HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 7:51 PM

update on the "Asher Adams" boutique hotel at the Union Pacific depot in the Gateway: construction set to begin next spring -- some renderings which may or many not be new:

https://kutv.com/news/local/bold-new...g-years-behind

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 9:30 PM

Asher Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
update on the "Asher Adams" boutique hotel at the Union Pacific depot in the Gateway: construction set to begin next spring -- some renderings which may or many not be new:

The great hall is taking bookings until February 2022 and so construction likely starts after that. They raised 30 million on Crowdstreet for this, which was over their goal by a great deal so it’d wager it’s a go. If anyone is as dumb as me about these things, you can get a Crowdstreet login and view the webinar about the Asher Adams. It gives some background on the project and what they are trying to do.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 9:46 PM

L'Oriol Plaza - Updated Rendering

Reddit user u/miscredditor71 posted an updated rendering on Reddit of L'Oriol Plaza, which is a proposed condo building to be built on the former Ichiban sushi site. The project is 6 floors, has 60 residential units (ranging from 850 to 1900 square feet). Located at approx. 350 S. & 400 E. The project includes CityLift system parking. Architect: ATLAS.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:

Here is the renderings from the article:

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 11:13 PM
Space Magi

That will be cool. I'm still unsure if I like the exterior design of the new building but the interior and courtyard looks like it will be fabulous.

I'd wager that the developers were inspired by the Crawford Hotel in Denver Union Station. I have to say it won't be quite as cool as Denver's because theirs is still an actual train station.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
That will be cool. I'm still unsure if I like the exterior design of the new building but the interior and courtyard looks like it will be fabulous.

I'd wager that the developers were inspired by the Crawford Hotel in Denver Union Station. I have to say it won't be quite as cool as Denver's because theirs is still an actual train station.
In the webinar I referenced earlier, they specifically stated the Denver Union station was their inspiration. It would be cool if they at least had a UTA terminal there in the hall.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 6:04 AM

RDA Sugar House Rezone

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 1085 E Simpson Ave

The SLC RDA is seeking to rezone the four parcels of the old Sugar House Fire Station from 'PL Public Lands' to 'Sugar House Business District 1' to match the zoning of the adjacent parcel.

Project Description:
Quote:
The Redevelopment Agency has requested that the Planning Division start the process of rezoning the property where the Sugar House Fire Station was formerly located. The proposal includes four parcels that are currently zoned PL Public Lands: 1085 Simpson (2 parcels with the same address), 1095 Simpson, and 1104 Sugarmont Drive. The proposal would rezone the parcels to CSHBD1 Sugar House Business District 1 to match the zoning of the adjacent parcel. The Sugar House Master Plan identifies the parcels as “Institutional and Public Lands.” The future land use map of the Sugar House Master Plan would be modified to match the adjacent parcels that are designated as “Business District Mixed Use-Town Center Scale”. Public engagement for this process would be coordinated with the Sugar House Community Council and is subject to the early engagement requirements in city code. Nearby property owners would be notified of the early engagement process and future public hearings related to the proposal. This memo includes a signature block to initiate the petition if that is the decided course of action. If the decided course of action is to not initiate the application, the signature block can remain blank. Please notify the Planning Division when the memo is signed or if the decision is made to not initiate the petition.
These four parcels covers an area of approximately 3/4 of an acre.

The RDA is also in control of the adjacent property as well. If they are successfully rezoned and are all combined, this equals a land area of approximately 1.61 acres of Sugar House Business District 1 zoned land that the RDA would possess.

This is similar in size to the footprint of the other large housing projects in Sugar House - which is likely the RDA's intent for this land as well. Likely the RDA will seek some sort of affordable housing concessions from a future developer.

What do all of you think?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 7:27 AM

I’d always hoped they’d utilize part of that space to extend the grey line east and then south onto highland drive

Maybe one day

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 1:26 PM

Have any of you had trouble trying to use the search engine on the new Building Salt Lake website? I'm wondering if it's just my desktop or is their new website not fully operational yet ? And yes I'm a registered member.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 6:45 PM

Here are a couple more photos of the Hyatt Regency I took yesterday morning:

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 8:11 PM

Love those, RC14 -- do we know how close they are to topping out? It's actually visually taller than I expected in the skyline. Which I'm not complaining about.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 8:51 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

You know they mean business when they bring in the porta potties.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 8:58 PM
Space Magi

I wonder if they're going to have some kind of official groundbreaking for Astra. Let's get this show on the road! Build it!

Also, thanks for the photos RC14 & Reeder113. 95 State and the CCH are both turning out to be very attractive towers.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 10:15 PM
They all float down here

Quote:

A damn shame. Was hoping this had died.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Same. I think it would've been better to knock down the section of the mall where the Barnes & Noble was and build a hotel there. It's terrible that the entire back side of the depot will be blocked from view and we'll have the bits of the ugly hotel sticking up behind the depot from the front side.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Love those, RC14 -- do we know how close they are to topping out? It's actually visually taller than I expected in the skyline. Which I'm not complaining about.
Comparing the latest photos with the most recent renderings it would appear the main body of the hotel will rise one additional extra height floor, in addition to that will be the south end angled top. If I remember right (very possible I don't) the angled top was only one additional floor but adds the (approximate) equivalent of two or three extra floors of height at it's southern most peak.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Same. I think it would've been better to knock down the section of the mall where the Barnes & Noble was and build a hotel there. It's terrible that the entire back side of the depot will be blocked from view and we'll have the bits of the ugly hotel sticking up behind the depot from the front side.
I concur. I'm not normally a NIMBY about views, but it seems very intrusive on the west end and just plain ugly on the east end, and I think it does an absolutely terrible job of contrasting and/or integrating with the depot. My hope is that it will look better in reality than in the renderings.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 6:59 AM

I can't remember if the marathon refinery has been discussed here but does anyone know if that is going to be here forever? Does that land ever become usable for housing again?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
from the geotechnical study:

Quote:
plans are to demolish existing structures and associated pavement and build multiple mixed-use
slab-on-grade structures across the site (block c, block d south, and block d north). Block d (both) will be ground floor retail with a 6-level parking above. Atop the parking deck will be 3 towers: Block d north pad (parking deck + 15 stories type i residential), block d south sw pad (parking deck + 28-30 stories type i residential tower), and block d south se pad (parking deck + 15-20 stories type i office tower.) and associated pavements.
so my takeaway is that the office tower may have lost a couple floors (20 stories would put it around the same height as 222) and the residential tower may have gained a few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makid View Post
the part that got me was this:

Quote:
block d south sw pad (parking deck + 28-30 stories type i residential tower)

with block d being ground floor retail and 6 levels above for parking, this puts the podium at 7 stories. Then there will be 2 residential towers (15 stories and 28-30 stories) and office tower 15-20 stories.

This puts the heights for these 3 buildings at approximately:

Podium = 75' - 80'
residential 1 = podium plus 150' = 225' - 230'
residential 2 = podium plus 280' - 300' = 355' - 375'
office tower = podium plus 180' - 240' = 255 - 320'

this uses 10' floor to floor for residential builds and 12' floor to floor for office. If the office tower uses 15' floor to floor, it would be up to 375'.

With 375' being the max height for the overlay zone, i could see the final heights being office at 375', residential 2 at 335' and residential 1 at 230'.

I will say that it will be a very large and tall podium but at least there is retail on the ground level.
So, using the old renderings...

Old Rendering - I added the new descriptions of the three towers over the old versions

Old site plan - I added boxes and the new descriptions for the three towers

Old Rendering - I added floor counts for the old versions of the towers

My count of the floors (above podium) in the old rendering for the Block D North residential building is 15, which is what the geotechnical study indicated.

My count of the floors (above podium) in the old rendering for Block D South SE office tower is 15, which is also in line with the lower end of what the geotechnical study indicated.

My count of the floors (above podium) in the old rendering fro Block D South SW hotel tower is 13, which is less than half as many floors as what the geotechnical study indicated for the now proposed residential tower.

So the Southwestern Block D tower being switched from a hotel to residential and becoming much taller (13 above podium to 28-30) appears to my eye to be the main change from the original plan to the 'current' one.

At least that is how it seems to me.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Oct 13, 2021 at 8:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 11:45 PM

Planning Commission Meeting 10/13/2021
Video Link

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Oct 14, 2021 at 9:24 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West