HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 1:24 PM

The roaring 20s was probably more a result of Great War. Women had experienced some liberation in WWI and kept some momentum going. Shedding of old ideas, both good and bad covered nearly all fields.

Whatever the cause, it was one of the greatest outputs of creativity in human history. Some of the greatest books ever written, quantum physics, architecture that is still considered iconic, jazz, expressionist and surrealist art, etc.

It also led to massive racism (rise of Naziism, revival and mainstreaming of the KKK, etc), the rise of totalitarianism.

And of course the risk aversion of the era also fuelled the stock market bubble and subsequent Depression.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
It's incel/men's rights forum taking points. If it sounds crazy well now you know what kind of forums you have to frequent to end up with that viewpoint.
Incels and QAnon are going to keep us from having a positive next decade.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 2:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Dam incels, can't stand when unfluffable people are bitter because no one wants to have sex with them. Shouldn't they understand that no one cares about them and no one ever will. They should just know their place.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
It's incel/men's rights forum taking points. If it sounds crazy well now you know what kind of forums you have to frequent to end up with that viewpoint.
It's always so predictable how they overlap with Trumpism. Just once I wanna see a democrat incel lol

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:13 PM

Probably more sucking like the seventies: rising polarization, drowning in debt and slow economic growth. Maybe the movies will be good.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Nah. Our security apparatus will deal with them appropriately in the years to come. We aren't giving up democracy to virgins who live in their momma's basement.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:37 PM
Closed account

While I consider QAnon dumb, I don't think it'll have a lasting impact on the rest of the decade. Conspiracy theories burn themselves out fairly quickly. The cards are stacked against these things demographically, too.

A decade is a long time - the narrative of Islamic terror everywhere had faded by 2011, even though it had much more dramatic entrance into the minds of the Western world a decade earlier.

I think we'll see the gradual decline of the West. It'll be a slow rot - we'll never quite get back to the "good old days", just like the West never quite fully recovered from the late-2000s crash. The demographic winds that aided us for the last few decades became doldrums, and now will start to become headwinds. Instead of technological revolution, we'll be squeezing fewer gains out at more cost.

The world will be more multipolar and less predictable. I'm not sure if that'll be a good thing or not. Hard to say.

If I had to make a call on certain trends:

- Italy's debt, demographic and economic decline force it out of the Euro. A nation that was wobbly before COVID now devolves into a full-scale mess. Frugal Germany still doesn't want to guarantee debt by foreign nations - the experiment of a currency not backed by a single nation starts falling apart.
- The United States sails merrily along borrowing to pay its expenses. Domestic politics mostly becomes a wealth transfer to the Baby Boom, everybody else will be left holding the bag. But the bill isn't due now and angering such a large contingent of voters is electoral suicide in this decade.

I can't really call the rest of the world as I don't really know enough to do a thorough analysis.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:40 PM

Yeah I can totally see the similarity..

[Millennial 50 years from now]: "Look grandson this is my purple heart award for not being able to eat in a restaurant for an entire year, after surviving that I went on to invent flying cars"

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 9:59 PM

My point was that every movement requires a catalyst, something monumental to put it into action.

I think one thing that has come out of this whole scenario is the `build back better`which is directly linked to the environment and climate change. If we are going to build for jobs then lets make sure we do it sustainably this time.

I think another massive shift we be our desire to move back into personal interaction. This past year has woken everybody up to the reality that we do need this kind of social interaction.............the IPOD just does not cut the mustard. We are social animals and I think this will result in a movement to go back to outings and social gatherings.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
the narrative of Islamic terror everywhere had faded by 2011, even though it had much more dramatic entrance into the minds of the Western world a decade earlier.
Been visiting daily since 2008 and created an account specifically to respond to this post, so forgive me if my formatting is incorrect - it's my first time trying to quote someone.

I feel like you're maybe having a myopic North American view of terror fading since 2011, because since 2015 there have been 295 people killed by Islamic terrorism in France alone. That's not even mentioning Germany or the UK, and these problems show absolutely no sign of abating. Maybe we feel safer on this side of the pond, but Europe has a long, dark road ahead of it in this regard.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:00 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingMiddler View Post
Been visiting daily since 2008 and created an account specifically to respond to this post, so forgive me if my formatting is incorrect - it's my first time trying to quote someone.

I feel like you're maybe having a myopic North American view of terror fading since 2011, because since 2015 there have been 295 people killed by Islamic terrorism in France alone. That's not even mentioning Germany or the UK, and these problems show absolutely no sign of abating. Maybe we feel safer on this side of the pond, but Europe has a long, dark road ahead of it in this regard.
Excellent point.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:09 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingMiddler View Post
Maybe we feel safer on this side of the pond, but Europe has a long, dark road ahead of it in this regard.
A few years ago I was just a couple blocks away when a terrorist attack happened in France. The police took the guy out quickly but had they not he was equipped with stuff that would have allowed him to kill a lot of people. Before that happened I thought that France was overreacting somewhat with its visible police and guns and bollards all over the place.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:42 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I think times are different now, with some limited comparisons. The twenties led to the stock market crash and the depression, events we should be wary of. The roaring twenties were also largely an American phenomenon, the result of a world war which left America untouched, and greater problems elsewhere. This was also the time of prohibition, something we cant really relate to. Are we at a point where we need drastic social change, and a period of rabid consumerism? It seems we are already in the midst those changes and have been for awhile.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 8:32 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
The "roaring '20s" analogue ended in 2008. This is something else.
It's more like the 1872-1873 Canadian Horse Flu all alongside the Crash of Vienna and the Crash of 1873. Not human death, but the loss of horses definitely impacted dreyage, making the railroads less profitable causing a finance panic. This resulted in a 60 month recession/depression in the United States as the gold bugs were demanding payment of their war bonds in gold dollars.

The Spanish Flu didn't have this problem as there was a lot of government spending during the war. The Spanish Flu basically brought the warring nations to a halt but didn't have that big of an impact.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:06 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Boomers claimed the 20's were roaring?

Boomers were born 40 years after the 1920s ended. I don't think they give a crap what went on in the 1920s.
Found this thread and the pedant in me had to respond: Boomers started being born 15 years after the 1920s ended, when their fathers came back from the war. The generally agreed upon era for boomer births is 1945-1964.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:50 AM

Can you imagine living in the 20s?

It's like the masturbation stage of humanity that ejaculated ingenious machinery and the greatest buildings of all time, in my opinion.

Then came the sleepy period after...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee930 View Post
Can you imagine living in the 20s?

It's like the masturbation stage of humanity that ejaculated ingenious machinery and the greatest buildings of all time, in my opinion.

Then came the sleepy period after...
Yes, it's often stated that the 20s was the party and the 30s was the hangover.

It was, however, NOT just a North American phenomenon but happened all across the Western world. In Europe it was referred to as the 'Golden Age Twenties' and in France as 'The Crazy Years' due to it's monumental effects on arts, culture, literature, politics, and social norms.

There is another similarity that maybe playing out right now. The 1920s was, due to the Russian Revolution, the start of the Red Scare. Even businesses tried to capitalise on this like Scott tissue paper showing an ad with a toilet with no paper and then asking the question.......Is your washroom breeding Bolsheviks? Seems odd but today China maybe taking over with a new 'Yellow Scare' as the world is waking up to the real threat it poses to our security and economic vitality.

We are also starting to see the parallels with the stock market. It is going crazy right now with no end in sight as the world starts to finally come out of it's collective hibernation and ditto for our soaring real estate prices based upon nothing but wild speculation. We all know how that ended.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 10:07 AM
video et taceo

There is not going to be a 'party' decade because people are not like that right now. People are risk-averse and institutionally oriented right now. The Western world is comparatively old and sterile.

We could see a partying culture emerge either during or after the next war - the natural partner of sex is death.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 10:19 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
The roaring 20s was probably more a result of Great War. Women had experienced some liberation in WWI and kept some momentum going. Shedding of old ideas, both good and bad covered nearly all fields.

Whatever the cause, it was one of the greatest outputs of creativity in human history. Some of the greatest books ever written, quantum physics, architecture that is still considered iconic, jazz, expressionist and surrealist art, etc.

It also led to massive racism (rise of Naziism, revival and mainstreaming of the KKK, etc), the rise of totalitarianism.

And of course the risk aversion of the era also fuelled the stock market bubble and subsequent Depression.

There was a lot of despair mixed into that forward surge as well. You look at the 'Lost Generation' and things like Eliot's 'The Waste Land' and there was a sense that familiar overarching narratives had been destroyed, and that we were left to inhabit a meaningless world.

Even today, that's the bedrock emotional landscape for hardcore substance abusers and sex addicts. You move inwards, towards bodies and states, when the world is gone.

What happened then would be akin to us losing our faith in progress.

When the average Canadian starts to envisage the future as cruder and more backwards than the present, they'll party.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
There is another similarity that maybe playing out right now. The 1920s was, due to the Russian Revolution, the start of the Red Scare. Even businesses tried to capitalise on this like Scott tissue paper showing an ad with a toilet with no paper and then asking the question.......Is your washroom breeding Bolsheviks? Seems odd but today China maybe taking over with a new 'Yellow Scare' as the world is waking up to the real threat it poses to our security and economic vitality.
Are you suggesting that the Red Scare was a rational response to the real threat of communism? That's a pretty odd way to frame a delusional mania triggered by Western colonial powers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada