HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Architecture can't "become" dated... it is a picture of the era in which it was built. This was a good example of 1980s postmodernism.
I beg to differ-- It was always a mediocre example of Post-Modernism. Bad architecture can age, not everything is universally good. Although time does tend to lessen the blow of the mediocre.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:07 PM

¿Por que no los dos? The building itself was great and the interesting roof added a lot to the skyline. But the base was horrendous and a reflection of the anti-pedestrian design of the time.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:28 PM

Well since I can't seem to find its thread here's an update on Margaritaville downtown.

pics by me.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:35 PM

Nice pics!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
I beg to differ-- It was always a mediocre example of Post-Modernism. Bad architecture can age, not everything is universally good. Although time does tend to lessen the blow of the mediocre.
We can disagree on it's quality of architecture... but I don't think that architecture itself ages... a design can be dated upon arrival, but once something is built in a style, it's a representation of that style... the style can fall out of favor, but it doesn't "age."

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
Yeah, I would not say the quality of new construction is any better than Atlanta on average. Both have a lot of too-big shitbox bland apartment complexes, with a fair number of decent smaller scale infill projects (SFH, duplexes, townhomes) and some very nice mid-rises and highrises in the core.

If you want to look for places with much higher design standards across the board, you've generally got to look at areas that are also much more expensive, like New York. And even then, the quality of new builds in L.A. or Oakland isn't better than Atlanta. It's really a nationwide problem at the moment.
A more expensive city is not necessary for high quality design. Less expensive cities, such as Chicago and Minneapolis, manage to get consistently high quality developments.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
We can disagree on it's quality of architecture... but I don't think that architecture itself ages... a design can be dated upon arrival, but once something is built in a style, it's a representation of that style... the style can fall out of favor, but it doesn't "age."
Then it becomes a debate over style versus functionality. The aesthetics of the style can be subjective, but the function...i.e., the current base, and how anti pedestrian and dated it is, can almost be universally agreed upon.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Dated is certainly a loaded word, I agree-- I never considered the building to be a very good example of any style. Not terrible mind you, just not great-- The base treatment was very suburban reflecting the time that it was built-- the addition promised a better streetscape at least-- but no one seems to be sure what is going on. I think we can all agree that demolishing the façade of the first 7 or 8 floors and then doing nothing is not very good for anyone--

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
A more expensive city is not necessary for high quality design. Less expensive cities, such as Chicago and Minneapolis, manage to get consistently high quality developments.
It is true that the more expensive a place is to build in the better the quality of the architecture in general-- Chicago has always been a city that is about architecture for cultural and historical reasons-- it is also more expensive to build there than Atlanta. In general, the design quality has steadily improved in Atlanta, with some occasional notable exceptions. The city is bigger, more sophisticated than it was-- and that helps. Are we were we should be?-- No but a bit closer than before--

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
It is true that the more expensive a place is to build in the better the quality of the architecture in general-- Chicago has always been a city that is about architecture for cultural and historical reasons-- it is also more expensive to build there than Atlanta. In general, the design quality has steadily improved in Atlanta, with some occasional notable exceptions. The city is bigger, more sophisticated than it was-- and that helps. Are we were we should be?-- No but a bit closer than before--
I agree with you. The design quality has steadily been increasing and that is encouraging. This is definitely an exciting time for the city, even during the pandemic.

Last edited by NYbyWAYofGA; Dec 10, 2020 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 7:38 PM

Daiquiri Factory is finally coming down to make room for the Cousins tower in Midtown.

pic is mine.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
Daiquiri Factory is finally coming down to make room for the Cousins tower in Midtown.
pic is mine.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 8:18 PM

Quote:

pic is mine.
Thank you !!!

More progress pictures PLEASE !!!!!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 8:26 PM

The Midtown development map still lists it as proposed. They better not demolish the buildings and let it sit for while.

EDIT: The development map is from December 2020 as well.

Last edited by Sura; Dec 9, 2020 at 8:26 PM. Reason: Clarity

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:

pic is mine.
What a nice surprise!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
The Midtown development map still lists it as proposed. They better not demolish the buildings and let it sit for while.

EDIT: The development map is from December 2020 as well.
Well the alternative is to leave the buildings sitting vacant and fenced off. So I'll take the demolition and site prep, even if there's no imminent construction.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 2:07 PM

Here is a wider shot taken a little later in the day.

pic is mine.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 2:58 PM

I'm shook, when they put up that fancier fence I figured it was dead on arrival.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 6:27 PM
i ain't no bubba

At the risk of throwing cold water on the party, the demo work could be happening to reduce the liability of having a vacant building sit through the winter and/or to reduced taxes they would have when it is an 'unimproved' piece of land.

Last edited by (four 0 four); Dec 10, 2020 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
At the risk of throwing cold water on the party, the demo work could be happening to reduce the liability of having a vacant building sit through the winter and/or to reduced taxes they would have when it is an 'unimproved' piece of land.

Around noon today, the old non profit dental clinic building at the alley was being torn down. Gold and Silver/former Cleaners corner building down (with bundled debri) and Daiquiri Factory building (with bundled debri) all demolished now.

Likely 901 West Peachtree at corner of 8th and West Peachtree next.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations