HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Cordova Realty has changed their name and is now known as Thrive Properties. Their website has been completely updated.

Their development in the western reaches of the Vision Lands is to be known as Mapleton Park Place. Their webpage on this project includes this very general site plan of the proposed development:

This sort of initial visioning exercise can be subject to all sorts of changes as the planning process carries on and matures, and as things naturally evolve with time. For example, the eight storey apartment building that they are building in behind the Four Points Hotel isn't really specified in this site plan, but at least you can get a broad idea for what they have in mind for this large piece of property.

It is interesting however that they have included a school near the centre of this development. I'm willing to bet anything that they are angling for the fifth anglophone high school for the metro area that the Anglophone East School Board wants to build within the next decade.
A look around their sit shows they have a lot more in store for Moncton than initially thought.
This project consists of three 6 stories buildings in Cabela’s Court with a projected opening of Fall 2022

They also have the Tides in Riverview listed as opening in Winter 2021, the Oak which is the first building in the Twin Oaks drive development opening Summer 2022, the current in Riverview opening fall 2023

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 4:57 AM

I was thinking the same thing. They have so much on their plate. Their site also shows a development in Riverview called Dobson Crossing, consisting of 3 buildings, 4 stories totaling 250 units. This is slated to commence in the spring of 2021. Will they be able to pull off all this construction in the time frames they have stated?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:56 AM

That's awfully ambitious... considering how the vision lands have been developing so far I imagine this is a 20-25 year plan.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 2:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I must admit that I only gave a passing glance to the new Thrive Properties website and missed this image below:

So, Mapleton Crossing is well and truly dead, with the killing blow presumably the closure of Cabela's. In it's place, this area can now be considered the western exclave of the Mapleton Park Place development, and it will be mixed use, with all new buildings to be apartment buildings. The location, backing on Mapleton Park, could be attractive for a residential development, but I wonder what the ultimate plans are now for the old Cabela's building? It's architectural uniqueness might make repurposing difficult (unless for a similar business). If LL Bean ever comes to Moncton, they could take it over, but I doubt this will happen since current ownership gives Bass Pro Shops a veto as to who moves in, and I doubt they want another competitor in the marketplace. I fear this building will get demolished, probably for additional residential development...……….

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 2:25 PM

It looks too close to the highway and too clustered with other heavy commercial development to be suited to a residential purpose IMO.

And eyeballing it on google maps, it doesn't seem that architecturally unique; it's still a basic rectangular building with an elaborate facade. Tearing down the "log cabin" look of the front and putting a more standard entrance or two shouldn't be too difficult nor expensive as a remodel, as long as they find a tenant for it.

It does seem to have more air exchangers than normal on the roof (I'm counting 19, compared to Princess Auto next door that only has 6 for a slightly smaller building); so I don't know what that would imply for the guts.

Still a tear down to break the lot up more might be the most financially sound use for that lot. With more residential, plus all the hotels near it, I would think a restaurant cluster, maybe with a drug store might work. The problem is, there's already a significant restaurant cluster just down the road, so it might be hard to find chains to move in, even if they are highway/hotel oriented.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 2:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good post all way round.

The location next to the highway might make residential development more difficult to be sure, but the current retail environment will also make it exceedingly difficult for new retail to occupy this space (aside from a small commercial strip to service the nearby apartment buildings). I don't think there will be any franchised restaurants moving in. They would be more likely to set up shop in the Granite Centre.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Structural steel going up at the JessEm Tools factory location in the MID West Industrial Park. Photo from the Newco Construction FB page.

And a better photo from a CBC article today, showing most of the structural steel erected - this is a fairly large building!

Last edited by MonctonRad; Dec 1, 2020 at 8:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 12:28 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the December PAC agenda for the city of Moncton:

Quote:
From Stephen Davies on behalf of Cornerstone Co-operative Ltd 150 Preston Crescent (PID 70311261 and 156-160 Preston Crescent (PID 70158597) a conditional use application to allow a multiple unit residential building in the R3 Zone and variances to (1). To allow parking in the required front yard; (2) reduce the parking lot screening from 2 metres 1.9 metres; (3) increase the distance between jogs and recesses in one area for 54 residential units and a private event hall. (File 20-43421 & 20-43422)

Site plan

South elevation

Ground level floor plan

This is a very generic five storey apartment building but this project is notable because it will be located on a suburban crescent in the Pinehurst neighbourhood of Moncton, and, in addition, there are plans for an included private event hall (which I imagine could occasionally be rented for noisy parties). This would be completely out of character for the surrounding neighbourhood. It will be interesting to see if there are any objections filed either at PAC or at city council..........

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 5:08 PM

They are putting up the fifth and last floor at 2265 Mountain road.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:49 PM

Above mentioned photo

I do not pretend to be an expert in the construction field but I find it very strange and risky to be installing windows when framing is not where near complete on that top floor.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:58 PM

It's not that risky, though you don't usually see it on shorter buildings. On skyrises and tall buildings in general, they'll usually be 'finishing' the outside fo the first floors while the higher floors are still just a steel frame.

Getting the windows in as soon as reasonable does let them start sealing up and waterproofing the building faster, and if a window does happen to crack for some reason, insurance/warranty would probably handle it fairly easily.

*Edit* I hadn't seen the picture when I wrote my response, and now I see you are talking about the windows being in the segments up on the floor under construction.

It does seem to be a bit strange, but those seem to basically be pre-built panels. So the windows are probably part of the structural strength for the panel, to make sure it stays square. The windows themselves aren't anywhere near where any actual work is done (unlike the segments with the patio doors), so it's likely an acceptible risk to have the windows in now. Trading the efficiency of being able to install them in a more controlled manner, and not need to risk lifting the windows up and installing them from scaffolding after the fact.

Last edited by Taeolas; Dec 4, 2020 at 4:19 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another perspective on 2265 Mountain Road

This is a long building. They may have topped out the front of the building facing Mountain Road, but they have not yet started on the superstructure of the rear end of the building. I wonder if they are going to do this during the wintertime or wait until spring? There appears to be a full crew working on site...........

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 2:34 PM

I see roof trust are being installed. They better hurry if they want it covered so they can start to work inside.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 11:50 PM

I don't understand. Pretty sure at the beginning of the 2265 Mountain road buildings' discussion there was mention that they couldn't start on the second building until the first one was 50% +1 occupied. Could they have already rented out over half without anybody seeing the inside? They started digging the foundation for the second building. I'm puzzled.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitites View Post
I don't understand. Pretty sure at the beginning of the 2265 Mountain road buildings' discussion there was mention that they couldn't start on the second building until the first one was 50% +1 occupied. Could they have already rented out over half without anybody seeing the inside? They started digging the foundation for the second building. I'm puzzled.
Very possible considering Tannery place south had takers for all of its units several months ago and the building is still not completed.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 7:35 PM

Residents have been told mid-January move in date for Tannery South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Very possible considering Tannery place south had takers for all of its units several months ago and the building is still not completed.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:42 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This proposed building for 2430 Mountain Road now has a listing on CCD Canada for contractors to view documents and bid on construction.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:43 PM

I'm having a hard time keeping track of all these new apartments in the tri-community. I need a Google map with pins.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
I'm having a hard time keeping track of all these new apartments in the tri-community. I need a Google map with pins.
I’m the same way! The 6 storey buildings designed by spitfire are the new four storey beige siding buildings.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This proposed building for 2430 Mountain Road now has a listing on CCD Canada for contractors to view documents and bid on construction.

That would be across from the Home Hardware Parking lot or there about.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces