HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I will say it's frustrating the amount of stuff I post here to no response, including the above with new renderings of the Terminal Core Redevelopment.
I consider you the most trusted source of news on Portland developments on this forum. I greatly appreciate your posts!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:11 AM

Quote:
I will say it's frustrating the amount of stuff I post here to no response, including the above with new renderings of the Terminal Core Redevelopment.
please don't take the lack of response as a lack of interest. I found the TCR vid fascinating, enjoyed the new renderings, plan and update and learned quite a lot about airport facility funding structure and bond issuance - which i never knew that i would care to know about. thank you for your efforts here as well as on Next Portland. and we will make an effort to get out and post more.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Just want to echo the comments of the posters above and say thanks, Mac. I was a long-time lurker and even now only post and/or reply infrequently. But if there were a LIKE button or emojis or something, I'm sure you'd feel the love. Best to ya.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonLT5 View Post
Just want to echo the comments of the posters above and say thanks, Mac. I was a long-time lurker and even now only post and/or reply infrequently. But if there were a LIKE button or emojis or something, I'm sure you'd feel the love. Best to ya.
Yup I’m same way. That’s why I was finally motivated to create a user name I couldn’t believe how dead it was in here. But glad folks are feeling the same way I am and we keep this board active.

And my goodness how different is PDX going to feel in 5 or so years

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 7:02 PM

I wish we had a like button as I know your posts Iain are greatly appreciated and viewed! The TCOR renderings are awesome. Does the airport have to go through the city's design review process?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I wish we had a like button as I know your posts Iain are greatly appreciated and viewed! The TCOR renderings are awesome. Does the airport have to go through the city's design review process?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The TCOR renderings are awesome. Does the airport have to go through the city's design review process?
No, there's no design overlay at the airport. In any case the City's design review process is really set up to regulate the exterior of buildings, which isn't really how people experience airports.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 9:04 PM

Yeah, I read on updates nearly every day. I just don’t comment much anymore. Your updates are much appreciated.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonLT5 View Post
Long-time lurker here too. Really appreciate the effort you put into keeping all of us up to date. Also, recently realized you had a hand in the only other skyscraper page I follow.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forums/edinburgh.3733/

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
No, there's no design overlay at the airport. In any case the City's design review process is really set up to regulate the exterior of buildings, which isn't really how people experience airports.
Haha, that's right. With the airport it didn't even cross my mind that they don't review the interior. I like it. I hope it gets a little more scrutiny from the Citizens Advisory Committee and others to make the final product still "feel" Portland. This is THE first and last impression of our city for a good chunk of our visitors. It feels like the design should be challenged so we get the best final product from the available funds.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 6:55 AM

Quote:
I'm here too, maccoinnich – eternally grateful.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:58 PM

Just chiming in to say thanks as well. I check often but rarely contribute but really appreciate everything you guys post.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your hard work and dedication. And the renderings of the new terminal lobby are fantastic! I had no idea they were planning to double the terminal's size!

On a separate note, I wish when the airport was originally conceived, the designers had given consideration to views of Mt. Hood... Imagine if the entire airport was flipped 180 degrees. The views from the terminal would be spectacular... oh well

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 7:08 PM
BANNED

So basically the main terminal will be one big open space with security checkpoint in the back ?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:04 PM

Thank you, maccoinnich, for sharing these and for all your other hard work digging up development news. It truly is appreciated. I'm wondering if Oregon Market shops will still be accessible to the non- ticketed public in this new design? Or will they be post security? Gorgeous renderings, I love that roof. Makes you realize how long overdue this is.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scleeb View Post
I wish when the airport was originally conceived, the designers had given consideration to views of Mt. Hood... Imagine if the entire airport was flipped 180 degrees. The views from the terminal would be spectacular... oh well
The new concourse E does have great views of Mt Hood. Not the same as the main terminal but they really opened up the east end of that concourse for the view.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 9:03 PM

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 9:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Thank you, maccoinnich, for sharing these and for all your other hard work digging up development news. It truly is appreciated. I'm wondering if Oregon Market shops will still be accessible to the non- ticketed public in this new design? Or will they be post security? Gorgeous renderings, I love that roof. Makes you realize how long overdue this is.
Yea that’s exactly what I’m wondering

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:41 AM

In the presentation it was mentioned they believe the current Oregon Market provided too much retail pre-security. My assumption is a lot of the retailers will not be available to the general non ticketed public. That's part of why I hope there will be challenges to the design to make sure it really fits the Portland vibe, and not just a limited group of people who dream of a sparkling but sterile internationally acclaimed airport. Part of this concern stems from the massive interchange the port is hoping to build at 82nd Ave and Airport Way and the huge garage for rental cars currently under construction.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:33 PM

Yeah let's hope they keep it open to the public in some capacity. I didn't know about the interchange plans (I admit I haven't watched the whole video yet) -- what are your concerns about the rental garage?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure