HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Trois-Rivières has a new arena, the Colisée Vidéotron, and a new ECHL team, the Lions.

4,390 seats.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...ns-echl-hockey

$60,6M
Drove by that while it was just steel frame in 2019.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Something doesn't add up here because from the ice to the lowest horizontal beams, UBS looks considerably taller than than CLC.

The upper level at CLC is not much higher than the middle tier at most larger arenas like UBS.

I know that the slope of the rows of seats in the lower bowl of Canada Life Place is at a steeper pitch that those at the Isles' new arena, especially in the 200s - the top 7 rows of the lower bowl. You can tell when you sit in those rows - it's slightly more cramped for leg space.

You can tell just from looking at the pics of the UBS Arena, that the lower bowl seats have a very gentle pitch. Also, above the suites at UBS Arena, there is only one upper deck concourse. The pic makes it seems like there are two upper deck, but's it's a little deceiving. It's just one upper deck with a weird split happening.

Given the space limitations at the phone booth in Winnipeg it is likely considerably narrow from one side of the upper and lower bowls to the other. UBS Arena has far greater space (and legroom) between the rows of seats, leading to far greater diameters in the bowls. I think this creates the impression of a taller building even though the actual difference is minimal.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 4:09 PM

^ No question that the lower tier of UBS has a much more gradual pitch than CLC, but the upper deck looks roughly similar. I realize there may be an optical illusion at play but I would have a hard time believing that from ice level to the lowest horizontal beam is only a two foot difference between the two venues.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 6:54 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Trois-Rivières has a new arena, the Colisée Vidéotron, and a new ECHL team, the Lions.

Portail Constructo

Old rink:

CPatro

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 7:18 PM

The new arena is nice but I am diggin' the old barn. I wonder how many new "Camden Yards" like arenas have been designed/built in Canada. The Coliseum in Toronto is not a new building (i know it is a refurbished old building) but the kind of retro design I was referring to.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 10:03 PM

It's interesting how the Centre Videotron in Trois Rivieres takes some design cues from its larger namesake in Quebec.

It's also interesting that Centre Videotron is located fairly far from downtown, out on the autoroute. That is somewhat at odds with more recent trends in Canada where arenas tend to be placed in city centres. Although again, this is in keeping with what Quebec City did as their Centre Videotron is not downtown even though it is reasonably central.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 10:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
The new arena is nice but I am diggin' the old barn. I wonder how many new "Camden Yards" like arenas have been designed/built in Canada. The Coliseum in Toronto is not a new building (i know it is a refurbished old building) but the kind of retro design I was referring to.
Not many. The only neo-retro arena I can think of is London, Ontario's.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 10:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's interesting how the Centre Videotron in Trois Rivieres takes some design cues from its larger namesake in Quebec.

It's also interesting that Centre Videotron is located fairly far from downtown, out on the autoroute. That is somewhat at odds with more recent trends in Canada where arenas tend to be placed in city centres. Although again, this is in keeping with what Quebec City did as their Centre Videotron is not downtown even though it is reasonably central.
Yeah. The old arena isn't right downtown but is more centrally located. It's part of a recreational campus that also has a minor league retro-style baseball stadium, a horse racing tracking track and a football field.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-72.5589778

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 10:31 PM

I wish Q City had an NHL team if only for the simple fact the arena in my opinion is quite amazing, and is such a waste to only have the Q play in it. (Plus the MTL QCity rivalry would be pretty epic too)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 1:03 AM

Are their 2 ice sheets in that new Trois Rivieres arena? Looking at the right side of the building, what are they using all that interior space for? It can't just be a concourse can it?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 4:59 AM
I am the law!

I don't know. I would not let the design of the mechanical box distract you. There's not enough room on the one side for the rink centred under the mechanical box and the stands.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 6:42 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
It seems obvious to me (but I'm not in marketing so what do I know?) that Arenas and Stadiums should try to have something distinctive in their names, and naming rights should be %Company% %DistinctName%. (Scotiabank Saddledome, Rogers Skydome, etc...). That gives the paying company the publicity they're after, but it also keeps the place memorable to everyone else so they can remember which Rogers or Bell arena is in which city.

The selling rights might need to give a slight discount because they couldn't sell the full name, and people would probably still refer to it as "Saddledome" or "Skydome" or whatever; but it would probably work out for the better in the end.
Many Calgarians are hoping that the name of the new arena will be *company name* Corral, an homage to our first NHL arena - the Stampede Corral - which was recently demolished for the new convention centre, kitty corner to the new arena.

I wouldn't mind "Scotiabank Corral", "Telus Corral", "Shaw Corral"… something like that. Keeps it distinctive to Calgary's 140-year history of rodeos and all that "western" shit. I'd most prefer it to be a locally headquartered company, so Shaw, Benevity, WestJet, etc. would work great. "Cenovus Corral" also has a nice ring to it.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Dec 1, 2021 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 2:21 PM
ハルウララ

Sure, but then locals would just call it 'the Corral' or whatever, defeating the purpose of having a sponsorship naming partner and immediately devaluing the naming rights. That's why we end up with a plethora of Places and Arenas and Centres.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 3:31 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Sure, but then locals would just call it 'the Corral' or whatever, defeating the purpose of having a sponsorship naming partner and immediately devaluing the naming rights. That's why we end up with a plethora of Places and Arenas and Centres.
That’s true, but I mean that’s what happened with the Saddledome. At least the name would appear on all broadcasts and the branded name would be stated in all media. It will almost certainly be called “centre”, “place”, or something generic.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That’s true, but I mean that’s what happened with the Saddledome. At least the name would appear on all broadcasts and the branded name would be stated in all media. It will almost certainly be called “centre”, “place”, or something generic.
The Saddledome was a bit unusual, it was basically grandfathered. I don't think they had the nerve to try to eliminate the Saddledome name although it could have worked given that Rogers managed to pretty well wipe the similarly iconic 'Skydome' name off the map.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 4:39 PM

Quote:
I'd be curious to know how many people actually refer to their home/stadium arena by the corporate name. I wouldn't know what to call where the Leafs or Senators play. Somehow I doubt people (not including media) change what they call an arena because the corporate sponsorship changed. Granted, I don't keep up with it but damn Rogers has made a mess of it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 5:18 PM

Quote:
I'd be curious to know how many people actually refer to their home/stadium arena by the corporate name. I wouldn't know what to call where the Leafs or Senators play. Somehow I doubt people (not including media) change what they call an arena because the corporate sponsorship changed. Granted, I don't keep up with it but damn Rogers has made a mess of it.
People can handle corporate names but it's the name changes that get people using unofficial names. Canada Life Centre hasn't fully caught on the way MTS Centre did. Many in Winnipeg still say MTS Centre/Bell MTS Place. Personally I just say 'the arena' or 'the Jets arena' now.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 5:27 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I'd be curious to know how many people actually refer to their home/stadium arena by the corporate name. I wouldn't know what to call where the Leafs or Senators play.
Most people still call it the 'ACC' these days. The Sens arena is usually 'CTC', 'Kanata', or very rarely 'Corel' or 'Palladium'. There's not really confusion amongst arenas in Kanata like there would be if it were located in the actual city of Ottawa, so referring to it by Kanata usually works. "I'm going to Kanata for a game", etc.

Wouldn't shock me if the new arena in Calgary was simply Scotiabank Arena at the Corral or something like what a lot of stadiums do these days with legacy names.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Most people still call it the 'ACC' these days. The Sens arena is usually 'CTC', 'Kanata', or very rarely 'Corel' or 'Palladium'. There's not really confusion amongst arenas in Kanata like there would be if it were located in the actual city of Ottawa, so referring to it by Kanata usually works. "I'm going to Kanata for a game", etc.

Wouldn't shock me if the new arena in Calgary was simply Scotiabank Arena at the Corral or something like what a lot of stadiums do these days with legacy names.
Palladium, there's a blast from the past. always thought it was a cool name and wondered why they didn't retain it somehow ie Crappy Tire Palladium.

It is dorky those names like, what is it, the Brick Field at Commonwealth Stadium or something equally as lame as that which I can't bother to look up.

But as I say that I can't be too critical, they're helping to pay the bills

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 7:54 PM

The NCC is looking for submissions to develop two key parts of LeBreton Flats, one site for a large venue and another for a smaller venue. They are strongly hinting at an arena, but ultimately, it's the private sector who will decide.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...lout-1.6269828

Breaking News! Melnyk is not closing the door even after his last disastrous attempt at building a LeBreton arena only a few years ago. Only one person has expressed interest in working with him after the collapse of the last arena deal, and that's Gatineau developer Gilles Desjardins (Brigil) who has an ego as big, if not bigger, than Melnyk's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Eugene Melnyk doesn't close the door on a new rink at LeBreton Flats

'While the Ottawa Senators owner isn’t actively in pursuit of another bid to build a rink at the site, located 10 minutes west of the downtown core, he didn’t close the door either when asked by this newspaper Wednesday whether he has any interest in building a new rink there.'

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hoc...box=1638470395

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada