HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 8:39 AM

Potential sites for Halifax's first skyscraper

When I say 'skyscraper' I reference the definition via wikipedia. "A skyscraper is a continuously habitable high-rise building that has over 40 floors and is taller than approximately 150 m."

Once Fenwick tower is done being redeveloped and renamed 'the vuze' it'll stand 106 meters high with 35 floors.

The planned Maristella or tower 1 on king's wharf will stand 103 meters high with the latest proposal.

I feel the best possible sites to build our first, or multiple highrise towers of 150 meters high would be the parking lot occupying the block between Dresden Row and Birmingham Street.

Another great site would be the parking lot behind the new library along Queen street and Morris street.

If I had the means to make it happen, I'd construct something a hybrid between the shard tower in London, and the Lotte tower is Seoul. 150 meters, on the Dresden row site.

And a 150 meter high tower very similar to the Absolute world tower in Mississauga.

I want Halifax to be the Beast in the East of Canada

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 1:26 PM
Volatile Pacivist

The VG parking lot at South Park and South St., one of the Forum parking lots on Windsor or the Sobeys Mumford parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
The VG parking lot at South Park and South St., one of the Forum parking lots on Windsor or the Sobeys Mumford parking lot.
A lot of the huge parking lot grocery stores that they were looking to convert would make great options. Barrington St, Young Street, etc.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolteN View Post
I feel the best possible sites to build our first, or multiple highrise towers of 150 meters high would be the parking lot occupying the block between Dresden Row and Birmingham Street.
It's not a parking lot anymore. I think they're up to 9 floors poured now. It's going to me similar to the Marry-Ann, but hopefully with better finish materials.

I'd say Cogswell lands are the place for a skyscraper, and then the Canada Post lands whenever they eventually get redeveloped.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 7:11 PM

My vote:
The empty parking lot between Bishop's Landing and NS Power. I know there was another project slated for this lot (looked like a cruise ship?), but it would be cool to have an actual tower reaching for the skies just at the waterfront, to welcome incoming ships and keep the skyline interesting - plus, being at lower elevation, I can't see it interfering with the viewplanes so much (it's also in line with Maritime Centre from the Citadel vantagepoint).

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 10:54 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
A lot of the huge parking lot grocery stores that they were looking to convert would make great options. Barrington St, Young Street, etc.
I only focused on those sites since they wouldn't have a lot of shadowing issues with neighbouring residential areas. When areas to the north, NE, and NW of a site are mainly commercial (Mumford site), industrial/institutional (Windsor site) or stuff such as the cemetery north of the VG, it's less likely to negatively affect adjacent residents.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 1:27 AM

The Dennis Building re-development should be allowed to do something special if they restore and incorporated it into the tower. HRM By Design was a godsend to kick start construction downtown but needs to be adjusted over time to reflect the needs of the city. Especially with Viewplanes 2.0 otherwise known as the Centre Plan we will need something to break up the table top effect that's already evident.

The sad thing about this thread is that the real answer is nowhere. There will be nowhere this size of a building will be approved after the Centre Plan is implemented, the legal cost would bankrupt the developer before it started.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 2:49 AM

I feel like the most likely site (not necessarily the best) would be the around the Young/Robie intersection. Lots of empty lots and underdeveloped areas along with fewer affluent NIMBY neighbours than anywhere further south. Could be a very well developed area with improved transit downtown.

The entire VG site is going to be interesting in approx 10 years or whenever it is demolished. No better location but a lot of neighbours with competing interests and a former "institutional" use.

I think my preference would be Cogswell - could be a postcard worthy landmark on par with Purdy's. Of course, I have no idea what the actual economics of these situations would be

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
The Dennis Building re-development should be allowed to do something special if they restore and incorporated it into the tower. HRM By Design was a godsend to kick start construction downtown but needs to be adjusted over time to reflect the needs of the city. Especially with Viewplanes 2.0 otherwise known as the Centre Plan we will need something to break up the table top effect that's already evident.

The sad thing about this thread is that the real answer is nowhere. There will be nowhere this size of a building will be approved after the Centre Plan is implemented, the legal cost would bankrupt the developer before it started.
I had the privilege of talking with a handful of developers and politicians, it's not entirely them that are against development. Many developers feel that if zoning allowed, The standard of tall buildings would be in the ballpark of 100 meters like the tallest existing tower is now. When I asked about a proper skyscraper, many said the demand is there. But would the system allow it? As in it's not money stopping them from building towers over 30 floors. I hope the centre will at least allow taller buildings than what exist now. I'm not explicitly against the tabletop effect from street level. But there is nothing to break up the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 4:40 PM

One idea I have been imagining is a cluster of modern towers constructed on sites in a diagonal line thru the grid in the downtown area. I'd say five to six towers with a 8 floor podium with a nice facade for the street, and angled curved modern towers with white steel & glass with bronze accents to reflect sunlight. In the range of 33 to 55 floors. 115 - 200 meters tall. As a one time exception to the centre plan, and we build up the existing planned corridors of Robie, Quinpool, SGR etc.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolteN View Post
One idea I have been imagining is a cluster of modern towers constructed on sites in a diagonal line thru the grid in the downtown area. I'd say five to six towers with a 8 floor podium with a nice facade for the street, and angled curved modern towers with white steel & glass with bronze accents to reflect sunlight. In the range of 33 to 55 floors. 115 - 200 meters tall. As a one time exception to the centre plan, and we build up the existing planned corridors of Robie, Quinpool, SGR etc.
An idea in the larger master plan concept, would be to start in the South End / Waterfront with medium blue glass buildings. The heights in the area would grow up towards SGR area with white effects near the top of the buildings, crashing up against a cluster of 100-150 m buildings. You could the have the tallest 200 m in the center, having a spire that is shaped similar to a lighthouse. The end result would a city that looks like waves crashing against a rocky lighthouse coastline. It might be a too cliche but play to your strengths, right?

Last edited by TheNovaScotian; Aug 2, 2020 at 8:41 PM. Reason: punctuation

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
An idea in the larger master plan concept, would be to start in the South End / Waterfront with medium blue glass buildings. The heights in the area would grow up towards SGR area with white effects near the top of the buildings, crashing up against a cluster of 100-150 m buildings. You could the have the tallest 200 m in the center, having a spire that is shaped similar to a lighthouse. The end result would a city that looks like waves crashing against a rocky lighthouse coastline. It might be a too cliche but play to your strengths, right?
This would be another concept that could give Halifax a very distinct skyline imagine taking vancouverism but adding some eastern spice to it. Whether the perceived towers mimic waves crashing on a lighthouse, or resemble the silhouette of a tallship. If money was not an issue, I'd pull a why not both? Give Halifax that tallship skyline while Dartmouth builds a cluster of dense towers resembling the light house, the highlight could be along the sawmill river the city has been wanting to daylight forever.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 5:45 AM

I've always thought that the Windsor/Kempt area could be a good option or some tall buildings, especially if the DND could consolidate a bit down to their waterfront areas

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
I've always thought that the Windsor/Kempt area could be a good option or some tall buildings, especially if the DND could consolidate a bit down to their waterfront areas
DND is at Windsor and Willow Park for the long haul. Probably at least the next 100 years. The Fleet School is still at Windsor Park and with the rebuilding of your Navy it will be a busy place. Willow Park has already had the addition of the Land vehicle maintenance garage and the new addition of the Armory for
three Army Reserve units. Not going anywhere.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 3:51 PM

Lots of great ideas here. Shame Halifax is so scared of tall buildings. Maybe some day?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 9:32 PM
Cap the Cut!

I doubt that we'll ever see a super-tall on the peninusla so, at least from the Dartmouth perspective, a tabletop downtown is likely to always exist. It could happen that a more impressive view of downtown may evolve from the perspective of the mouth of the harbour looking northward across the downtown and capturing towers on the higher elevation of the north end.

I'd like to see supertalls in the Darthmouth cove area or Windmill Road area of Burnside.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 10:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It depends on the vantage point but even the Almon or Young area blends in with downtown from some angles and it's at a somewhat higher elevation point. I think even a building like the main tower at Richmond Yards may affect the tabletop feel somewhat.

The taller Dartmouth towers will also change the feel a lot. The visual focus won't be on downtown so much.

Not sure why 40+ storey towers (more or less whatever would be economically viable) aren't permitted around Young Street. Often people will reply that they are too dense but you can have a 40 storey tower instead of 2x20 storey with the same population. It might even be more desirable to have a taller tower in the middle of a large site with shorter buildings around the periphery.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 6:58 PM

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 12:25 AM

while i think halifax is a long ways from having a 40+ skyscraper, I do think densification will continue with 20 -25 range high rises (30 max). One spot I would like to see a double-set high rise is in the NSCAD spot. I really like the RBC glass building across the street with the old street level preserved. It would be nice if the exact same building were to rise in the NSCAD spot, only say about 28 storeys

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 3:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jor D View Post
while i think halifax is a long ways from having a 40+ skyscraper, I do think densification will continue with 20 -25 range high rises (30 max).
7177 Quinpool is supposed to be 32 floors and the Richmond Yards tower will be 30. I think the tallest approved King's Wharf tower is 36 or so (120 m). Fenwick is 33.

I think a developer could propose 40 and it would be economically viable (the property market being much hotter today than it was back when the now under construction 30+ towers were approved) but the municipality would have to allow it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues