HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton cyclists to get a lift on buses up Beckett Drive, Kenilworth Access

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...lworth-access/

Hamilton's year-old program allowing cyclists to take the bus up the James Street Mountain Access for free has become so successful that the city will make it permanent and add two other access routes for cyclists to use.

The Mountain Climber pilot program has seen a "healthy but not overwhelming number of users," minimal impact to transit operations and a positive response from cyclists, staff stated, adding that it has lost only about $600 in revenue.

The program allows cyclists to board buses at designated stops on James Mountain Road/West 5th Cut for a free ride up or down the escarpment.

Staff recommended at the June 4 public works committee meeting that the program continue on the James Street Mountain access, and that it be expanded for cyclists to take a bus up the Kenilworth Access and Beckett Drive. Both do not have paved shoulders and there are no planned cycling lanes for the roads.

It will cost the city about $2,100 in capital expenditures for the two new pilot programs and it is projected transit will lose about $600 in revenue for each new climber program.

"I'm delighted to see the climber pilot extended to the Kenilworth Access for a very small amount coming out of the department budget," Mountain Coun. Tom Jackson said. "I think it will have a tremendous success."

Ward 4 Coun. Sam Merulla also applauded the program's expansion. He said all cyclists, and not just those using Hamilton Bike Share's blue bikes, should be accommodated by the program.

"It is something that is unique and has received national attention," Merulla said. "We could look at other accesses, including going into the Stoney Creek area."

Mountain Coun. Terry Whitehead said he's also pleased with the program but it is concerned it's limited.

He said students attending Mohawk College are using the program to get up the escarpment. But he said the problem with the climber is there is space on the rack to handle only two bicycles.

"There are limitations," Whitehead said. "If you have four people waiting, you are not having access to the system. But it is a start."

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:47 PM

Speaking of bikes, I used both the Cannon St and Bay St bicycle lanes the other day and they were fantastic!

I used the SoBi bikes as well, and the white ones are perfect, the blue ones need to be replaced, badly, and they only have 3 gears, vs the white with 8 gears.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Not to derail the thread, but Cannon will still be open, but only to cars. 2 lanes on the North side while they pave the south side, then the opposite. Westbound lanes are being reduced by 3 when they add LRT, but they can't even reduce it by 2 while Cannon gets repaved. It shows Hamilton isn't serious about cycling infrastructure that they don't even have an official detour route planned.
I'm not sure of the scheduling but if the south side is being done first with the two north side lanes (including the parking lane) being used for cars and the cycle track is getting concrete curbs then how will cars be using two lanes after the south side is complete?
I don't expect you to know the answer but I'll use whatever lane I want, which more than likely means avoiding most of Cannon and the angry drivers. Unfortunately, the best cycling culture-shift that could be made rests in the hands of drivers. I don't see that changing.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 3:42 AM

From Joey Coleman on twitter at 6pm

Council votes 13-1 in favour of allowing @SobiHamilton to purchase electric assist bikes, and to add them to Hamilton Bike Share.

Only @TerryWhitehead opposed.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 4:19 AM

Cannon Street cycle track website is live. Not too sure how long it's been up. https://www.hamilton.ca/cannonstimprovements

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 7:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Company running Hamilton's SoBi bike share program is pulling out as of June 1

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/sobi-1.5575614

The company that runs Hamilton's SoBi bike share program plans to stop offering the service as of June 1, says a new memo at Hamilton city hall.

Social Bicycles LLC, which is owned by Uber Inc., will stop offering the service over the next two weeks, said Jason Thorne, general manager of planning and economic development, in an email to councillors Monday.

The move comes after the company signed a one-year contract extension with the city, which wouldn't end until Feb. 19, 2021. The city owns the bicycles and stations, which it purchased with a Metrolinx grant, but Social Bicycles LLC runs the service through an operating agreement.

The city, Thorne said, is "seeking clarification on their position and reminding them of their contractual obligations to the city." Thorne and his staff will discuss it more at a May 20 council meeting.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:46 PM

Those fuckers just charged me an annual membership last month.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 1:12 PM

It seems disappointing that council seems willing to shut it down, as it seems good value for the money.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 1:58 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Thorne is powerless. These bikes will be moved to a city garage in June. If it was profitable someone would take it over.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Those fuckers just charged me an annual membership last month.
They charged me for my annual membership this past Sunday (17th), which was after they informed the city about shutting down but before this was made public.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 8:14 PM

Well, RIP Sobi, I guess.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:46 PM

Looks like Sobi might live with a McNally Foundation grant.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 10:42 PM

Claremont Access (aka Keddy Access Trail) is one of my most anticipated projects in the city. It should go a long way in growing support for active transportation in both the upper and lower city. It is scheduled to start construction within the month. So excited for this.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 10:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

E-scooter company partnered with Uber wants to set up shop in Hamilton

Matthew Van Dongen
https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...-hamilton.html

A company partnered with Uber wants to bring e-scooters to Hamilton even as the ride-hailing giant bails on running the city’s popular bike-share network.

But Lime says it is a separate company from its partner and investor, Uber, and that its e-scooter interest in Hamilton predates the threatened shutdown of SoBi bike share.

Uber recently announced it would stop running Hamilton’s bike share program June 1 despite a contract with the city through early 2021. Council is mulling legal options, but only last-minute community donations kept the network alive — at least temporarily — for 26,500 SoBi riders.

Days after Uber’s announcement, Lime registered to lobby the city’s top planning official about the “development and deployment of a micromobility system in Hamilton.”

Kick-style electric scooters are now allowed under a pilot program in Ontario — but only in cities that sanction and regulate their use. E-scooters are billed as eco-friendly and affordable, but disability advocates warn the speedy, silent devices can be dangerous to blind and deaf residents on the sidewalk.

Hamilton council likely won’t vote on whether to allow e-scooters until the fall.

Uber and Lime started out as competitors in the ‘micromobility’ rental industry — which includes traditional bicycles, e-bikes and scooters — but the two are now linked as business partners and via repeated multimillion-dollar investments.

That includes an $85-million Uber investment May 7. As part of the deal, Uber also transferred most of its bike-share operations to Lime — but not Hamilton’s network, which it decided to shut down. You can use the Uber app to rent bikes and e-scooters run by Lime.

Industry media reported the deal also gives the ride-hailing giant the option of buying Lime outright in 2022.

Lime government relations director Sam Sadle signed on to Hamilton’s lobbyist registry May 22 with the intention of talking to the top city planner about starting a local e-scooter business.

Sadle said he could not comment publicly about Lime’s plans in advance of speaking to the city.

But a Lime spokesperson said Uber is an investor in the company, not an owner. Lime also registered a year ago to lobby Hamilton councillors about the potential of e-scooters once it became apparent Ontario was preparing to allow the technology.

The Spectator asked if Lime’s business proposal would require city funding or other support and whether the fate of the bike share network is linked to the company’s e-scooter plans. The company did not answer those questions.

General manager of planning Jason Thorne said he has not met with Lime and city staff are focused on finding a new long-term bike-share operator via an planned request for proposals.

Councillors reached by The Spectator said they would be wary of any request to partner again with Uber or an affiliated company, but they did not rule out the prospect of allowing legal e-scooters in Hamilton.

Coun. Chad Collins said he would want to know “more about the relationship” between Lime and its investor if the company is seeking exclusivity or a contract with the city. “Would it mean we’re essentially welcoming back Uber after they left us holding the bag on SoBi?”

Coun. Jason Farr also said he would be leery about proposals from an “Uber-affiliated” company, but added he is not familiar with Lime’s ownership or plans.

The downtown councillor said he is “generally supportive” of the idea of legal e-scooters and added he would be interested in seeing one company offer both bike-sharing and e-scooter options.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:51 PM

Exciting news here! What's all scheduled to be built in 2020, other than the Keddy Trail?

source: Jason Thornes social media

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 10:32 PM

[QUOTE=johnnyhamont;8948830]Exciting news here! What's all scheduled to be built in 2020, other than the Keddy Trail?

I recall hearing the Hunter st connection was to be built this year. I don't remember where i read that. It is the natural extension of the Keddy Trail so this is huge imo.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 11:40 PM

[QUOTE=Crapht;8949338]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Exciting news here! What's all scheduled to be built in 2020, other than the Keddy Trail?

I recall hearing the Hunter st connection was to be built this year. I don't remember where i read that. It is the natural extension of the Keddy Trail so this is huge imo.
They are listed in this document from the March cycling committee:

https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings...umentId=219836

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 3:20 PM

[QUOTE=Innsertnamehere;8949399]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post

They are listed in this document from the March cycling committee:

https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings...umentId=219836
Great to see that they're studying Frances Avenue in Stoney Creek this year. A number of local residents utilize this road to access Centennial Park, and cyclists along the Waterfront trail. It currently has an incomplete sidewalk network and small portion of unmarked MUT that creates a dangerous environment given the amount of industrial traffic heading off the service road to cross the QEW.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 12:21 AM
Forever forward.

Keddy Access Trail on the Claremont Access:

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:31 PM
Ham-burgher

Upbound lanes of Claremont Access and new Keddy Access Trail to open Friday afternoon

The upbound lanes of the Claremont Access and the new Keddy Access Trail will officially open on Friday afternoon.

The city confirmed the news in a media release on Monday afternoon after months of construction.

The repairs on the Claremont Access included resurfacing, minor bridge deck repairs, a new pedestrian signal between Southam Park, the James Street Escarpment stairs and the Keddy Access Trail.

"The completion of this project will expand travel options among residents and will provide much-needed connectivity between the lower city and mountain," Mayor Fred Eisenberger said.

Keddy Access Trail
While the gate in front of the Keddy Access trail will be open, the city doesn't want anyone to use it until all signage, pavement markings and other safety measures has been fully installed.

The trail stretches from Hunter Street to West 5th Street. It has an entry point at Hunter Street and the Claremont Access. It also has four side connections with three-metre wide asphalt trails at:
- West Avenue (near Wellington Street).
- St Joseph's Drive.
- North and south sides of Arkledun Avenue/Jolley Cut.
- Tanner Street through Southam Park.

Full story:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...iday-1.5822366

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure