HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
Hi everyone on the Chicago forum, I visited Chicago for the first time a month ago. Chicago greatly impressed me. The Loop felt like a great, stately downtown. The bank buildings looked like they would last a thousand years which I guess is the point because they want to create a sense of security for deposits. The people I met were friendly and the food was varied and delicious. The River North area is hot!

The Chicago Culture Center, which is a former public library, has one of the most beautiful ceilings and glass domes of any building I have ever seen. The whole Gold Coast area is a gem of a neighborhood.

I felt very safe walking around downtown, River North, Hyde Park, Fulton Market, Gold Coast, Chinatown, and Little India areas. I saw very few homeless people. Riding the L train was not fun because there were many annoying or sketchy people and, unlike walking, I was trapped in the same train car as them.

It was discouraging to return to my hotel, turn on the TV, and read about a surge in carjackings in Chicago.

Chicagoans, you live in an amazing, world class city!
It is a great city and the public transit part is a crap shoot. Sometimes what you describe won't happen and other times it might. Definitely not like you describe all the time.

With that being said..what you've experienced is actually living through a place for a handful (?) of days. Imagine being someone too afraid to visit because of what you hear in the news. Contrast that to what you experienced first hand. I don't want to devolve this into a political discussion or anything but it's a bit annoying living in any city with a bunch of people judging a city that they not only don't live in but have never even been. These things are way more nuanced than even people who live here know about.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Come back in the summer. Summers in Chicago are amazing and the city really comes alive then.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:01 AM

Plumbers Hall - 1401 W Randolph

Nov 26

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:29 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It is a great city and the public transit part is a crap shoot. Sometimes what you describe won't happen and other times it might. Definitely not like you describe all the time.

With that being said..what you've experienced is actually living through a place for a handful (?) of days. Imagine being someone too afraid to visit because of what you hear in the news. Contrast that to what you experienced first hand. I don't want to devolve this into a political discussion or anything but it's a bit annoying living in any city with a bunch of people judging a city that they not only don't live in but have never even been. These things are way more nuanced than even people who live here know about.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Come back in the summer. Summers in Chicago are amazing and the city really comes alive then.
This. 100% this.

The biggest issue I see is Chicago constantly under attack in the national (AND local) media. Second biggest issue I see (strongly related to the first) is Chicagoans themselves shitting all over their city! Chicago is a strange beast, one in which its residents tend to emphasize the negatives while tourists seem to love everything about it!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
This. 100% this.

The biggest issue I see is Chicago constantly under attack in the national (AND local) media. Second biggest issue I see (strongly related to the first) is Chicagoans themselves shitting all over their city! Chicago is a strange beast, one in which its residents tend to emphasize the negatives while tourists seem to love everything about it!

Aaron (Glowrock)
Chicago garners deserved and undeserved attention from the media... The crime that happens in this city is very serious issue that seems to be unable to be fixed at the current standing. We could have a 24 hour news channel dedicated to violent crime in Chicago that's how much happens on a Dailey basis. Now are there cities that are worse off...sure...but Chicago being one of the largest and most important cities in the country will always be in the spotlight. At the end of the day if our crime rates were that of comparable to NYC or LA we wouldn't of had the media attention you mentioned. Fix the problem and the media wouldn't be on the cities back to begin with.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Chicago is a strange beast, one in which its residents tend to emphasize the negatives while tourists seem to love everything about it!
The "locals" who do this are nearly universally suburbanites or older folk living in the gold coast gated neighborhoods in the sky to whom going to Gibsons is taking in the culture. I overheard a convo the other day on a plane where an older woman who lives a tony northern suburb ranted about it for a good half hour and I just wanted to turn around and say "you don't even live in the city".

I am also unconvinced that lower crime rates would rebalance the media coverage. Chicago was exploited even when crime was relatively low by our standards and a good dozen major cities had bigger problems. That is not to say that lower crime in itself is not a worthy goal.

None of this deters the younger people who will matter to the actual city's future though and the pace of development bears that out. Downtown apartment vacancy is incredibly low. Demand for SFHs in close in neighborhoods is high and there is even a sizable revival popping in Bronzville for new construction.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:56 PM

You’ll get more bitter emotions coming from those invested in the city. It’s human nature. You hate to read about crime in the news that could affect the safety of yourself, your family and value of your property and neighboring business. I heard gunshots very early this AM and it’s concerning. One could show me stats how dangerous crime is like 2-3 times worse in cities in neighboring states. That doesn’t help. Crime must go down or it will impact the number of people moving here.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:34 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Chicago garners deserved and undeserved attention from the media... The crime that happens in this city is very serious issue that seems to be unable to be fixed at the current standing. We could have a 24 hour news channel dedicated to violent crime in Chicago that's how much happens on a Dailey basis. Now are there cities that are worse off...sure...but Chicago being one of the largest and most important cities in the country will always be in the spotlight. At the end of the day if our crime rates were that of comparable to NYC or LA we wouldn't of had the media attention you mentioned. Fix the problem and the media wouldn't be on the cities back to begin with.
I'm not disputing the crime situation here in the least bit. I am certainly not blind to the severe problems this city (and almost every other city the last few years!) faces. But even when crime stats, say in 2019, were lower than what they were 20-30 years earlier, this same negativity was occurring as well.

Crime IS a huge issue. Crime MUST be dealt with. What I'm saying is that the negativity is seemingly about much more than crime statistics.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
You’ll get more bitter emotions coming from those invested in the city. It’s human nature. You hate to read about crime in the news that could affect the safety of yourself, your family and value of your property and neighboring business. I heard gunshots very early this AM and it’s concerning. One could show me stats how dangerous crime is like 2-3 times worse in cities in neighboring states. That doesn’t help. Crime must go down or it will impact the number of people moving here.
I’m invested in the city (as a homeowner and person raising kids here) and don’t feel bitter emotions about the crime. It is a choice we make. The violence (more than just “crime”) is a clear problem and needs to be improved, fast.

That said, in my experience, a certain type of person actually DOES like to hear about the violence. “If it bleeds, it leads.” Just look at places like Heyjackass and Second City Cop to see people actively cheering on violence in attempt to validate their political views. The two have become completely intertwined and until we can fix that, I fear we won’t see much improvement.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not disputing the crime situation here in the least bit. I am certainly not blind to the severe problems this city (and almost every other city the last few years!) faces. But even when crime stats, say in 2019, were lower than what they were 20-30 years earlier, this same negativity was occurring as well.

Crime IS a huge issue. Crime MUST be dealt with. What I'm saying is that the negativity is seemingly about much more than crime statistics.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Yup. Crime is an issue and it's unfortunately been increasing for *certain* violent crimes almost everywhere in the US. At the same time, the reality is actually nuanced. The violent crime RATE in at least 80% of the city is actually lower than 2010. At the same time, there are certain types and subtypes of crime that have increased while the overall violent crime rate has mostly decreased compared to even 2010 and other more recent years. That's mainly shootings, homicide, and carjackings.

Here's how nuanced this is though and we'll take Near West Side as an example. FYI carjackings are a type of robbery.. At least thru a few days ago there was the same amount of robbery in this year than 2010 in Near West Side and almost identical amount involving a gun. The difference? More carjackings this year which means that there's less of the other types of robberies that were present in 2010. Not adjusting for population for the record. The robbery rate per 1000 is actually lower today than 10 years ago due to the population increase.

The reality is nuanced and way more than the media or certain social media accounts are even giving a shit to look into (for various reasons). No crime js okay for the record and there's an uptick from 2019 - that much is obvious. However from a total violent crime perspective - which is homicides, aggravated battery (shootings fall into this category), aggravated assault, robbery, and rape
- most of the city has a lower rate of this per 1000 people than even compared to 2010.

If anybody wants data on it, I have tons of it showing this down to a census tract level for the entire city. Rightfully this stuff should get proper press - the violence has been going on for generations . But it should also not pander to people who actually think violent crime is worse today than even a decade ago because for most of the city (not all unfortunately) its not even close to true from a statistical standpoint. I think that all this stuff is now being hyper politicized. Not just here but almost everywhere in the US. I'm all for bringing down the rates but some of the stuff I've read is a bit messed up.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:38 PM

[QUOTE=moorhosj1;9463520]I’m invested in the city (as a homeowner and person raising kids here) and don’t feel bitter emotions about the crime. It is a choice we make.

I think you misinterpreted my point. But I’ll let it rest.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:47 PM

i would prefer a little bit more crime frankly

Old Posted Today, 2:11 AM

1300 W Carrol - ADM elevators

Nov 26

Old Posted Today, 10:19 AM

Moderator?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development