HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Site prep to begin within the next 18 months, employee numbers will pass from 375 to 700. Several different department will be incorporated, NRC, fisheries, agriculture....
If NRC is being incorporated into this new building, I wonder if the current NRC building on the UdeM campus will be repurposed, or will it be maintained?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:03 PM

I know why it's being built where it is. Just too bad it couldn't have been built in that big vacant hole in the middle of the city off Millennium and Vaughn Harvey. Would have looked great there.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 1:04 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

City of Moncton press release:

Quote:
April 12, 2021

Residential development continues to drive building permit activity in 2021

MONCTON, NB – The total value of building permits in the City of Moncton for the first quarter ending March 31st came in at $25.5 million, up slightly from $22.5 million during the same period last year. These values were represented by 176 permits (121 last year).

Residential building permits saw 3-month totals up 52% to $20.3 million, led by a new $9.8 million apartment building with 75 units on Mountain Road in the City’s North End. Duplex construction also remains strong with 46 new units valued at $6.5 million.

Commercial activity represented just 8 per cent of the quarter’s total, coming in at $2.1 million.

Institutional permits accounted for $2.3 million or 9 per cent of the quarter’s activity, with much of that coming from a renovation project at the Dr.-Georges-L.-Dumont hospital.

“We continue to focus our efforts on residential activity, given the exceptional demand for housing throughout the pandemic”, said Kevin Silliker, Director of Economic Development, adding that “the City continues to work closely with builders and developers; the project pipeline remains strong for the remainder of 2021 with several ventures in the advanced planning stage.”
I wonder if one of those projects in the "advanced planning stages" is the rumoured Lafford Realty project at the old Co-op site...……

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Agenda for the April meeting of the Moncton PAC

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/pac/PAC...u_jour_CCU.pdf

Note nothing on here regarding the mystery development on the former Co-op property in downtown Moncton.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 5:35 PM

New Walmart Distribution Centre

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...865916879.html

New 221 000sqft Walmart Distribution Centre to be built in Moncton.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 1:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky17 View Post
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...865916879.html

New 221 000sqft Walmart Distribution Centre to be built in Moncton.
Welcome to the forums!

If you are unfamiliar with the way things are organized around here, there are multiple Moncton threads, generally organized as such:

- neighbourhood specific threads (eg - [Moncton] Northwest, [Moncton] Riverview)
- project specific threads (eg - [Moncton] St. Bernard Square, [Moncton] Junction Urban Village)
- topic specific threads (eg - [Moncton] Retail, [Moncton] Active Transportation.

Since the WalMart Distribution Centre is going to be built in the Caledonia Industrial Park, this topic is being discussed in the {Moncton] East neighbourhood thread.

The generic [Moncton] Project Thread is where you will find posts dealing with more general issues affecting the city. There is no harm of course in posting in this thread if you are unsure where to place your post, but you might find a more lively discussion if you place your post in the proper thread.

Again, welcome to the forums!

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 3:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Pump House Brewery moving on to bigger things!

https://huddle.today/pump-house-brew...e-netherlands/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 12:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Is it common for it to be so quiet in the summer? Could lumber prices be finally taking its toll? I guess it’s not really summer yet, but seems awfully quiet lately.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 1:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Is it common for it to be so quiet in the summer? Could lumber prices be finally taking its toll? I guess it’s not really summer yet, but seems awfully quiet lately.
This month was quiet, but this year has not (20 Record Street, St. Bernard Square, 51 Highfield Street, amongst others).

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 1:53 AM

Red face

Quote:
This month was quiet, but this year has not (20 Record Street, St. Bernard Square, 51 Highfield Street, amongst others).
Yes that is definitely true, I’m excited to see all of those projects. I guess we have been getting so much good news lately, when you have a quiet month it’s like woah haha.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 3:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

By my reckoning, there are now six proper tower cranes in Moncton. I believe this is a record.

- 2430 Mountain Road (currently being erected)
- 2265 Mountain Road
- Lady Ada Boulevard
- Tannery Place North
- 66 Weldon Street
- 49 Nathalie (Dieppe)

More tower cranes are on the way (especially 20 Record and St Bernard Square, but there will be others). Some of the current tower cranes however will be coming down later this year. Nevertheless, could we see 8-10 concurrent tower cranes in Moncton next year???

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 3:41 AM

Quote:
By my reckoning, there are now six proper tower cranes in Moncton. I believe this is a record.

- 2430 Mountain Road (currently being erected)
- 2265 Mountain Road
- Lady Ada Boulevard
- Tannery Place North
- 66 Weldon Street
- 49 Nathalie (Dieppe)

More tower cranes are on the way (especially 20 Record and St Bernard Square, but there will be others). Some of the current tower cranes however will be coming down later this year. Nevertheless, could we see 8-10 concurrent tower cranes in Moncton next year???
At 10 floors, if Thrive starts The Current that would be another one.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 10:54 AM

There could potentially be more on some of the other thrive projects in the north end and in Riverview. Exciting times for metro Moncton!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 3:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From MLA Greg Turner's Facebook page:

Quote:
Sixty-Bed Nursing Home To Be Built In Moncton !

I was pleased to join Minister Bruce Fitch and Ernie Steeves , along with MLA Wilson as we announced a new nursing home for Moncton . Our provincial government announced today that Shannex has been selected to buiid and manage a 60-bed nursing home in Moncton .

“For several years . Shannex has been an important partner in our efforts to provide high-quality services to seniors , ‘ said Social Development Minister Bruce Fitch . “ this new nursing home in Moncton will be an importany asset to help meet the increased demand to our aging population .

the site of the new nursng home has not been confirmed yet . The development will be consistent with the continuum of care model and will offer a full campus with Parkland retirement living options in addition to the nursing home . Construction will start next summer , and opening should take place in 2023 .
There were a couple of included images from the announcement, including this one:

The image is not particularly enlightening, but Turner's post did mention that this nursing home will be part of a larger Shannex "campus", so the final facility will likely be similar to the Faubourg de Mascaret on the UdeM lands on Morton Ave, or to the Shannex Parkland on Coverdale Road in Riverview.

Shannex did propose a major campus on LJR Blvd within the "Vision Lands" 4-5 years back, including a couple of 12-15 storey towers, but this proposal collapsed when Costco decided to build on Granite Drive rather than part of a larger phase two of Mapleton Crossing. The loss of Costco meant that the financial model used to justify the larger development was no longer tenable.

Could the new Shannex facility be built as part of the resurrected "Mapleton Park Place" that Thrive is proposing for the western part of the Vision Lands? Time will tell. Could the new Shannex facility again include 12-15 storey towers? Maybe, but I'm kinda expecting something along the lines of a Faubourg clone with six storey buildings. It will be interesting to keep an eye on this proposal as it moves forward.......

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 4:55 PM

Is my memory failing me, or didn't Shannex originally plan to build one last building at the Fauxbourg before calling it a day?
I thought they had one more building to construct, identical to the others, but will stand corrected if I dreamed it or was misinformed. There is ample room there for another residence, if they so choose to build the newly announced place there.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Is my memory failing me, or didn't Shannex originally plan to build one last building at the Fauxbourg before calling it a day?
I thought they had one more building to construct, identical to the others, but will stand corrected if I dreamed it or was misinformed. There is ample room there for another residence, if they so choose to build the newly announced place there.
Yes, there is space at the Faubourg for two more buildings.

The Faubourg de Mascaret however has an explicit mandate to house and treat only francophone residents, and is affiliated with UdeM to serve as a teaching facility for their health care programs.

I see no mention of this in this news release, and I am pretty sure we are talking about an entirely new campus for the broader Moncton population.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 18, 2021 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 12:51 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The T&T has a picture showing the site plan for the proposed new Shannex facility:

No clue in this photo where this new facility is going to be built, although it appears to be in a newer residential area.

This appears to be a standard Shannex type development, about the same size as the Faubourg du Mascaret. Six buildings total.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 10:58 AM
real estate blogger

I see a clue. If you follow the inside curve of Wheeler Boulevard, .......

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 11:04 AM

They have a site plan, but say they have no site LOL.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces