HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 4:26 PM
life in the present

Remember those in the top photo well, all early Halifax Transit. vehicles had that arrow motif on them. The insides of those ferries were mostly dark wood, I remember them being very dark and somber inside as a kid.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 9:52 PM

I can remember lots of cars lining up to board in Dartmouth to cross on a Sunday nite

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
How many on here remember the ferries prior to the current modern ferries. I often rode these across the harbour in the 1970's:

This one was before my time (prior to the MacDonald Bridge being built). It is hard to imagine having to take a car ferry over to Dartmouth.

Source for both images: http://shipfax.blogspot.ca/2012_02_01_archive.html
The top photo looks like around the time that they were taken out of service, replaced by the current style of boat. I remember them well, thought they were quite cool, actually (from a kid's perspective).

Did you know they were built at the same shipyard that built the Bluenose?

Source

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 6:30 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
The top photo looks like around the time that they were taken out of service, replaced by the current style of boat. I remember them well, thought they were quite cool, actually (from a kid's perspective).

Did you know they were built at the same shipyard that built the Bluenose?

Source
No I didn't know where they were built. I didn't realize that the hull was wood. Thanks for the information.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 6:51 PM
Honored Member

Cool pictures DartmouthMark (I will drop the "Old' since it seems condescending ).

I wonder if the Dartmouth Ferry terminal in 1942 would have been the same one that I would have gone through in the 1970's?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Cool pictures DartmouthMark (I will drop the "Old' since it seems condescending ).

I wonder if the Dartmouth Ferry terminal in 1942 would have been the same one that I would have gone through in the 1970's?
Lol... the "old" part of my name came from Old Dartmouth, not "old" me. I don't think of myself as being that old.

I believe that ferry terminal is the same. I remember it quite well going from quaint Dartmouth to the "big city" back when I was a kid.

Here's a link to a photo of it from the Chronicle Herald:
https://shop.thechronicleherald.ca/V...ry_p_3705.html

Here are a couple of pics from the Austenville Owl's club website (linked below):

The first is from the mid seventies, based on the cars in the photo. It appears to be the same building with the "tower" section removed:

The second pic is from, I would guess, the late 1970s (again based on the cars), now painted white.

Source

Also, scroll down to the bottom of this page to see the sad fate that awaited the Halifax II and the Dartmouth II.

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Jan 26, 2017 at 8:01 PM. Reason: Added another photo.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 9:57 PM
Honored Member

Fantastic research OldDartmouthMark. There are some very interesting stories in this link that you provided - http://shipfax1.rssing.com/chan-8304476/all_p34.html

Looking at the pictures, it seems like almost every building in 1940's downtown Dartmouth near the ferry terminals was torn down.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 8:13 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Fantastic research OldDartmouthMark. There are some very interesting stories in this link that you provided - http://shipfax1.rssing.com/chan-8304476/all_p34.html

Looking at the pictures, it seems like almost every building in 1940's downtown Dartmouth near the ferry terminals was torn down.
actually i think most of those buildings are still there. the current ferry terminals were constructed for the new ferries (halifax III and Dartmouth III) in 1978 (ish)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 9:19 AM

It depends on which part you're talking about. Most of the buildings on the northeast side of Portland street at Alderney Drive (formerly Commercial St.) are still there, but just about everything else is gone (along Commercial). Queen Square took out the whole block surrounded by Alderney Dr., Octherloney, Edward St. and Queen St. Alderney Landing took out everything on the west side of Alderney from Ochterloney to Portland. The realignment of Commercial St. when it was changed to what is present-day Alderney Dr. took out most of what was on South side of Portland, redevelopment in the 1960s-70s took out the rest. The Dartmouth Marine Slips are all long gone now as well, replaced by Kings Landing.

To illustrate, here is an aerial of the Dartmouth waterfront from around 1959-60:

Zoom in at the link:
https://novascotia.ca/archives/NSIS/...es.asp?ID=1405

For comparison check out the link for Bing Maps birdseye (circa 2007-ish?):
https://binged.it/2kAPsH5

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 2:27 PM
Honored Member

Interesting illustration and description, OldDartmouthMark.

It looks like most of the Alderney Drive-Portland Street-Queen Street-King Street block is still intact but not much else.

I can't remember much of Old Dartmouth, even though I traveled through the old ferry terminal and would have passed through downtown Dartmouth prior to Queen's Landing.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Interesting illustration and description, OldDartmouthMark.

It looks like most of the Alderney Drive-Portland Street-Queen Street-King Street block is still intact but not much else.

I can't remember much of Old Dartmouth, even though I traveled through the old ferry terminal and would have passed through downtown Dartmouth prior to Queen's Landing.
I lived the first 30-some years of my life there, so I remember a lot of it quite well, though some of the memories haved faded somewhat...

I can look at the above photo and remember a lot of the buildings that are no longer there. I recall the area to be quite vibrant in the 1970s, but when I go there now it seems more like a ghost town, though I will say it seems to be starting a revival. I'm hoping that a lot of empty lots there will start to see some development in the next few years.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 3:13 PM

Here's an interesting photo, taken July 30, 1955, from the Chronicle Herald archive Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/thechronicl...type=3&theater

The building on the corner currently houses Maxwell's Plum, and all the stuff in the background currently houses the 'bank bunker'.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64595...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 9:51 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Here's an interesting photo, taken July 30, 1955, from the Chronicle Herald archive Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/thechronicl...type=3&theater

The building on the corner currently houses Maxwell's Plum, and all the stuff in the background currently houses the 'bank bunker'.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64595...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Interesting find. Your google link is a few years old though (no Nova Center). Here is a more up to date link - https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64592...8i6656!6m1!1e1. I like the current colour scheme.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Interesting find. Your google link is a few years old though (no Nova Center). Here is a more up to date link - https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64592...8i6656!6m1!1e1. I like the current colour scheme.
Yes, I linked to the older Google street view as it offered the same perspective as the vintage photo (taken from the part of Grafton Street which is no longer accessible due to NC construction). The buildings pictured haven't changed much since then.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 11:22 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Yes, I linked to the older Google street view as it offered the same perspective as the vintage photo (taken from the part of Grafton Street which is no longer accessible due to NC construction). The buildings pictured haven't changed much since then.
That makes sense.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 12:29 PM

The HRM Municipal Archives have a Flickr page, and there are some great photos, here is a sample:

102-39-1-1308.2 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

Demolition of the old jetty by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

102-39-1-1428.5 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

102-39-1-1312.6 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

Cogswell Interchange:
Construction of Cogswell Interchange by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

102-39-1-1292.12 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

Placing fill for the construction of the Cogswell Interchange (composite panorama) by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

102-39-1-1354.2 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

Metro Centre:
102-39-1-1423.6 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

102-39-1-1423.8 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

102-39-1-1405.16 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

102-39-1-1396.11 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

102-39-1-1396.9 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

102-39-1-1396.3 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

102-39-1-1396.2 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 12:52 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The HRM Municipal Archives have a Flickr page, and there are some great photos, here is a sample:

102-39-1-1308.2 by Halifax Municipal Archives, on Flickr
Very interesting, especially the Metro Centre construction photos.

Where was the Halifax arena, and when was it torn down (or does it still exist?)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
*snip*
Wow! What a treasure-trove of old photos! I foresee many hours of scanning this site...

Thanks very much!!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:49 PM
Honored Member

Does anyone have any information on this building (when it was built, when it was torn down). The image below is along George Street, it is the building on the harbour side of the current AGNS Building, to the right of the "Players Please" sign).

source: http://gencat1.eloquent-systems.com/...word=cheapside )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos