HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They did that thing on McPhillips where they circumvented the Cities requirements and were fined as such. They were supposed to build a park. Instead they built another building.

They tried to do the thing on the east side of Pembina but failed there.

Which is why the City is raking them over the coals. I hold little hope they can get what they plan to done. I will never see GEM as any sort of upstanding developer. They are the epitome of shady real estate developer.
That Mcphillips project sat half finished with exposed plywood for years.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 8:18 PM

Apartments in the parking lot. The green space is like the only space in that development they couldn't possibly fit more asphalt to park cars. Probably would've if the City didnt impose the greenspace requirement.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:45 PM

Walked by the (former) Revenue Canada building on Broadway and it appears to have been mostly vacated by its former tenant. Signs remain advertising that the building still isn't spoken for. Oh the possibilities...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Walked by the (former) Revenue Canada building on Broadway and it appears to have been mostly vacated by its former tenant. Signs remain advertising that the building still isn't spoken for. Oh the possibilities...
The sale includes the parking lot at 64 Donald St.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 12:19 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
It didn't seem straight to me when I read it. But I guess that's on me. My apologies.
No worries at all. I thought maybe I had missed something they had done.

My guess is now that they have the plan approved they will sell off pieces to developers like Qualico.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:22 AM

Whatever happened to the proposal for the land between McDermot and Bannatyne. Probably the 2nd biggest hole in the exchange besides Marketlands.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:58 PM

308 Colony

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but there is a zoning amendment going forward for 308 Colony to allow for a 20 storey mixed use building. This would be between the new Muse Flats and U of W Commons replacing what appears to be a two storey commercial building. Applicant is Cibinel Architecture. If this were to go ahead, that little chunk of downtown would be pretty dense.

Item 2 in Public Hearings

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but there is a zoning amendment going forward for 308 Colony to allow for a 20 storey mixed use building. This would be between the new Muse Flats and U of W Commons replacing what appears to be a two storey commercial building. Applicant is Cibinel Architecture. If this were to go ahead, that little chunk of downtown would be pretty dense.

Interesting news.

In the same meeting agenda. There is still ongoings about the Provencher Bridges project. Sorting out land openings, closings, ownership etc. There's similar tings ongoing on the east side as well. Most of it is City property anyways. It's only been 20 years haha..

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post

I like it, nothing fancy just density.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:38 PM

What was the latest with the old dealership on Portage? The one with the fancy chain link fence. Playing the waiting game?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:44 PM

Thanks for sharing that, rivercity. That is really cool... who would have ever thought that on one short block of Colony we'd see
  • WAG Inuit Art Centre
  • Downtown Common
  • 290 Colony
  • Buhler Centre
  • and now, 308 Colony

all go up in barely over a decade. That's an impressive amount of new density to build on what Colony Square already brought to the area. I like the commercial space on the ground floor to help activate the street.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thanks for sharing that, rivercity. That is really cool... who would have ever thought that on one short block of Colony we'd see
  • WAG Inuit Art Centre
  • Downtown Common
  • 290 Colony
  • Buhler Centre
  • and now, 308 Colony

all go up in barely over a decade. That's an impressive amount of new density to build on what Colony Square already brought to the area. I like the commercial space on the ground floor to help activate the street.
I love it! Over my time at UWinnipeg’s Faculty of Business I heard of rumours the University was considering the purchase of 308 Colony to expand due to the massive growth seen at the FBE as well as the continuing education division of the university, both currently located at Buhler Centre.

Overall I’m glad that didn’t go through and instead we’re seeing more density. The area has a great feel that has only improved as more projects are completed this shows the enormous potential for residential developments in the areas around UofW.

At some point there was also rumours the university considered taking over some space at the bay building, probably unlikely unless they partnered with a developer to create a mixed use building or if they got a hefty sum of money from govt.
Either way I would love to see UofW be part of the future of the Bay’s former building.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:45 PM
surely you agree with me

I heard it was near the 140 colony building but I didn't think it was right beside it...looks alike a slice of Manhattan. I hope it is bright pink.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:40 PM

Holy density! That's the benefit of having a downtown university campus. Compare that to the golf course UofM just acquired.

It's so nice to see entirely new clusters form in just a matter of years.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:59 PM

It's funny you mention the southwood lands at U of M. There is also a report in that same meeting link. They have a plan laid out for development. Mixed use, up to 25 storey towers. Looks like they're try to focus the densest, urban area on 2 streets nearest the existing campus.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...01207(RM)PD-11

PS. There is a lot packed into that one Agenda.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:14 PM

Wow this is absolutely fantastic – I really hope it's white to complete our little sliver of the arctic. Incredible density right across from U of W. This is becoming one of the best urban campuses in Canada, and it's only going to keep getting better.

Wonder if this growth might push UWCRC to finish the Downtown Commons (phase 2) fairly soon if there's lots of demand for space there.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:31 PM

^ Even though that area around Downtown Commons is linked to the U of W, it doesn't really feel like it's part of the campus. I guess Colony Square's presence doesn't help in that regard. But it would be nice to somehow integrate that area into the campus a little more.

What is the plan for phase 2 of Downtown Commons? I seem to recall there was a plan to build up a podium on the existing structure, but is there supposed to be a second building?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:31 PM

^You remember correctly, the building was designed up on stilts like that so they could build out a big podium in the future when needed. I don't think anything is in the works, but that option is always there.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 8:02 PM

This all fits into the scenario in my head where the CBC moves outta their dinosaur of a building and becomes an anchor tenant of the redeveloped Bay or Portage Place and then that land gets gobbled up by the U of W for a nice campus-integrated project

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 8:02 PM

I wonder if UWCRC is prepared to take on the mother of all downtown megaprojects -- redevelopment of the Hudsons Bay building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan