. I get people are homeless but a good majority don't have a whole lot of respect for public spaces or other people. Some of those conditions on the sidewalk are uncalled for. This probably will be removed since it's not really skyscraper related.. im sorry...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Scare the homeless east? Are you kidding? They will see this as more people to bother and ask for money. I am sorry, but it gets tiring being solicited every single day in downtown. I get people are homeless but a good majority don't have a whole lot of respect for public spaces or other people. Some of those conditions on the sidewalk are uncalled for. This probably will be removed since it's not really skyscraper related.. im sorry...
I too agree this is non developmental but I feel I must respond in kind. I believe it's the opposite, the more people walking near homeless the more often police will be called and encounter them and force or scare them in a certain direction, hopefully East toward the mountains. This might sound a little mean but some of them just need a little push in any direction to force them into action, who knows? Police will have a bias toward to working class and defend them over being approached by beggars.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Maybe you should move to a different section of Downtown. I’ve lived now in two totally different sections. One section where you rarely deal with them(especially on a daily basis), and another section where they are in you area 24 hours a day. Ironically, even then am I approached on a daily basis. I walk the streets of Downtown almost everyday. Some of you are a little dramatic. Lol

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar90 View Post
Your video is a reminder that replacing the parking lots north of LA live, where the Olympia proj is supposed to go up, is long overdue. I hope that happens sooner rather than later....but the oceanwide proj still sits unfinished long after construction on it first began.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Yes they did. One of the main ones demolished was the Hotel Statler which opened in 1952. It's where the Wilshire Grand now stands.

https://paradiseleased.wordpress.com...mic-age-hotel/

Never realized the old statler hilton was originally as important as it was. Its removal wasn't a big thing, however, because most ppl probably never thought its design was all that impressive.

I always considered it to be a dowdy 1950s relic. but looking at its earlier yrs & photos from the time it was almost brand new did give a nostalgic sadness....today's dtLA is both better but also somehow less quaint & home spun than it used to be. images like this one are one reason for that....

still, dtla....la in general....in 2020 is a bit more ready for prime time than it was when that graphic was created. way less things to do, visit & see over 60 yrs ago! But today's dtla also is worse due to too much homelessness, graffiti & trash all over fwys, underpasses, streets, sidewalks.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 2:16 AM

Ive been adding the massing for all proposed buildings in Los Angeles to see what our potential skyline could be like if all the proposals get built but it wont let me paste the images onto here. Anyone know how i can take the images from my files and add it to a post?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
Ive been adding the massing for all proposed buildings in Los Angeles to see what our potential skyline could be like if all the proposals get built but it wont let me paste the images onto here. Anyone know how i can take the images from my files and add it to a post?
Use a image hosting site like imgur and copy the image url

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 1:50 PM

Quote:
I too agree this is non developmental but I feel I must respond in kind. I believe it's the opposite, the more people walking near homeless the more often police will be called and encounter them and force or scare them in a certain direction, hopefully East toward the mountains. This might sound a little mean but some of them just need a little push in any direction to force them into action, who knows? Police will have a bias toward to working class and defend them over being approached by beggars.
Not to go too much into politics, but if the US(the most quantitatively wealthy society in the history of human civilization) can feed and house the worlds largest prison population, surely the homeless deserve that basic right as well. Cut a hundred billion off the massive annual defense budget and within 3 years, homelessness will not exist. Not even a need to raise taxes, just stop pumping out aircraft carriers and bombing brown people and the problem is solved.

Anyway, cool skyline lol

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfishy View Post
Not to go too much into politics, but if the US(the most quantitatively wealthy society in the history of human civilization) can feed and house the worlds largest prison population, surely the homeless deserve that basic right as well. Cut a hundred billion off the massive annual defense budget and within 3 years, homelessness will not exist. Not even a need to raise taxes, just stop pumping out aircraft carriers and bombing brown people and the problem is solved.

Could we leave this kind of discussion in the Current Events or City Discussions forums, please?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations