HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 4:43 PM

PoMo? It isn't the 80s anymore guys . I'd prefer to see something more modern and adventurous befitting our image as a young, up-and-coming city.

53w53 by Jean Nouvel, NYC

9 Dekalb by Shop Architects, under construction in Brooklyn (see also their 111 w57th, of course)

Guangzhou CTF by KPF

Melbourne's Green Spine (proposed) by UNStudio

Another proposal for the Melbourne site, by architect Ma Yansong:

Last edited by myBrain; Dec 8, 2020 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 4:53 PM
クラブトクヨ

Love all those modern ones! 53w53 is my fav!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 8:32 PM

Yep, those are definitely what we should be building right now.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:06 PM

I'm not a huge fan of modern. I prefer something that mixes the modern with the classical.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:21 PM

I would love to see green spaces on a balcony of a signature tower. At least a good amount of open space.

Definitely needs something that is eye catching, especially when it's lit up at night.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 10:52 PM

On my drive to Panama City when I lived there I passed through Mobile, AL and thought their tallest looked nice. Would be a nice companion to Frost tower.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 5:46 AM

I don't care what it looks like as long as it is well over 1,000ft. Ideally 1,250ft or higher.

Really tired of the pathetic sub-1000ft ones we've been getting.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
I don't care what it looks like as long as it is well over 1,000ft. Ideally 1,250ft or higher.

Really tired of the pathetic sub-1000ft ones we've been getting.
I'm kind of with you in that boat. Just as long as a 1,000 ft+ building sprouts out, I would be happy.

The Salesforce Tower in SF (1,070ft) is a mammoth and can be seen from almost every angle from the surrounding area.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 11:28 PM

The first Comcast Center in Philly is a beauty. (973 feet) It’s comprised of curtain wall glass but it’s not bland. It’s slender and sleek, with a cubical crown on top. Really nice cohesive scale as it widens a bit at street level. It was built in 2008 and is just really well done. Have seen it in person a couple times.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 1:06 AM

We don't know yet what an 800 ft tower would look like with our current skyline. I'd wager anything between 700'-1000' would really make a huge difference in our skyline.

That being said, I personally prefer the more traditional iconic skyscrapers like The Chrysler, or Willis Tower. If we have a more modern structure something like the Wilshire Grand Center in Los Angeles would be amazing.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:15 AM

Austin's proposed 98 Red River tower is trash compared to the masterpieces featured in this thread. Just look at 9 Dekalb or Rose Hill then at 98 Red River tower, then back to 9 Dekalb or Rose Hill and back at Waller Creek Tower. You'll appreciate how disappointing and messy the 98 Red River tower is. Many of the posters on this forum seem enamored by its height and the fact that it might be breaking ground during the pandemic. To paraphrase Carl Sagan, extraordinary height demands extraordinary scrutiny since it will be visible to everyone around Lady Bird Lake. The current design of 98 Red River is a jumbled, asymmetric, discontinuous mess. Austin can absolute do better than this.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
Austin's proposed 98 Red River tower is trash compared to the masterpieces featured in this thread. Just look at 9 Dekalb or Rose Hill then at 98 Red River tower, then back to 9 Dekalb or Rose Hill and back at Waller Creek Tower. You'll appreciate how disappointing and messy the 98 Red River tower is. Many of the posters on this forum seem enamored by its height and the fact that it might be breaking ground during the pandemic. To paraphrase Carl Sagan, extraordinary height demands extraordinary scrutiny since it will be visible to everyone around Lady Bird Lake. The current design of 98 Red River is a jumbled, asymmetric, discontinuous mess. Austin can absolute do better than this.
I don't think that the lack of cohesiveness is a bad thing for this tower. As I've mentioned before, I think it's another exploration of a new type of tower that Austin will be getting more of, which is a mix of uses (residential, office, hotel). Like 6xguad, the mixed uses are broken up visually on the tower and the separations create some amazing sky lobby amenity floors. It's not traditional, it's new, and therefore it's different and I presume it will ruffle a few feathers. But I think it's great for Austin to be getting these types of towers to sort of define its look, rather than the traditional same old.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 5:42 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

I would love something like the Al Hamra building in Kuwait City. My favorite building currently

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:21 AM

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 1:28 PM

That building is stunning. A truly iconic building!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:05 PM

Yep. Absolutely beautiful.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:23 PM
World Traveler

Post office site?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:01 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Outstanding design! This one's planned to be 1,646' tall! One Vanderbilt, the building in the diagram to the east of Grand Central Station, is 1,401' tall.

Oh, if you haven't noticed, this building may still have an Austin connection. MSD Partners was originally involved with this project. Michael Dell's investment company. However, that was in February 2019. I'm not sure if they are still involved.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:38 PM

If we could just get something elegant like that HERE that would be grrrrrreeat. Something classy and symmetrical.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 7:14 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
If we could just get something elegant like that HERE that would be grrrrrreeat. Something classy and symmetrical.
Yet still pushing the envelope. It's classy with a modern touch. I like it a lot also.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin