HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 6:43 AM

University Towers is getting demolished? I didn't know. I lived there one year when going to UT, right after it got remodeled. And yes, assuming it's the same as it was back then, the parking garage is the one across 23rd street.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:38 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Why are they demolishing it in the first place and what would go up in it's place? Will it be as tall or taller? Also agree that affordability should be too priority and doubt whatever is planned will be affordable.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:26 PM

West Campus is probably the most affordable neighborhood in Central Austin. It's a shining example of the fact that affordability is achieved by allowing density, not fighting it. Of all the the justifications for NIMBYism, that one is the least valid. (And to be clear I absolutely do support resisting development for a variety of other reasons)

Will this new development be as affordable as Towers? No, of course not. But what it will do is apply pressure on other older properties with less amenities, and force them to lower their prices. I wish that West Campus wasn't the only neighborhood in Austin that we were able to watch this happen in.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Why are they demolishing it in the first place and what would go up in it's place? Will it be as tall or taller? Also agree that affordability should be too priority and doubt whatever is planned will be affordable.
All we have is a demo permit. But the permit says the future use for the site is multi-family. So they most likely wouldn't be doing the demo unless they were going to max out the height and density for the site.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
West Campus is probably the most affordable neighborhood in Central Austin. It's a shining example of the fact that affordability is achieved by allowing density, not fighting it. Of all the the justifications for NIMBYism, that one is the least valid. (And to be clear I absolutely do support resisting development for a variety of other reasons)

Will this new development be as affordable as Towers? No, of course not. But what it will do is apply pressure on other older properties with less amenities, and force them to lower their prices. I wish that West Campus wasn't the only neighborhood in Austin that we were able to watch this happen in.
The problem here is that block is already near the maximum possible density, and it’s also relatively affordable per bed compared to the median in the area. This isn’t NIMBYism either given, as pointed out, there’s already a massive housing complex on the site and the concern is more about what will certainly be a markup on whatever it’s redeveloped into.

And you’re mistaken that it will put downward price pressure on the few remaining affordable complexes in WC. Just the opposite actually. Converting Towers, which is a sizable portion of the lower price tier of West Campus’ housing stock (per bed) without increasing number of units (or worse, building a more expensive complex that has even less beds) in the market will leave the remaining lower price tiered housing stock trying to meet the same demand for affordable units. The result is upward price pressure on the lower end of the housing stock, and further cannabalization by vigilant developers.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 10:35 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Forgive the quality but here are a couple of pics I snapped this afternoon. It's crazy to think that a few years ago, the view from the corner of MLK and Guadalupe did not have any midrises/highrises from that vantage point and now it looks like this.

The city needs to allow towers over 20 floors in that area. At this point it makes no sense to cap heights where they are at.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 11:46 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

The city needs to allow towers over 20 floors in that area. At this point it makes no sense to cap heights where they are at.
Especially since West Campus is pretty much isolated from any surrounding residential neighborhoods. Most of what is between the northern edge of the west end of downtown and West Campus are commercial uses in historic(ish) single family homes. Lamar and Pease Park act like a buffer to the west, all of the UT Campus is to the east. North Campus to the north is the only real wild card the nimbys would have, but even then that area is already heavily student housing stock. There really is no reason West Campus couldn't and shouldn't support taller buildings.

That said, I'm not crazy about knocking down existing buildings to build new ones. I'd rather see all the parking lots filled in first, have the developers assemble lots, get rid of parking garages, (putting the parking below grade). Then they can start knocking down whatever existing buildings warrant it.

I also feel like some of what has already been built in West Campus isn't legit density. To me, it doesn't make much sense to tear down 4-story wood-framed apartment complexes only to up 6 to 8-story apartment buildings. If you're going to go through the whole process of acquiring properties and assembling lots, then go big. The demand is certainly there and isn't going away. Make it worth it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:53 PM
Meh

Site plan for "Twenty Four Zero One" - this is a 7-story building at 620 West 24th Street, but the address is also listed as 2401 Rio Grande Street. The lot is bound by West 24th 1/2, West 24th, and Rio Grande Streets, and Seton Avenue.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=589424

A site plan from 2017 was already approved and released, and it was also listed as a 7-story building. It seems odd that they'd go for such a short height. This is across the street from the 16-story 2400 Nueces high rise. There are no elevations posted, but it shows the site.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=589424

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Continuing with the West Campus project confusion...

A site plan was filed today for the 2200 block of Rio Grande. The project is called Two Two Zero Four which is probably subject to a name change or two before it opens. The area is zoned for the maximum height allowed in West Campus:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=475364
2204 SAN ANTONIO

Quote:
An 18 story tower located one block from the University of Texas at Austin in the West Campus neighborhood, this development will boast 165 units (563 beds), study rooms, an amenity level hot tub, a rooftop pool and sky gym. The yet to be named development has a delivery date of July 2020.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Passed by over the weekend and this site now has fencing around it, anyone know what's planned here?
4/11

Untitled by Darius Fontenette, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:45 PM

News of this project has been posted before. But a demo permit was filed today:
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=428840

Here's the site:

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
News of this project has been posted before. But a demo permit was filed today:

Here's the site:
2406 is the parking lot or 7-11,.... not what is now "Freedman's" , which is 2402.
Whew..... got me a'scared for a moment.!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:22 AM
Meh

Site plan, without elevations, for 2408 San Gabriel Street "Hill Top".

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...an_PLAN_01.pdf

-

Quote:
The applicant is proposing demolition of current improvements and replacement with a multi-family development consisting of underground parking and other associated improvements..

Project Name: HILLTOP
2406 SAN GABRIEL ST
Luffing crane plan
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ne_PLAN_01.pdf

Soil retention plans
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...on_PLAN_01.PDF

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:31 PM

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 10:17 PM

The site plan for the Hilltop shows that it will be built around Freedman's.

Here's the site viewed from 24th St. Tap 24 is doomed as well as the little 7-11 strip mall on the other side of Freedman's.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 10:26 PM

This drawing shows the footprint of the Hilltop. It looks like a small parking area for Freedman's is planned. This reminds me of the project that went up around the Broken Spoke.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:16 AM

I like that parking job. Just go ahead and drive over the curb then squeeze between the tree and the support column onto the sidewalk but stop before you break the window.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
I like that parking job. Just go ahead and drive over the curb then squeeze between the tree and the support column onto the sidewalk but stop before you break the window.
Please tell me whyyyyy
The car is in the front yard
And I'm sleeping with my clothes on
Came in through the window last night....

Anyway, sad to see Cuatro's/Tap 24 building is gonna be demo'ed. It's one of the more refreshing buildings to look at in West Campus, architecturally speaking. I hope whatever replaces it won't be as boring and dull as what's across the street (where Fresh Plus is)....but it almost certainly will be. Oh well

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:34 PM

Here are some old renderings of the proposed Freedman's apartment building:

https://austin.towers.net/proposed-s...n-west-campus/

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Here are some old renderings of the proposed Freedman's apartment building:

https://austin.towers.net/proposed-s...n-west-campus/
I forgot about those. Everything about this project was giving me that deja vu feeling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin