HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

520 West 41 Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 12:56 AM

To put it into perspective. This tower will be as high as present 432 Park which core just reached 1,100ft.

ILNY

Last edited by ILNY; Jul 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 1:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
And why is there so much retail? No offense but I don't see a big store setting up shop here in the foreseeable future.
Actually, there should be more retail when you consider where this is being built, in a forest of large-scale residential towers, and the residential neighborhoods to the north. Related is building far more retail at the southern end of Hudson Yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
I'm more impressed by height than the total number of floors.
I agree that height is more impressive than total number of floors. It's the height that makes a building visible on the skyline, particularly in a city like New York where there are so many.

BTW, Silverstein's anticipated construction period for this one is from 2017-2020. Related anticipates 50 HY to begin in 2017 as well. So that gives a little room for construction updates, there's already so much ongoing and on deck.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 4:19 AM

Damn, very good. The height for this place is amazing.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 5:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by reencharles View Post
Damn, very good. The height for this place is amazing.
Yeah, and I don't mind the boxiness here at all. It's 1,100 ft of sheer skyscraper.

As I mentioned earlier, this won't be the ultr-luxury skyscraper like the towers planned along 57th Street. Here's a comparison to those towers, and what they have planned:

One57........................92 / 65
432 Park Avenue..........125
520 Park Avenue..........39
Nordstrom...................233
111 W. 57th................61
Tower Verre................180
220 CPS.....................160

520 W 41...................1,400

As you can see, 520 W 41 has more than all of those other towers combined. It will probably have more "affordable" units than some of those towers have total units.

I believe Silverstein will get his approval to allow more residential space over office space, and he makes his case as follows...

Though some features could change, the tower would basically be in the form it is for reasons given below...

The affordable housing component...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 1:04 PM

love.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 2:27 PM
Resident Moron

How much money would it cost to build out the 7 subway stop there?

As I recall they bored out the room needed to build the station, just none of the budget for platforms/access etc correct?

May be in Larry and partnering buildings best interest to finish it out.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 4:13 PM

Boring design. I dont really understand what is so interesting about a 1100 foot glass box. At least 432 isnt just glass.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
How much money would it cost to build out the 7 subway stop there?
For the paltry pricetag of $̶1̶.̶5̶ ̶B̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶ $450 million, it would happen. Also, if work were started today, it would be ready to recieve paying paying customers as soon as ̶2̶0̶2̶8̶ 2020!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 5:33 PM
BANNED

If this makes it to construction as is it would be my new favorite tower under construction. The design isn't so great, it's just that it's nice to finally see a supertall that might actually have residences for people who aren't CEOs. I'm sure they will still be out of my price range, but at at least it's not like a lot of these other towers where it's one unit per floor.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 5:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael12374 View Post
Boring design. I dont really understand what is so interesting about a 1100 foot glass box. At least 432 isnt just glass.
Economical. It costs a lot to have a radical design and to construct it. In New York, boxes work. But, we tend hate a lot of projects that are boxes, and then when they are built, we love them. IMO, the design looks neat, and it works. The height alone will be enough for it to be considered an iconic skyscraper/supertall. Simplicity works architecturally.

Although on the bright side, we are getting a lot of other projects which are not boxes. Something to be cheerful about.

What I do like about this project, and the many others that are going up or being planned is that it will add more vibrancy to an area of Manhattan that is not as busy. Its busy by the typical U.S. city standards, but not for NY. New residents will breath even more life into this area. Especially the HY project.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 7:11 PM

Great news!! The FAR of the site is proposed to be raised to 12x from 6x. 12x is the maximum amount allowed under state law. However, Mayor de Blasio's housing plan formally asks the state to lift the limit. Hopefully we see some action out of Albany soon...

I'm so happy to learn about this development. 432 Park provides 90 something housing units, this development will provide housing for over a thousand people and is a much better use of precious land.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 7:31 PM

Note: AIUI, YIMBY's calling this rendering "preliminary"; so be prepared JIC for some minor tweakage.

EDIT: My digesting the information on this tower's ultimate raison d'être somehOw makes me want to take back the previous statement. If economics is driving this tower primarily to solve a longer term affordable housing issue, I really wouldn't mind if this end up looking like Trump World Tower on steroids.

This will indeed be a game changer...but I still hope they can at least add some sort of architectural element that breaks the visual monotony.

Last edited by JayPro; Jul 1, 2014 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 3:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Note: AIUI, YIMBY's calling this rendering "preliminary"; so be prepared JIC for some minor tweakage.

That's whey this is highlighted....

But don't expect anything much different in form. Silverstein's reasoning for such a design is described above (earlier post) in his reasoning for why more residential space is preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Economical. It costs a lot to have a radical design and to construct it. In New York, boxes work. But, we tend hate a lot of projects that are boxes, and then when they are built, we love them.
I don't want to get into a whole thing on New York design (that's a different issue). But there is a reason why the city restricts skyscrapers to the grid, why all those canyons exists. That's not an issue in most places.

As far as this tower goes, Silverstein isn't going to create smaller floorplates at the top for 2 and 3 level full-floor penhouses. He's not looking for that market. Look around at the towers that are going up and have gone up in the immediate area. Silverstein is putting out a product. It's not going to be a flashy design to attract the most wealthy. It's going to reflect exactly what it is, and I at least don't have a problem with that. We have seen a lot of complaints about the billionaire towers, some even here on this board. But this tower won't be that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Great news!! The FAR of the site is proposed to be raised to 12x from 6x. 12x is the maximum amount allowed under state law. However, Mayor de Blasio's housing plan formally asks the state to lift the limit. Hopefully we see some action out of Albany soon...

The FAR for the site is 20. As with all of the commercial towers planned at the Hudson Yards, there is a percentage allowed for residential development. That is why 3 Hudson might possibly be topped with residential space. It's also how Brookfield is allowed to build a residential tower at Manhattan West - it falls within the percentage (expressed in FAR) or ratio of residential space allowed on site.

This site currently has a residential FAR of 6, but by doubling it to 12, the development would turn predominantly residential. That would leave the commercial component with an FAR of 8 (someone asked why there was so much commercial space).

Meanwhile, even the NIMBYs are softening, because the area needs the development...

http://www.amny.com/news/developers-...side-1.8632270

NYC's largest residential skyscraper proposed for West Side

By IVAN PEREIRA
July 1, 2014

Quote:
A skyscraper proposed for the revamped west side would be the largest residential tower this city's every seen if it gets the go-ahead.

Silverstein Properties, the developer behind the new World Trade Center, introduced early plans to the Department of City Planning last week to build an 1,100-foot mixed skyscraper between 41st and 40th Streets and 10th and 11th Avenues

Robert Benfatto, the district manager for Manhattan's Community Board 4, which oversees the area, said the neighborhood is generally excited about the energy the skyscraper would bring to the area, which is already being reshaped by the Hudson Yards development further south.

"We like the fact that it will be developed because now that space is just an empty lot," he said.

City Planning is currently reviewing Silverstein's "draft scope of work" and the public will be able to comment about the proposal in a meeting on July 31. Several parties, including the community board and borough president's office, can give recommendations on the plan, but it needs approval from City Planning, the City Council and the mayor.

The mayor's office didn't messages for comment.

According to the proposal, the tower would include 475,000 square feet of commercial space, a public green space and 1,400 residential apartments. There will be affordable housing units, but the number and details for those apartments has yet to be determined.

"A high quality mixed-use project on this site will make the area around the Lincoln Tunnel entrance a lot more people-friendly, with dynamic retail, amenities, new public space and a pedestrian-oriented streetscape," Dara McQuillan, a spokesman for Silverstein Properties said in a statement.

Silverstein Properties has a tentative 2017 start for construction and 2020 completion date for the tower, which falls inside the Hudson Yards Zoning area. No architect has been named.

Benfatto said the board looked over the draft a few weeks ago and some members had concerns about the height of the building but overall liked the current scope of work.

"We hope that it fits in with the area and the retail is beneficial not only for the people visiting but also those who live in the area," he said.

Andrew Dolkart, a professor at Columbia University's Graduate School of Architecture, agreed.

Dolkart, who is a staunch opponent to One57 and the other skyscrapers that are being constructed in midtown due to the massive shadows they cast on the neighborhood, said the West Side is the perfect place for such tall structures such as the skyscrapers under construction at the main Hudson Yards site at 34th Street and 11th Avenue.

"It is a relatively undeveloped area," he said. "The idea of Hudson Yards was to create a dense tall urban neighborhood."

Dolkart added that Silverstein already has two towers on West 42nd Street and they fit the changing neighborhood well. He said the city and community should have long and deep discussions with Silverstein to make sure everyone gets the best out of the development.

"A lot depends on the design. [Big skyscrapers] can be really beautiful or bad depending on the look and use in the neighborhood," he said.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 10:37 AM

We've seen this before. Silverstein purposely as for pie-in-the-sky # of floors and height knowing he will have to negotiate that down. The mayor and his crew will then ask for a larger share of affordable units and we'll end up with a shorter, crappier tower.

Also, this won't happen until at least 2017. So much can and will change before that.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
We've seen this before. Silverstein purposely as for pie-in-the-sky # of floors and height knowing he will have to negotiate that down. The mayor and his crew will then ask for a larger share of affordable units and we'll end up with a shorter, crappier tower.
I don't think the scenario you've described has ever happened, not even once. It's totally counterintuitive, as the city loses leverage and doesn't get what it wants.

If DeBlasio wants more affordable housing, then obviously the building will have to be as big as possible. A smaller building means less affordable housing. In fact, Silverstein can build an enormous building right now, with no affordable housing.

An example of what I'm describing happened with the Domino site in Williamsburg. The buildings grew in order to accomodate the subsidized housing interest groups.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 1:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
If DeBlasio wants more affordable housing, then obviously the building will have to be as big as possible. A smaller building means less affordable housing. In fact, Silverstein can build an enormous building right now, with no affordable housing.
Right, the exact number of affordable housing units aren't set yet, but they're talking maybe the usual 20% or so. De Blasio could increase the amount of affordable housing
by increasing the residential FAR on site, even beyond what Silverstein is looking for.

But you are exactly right, a smaller building would yield less affordable housing, not more.

I'm sure Silverstein would probably prefer building a 2-towered development, but for reasons discuss above, that isn't the most feasible. Silverstein's Silver Towers, which is nearby,
contains roughly the same amount of units as this one will.

Read the description for that one...

http://luxuryrentalsmanhattan.com/bu...FdBi7AodIAIAbg

Quote:
Silver Towers North & South Tower
620 West 42nd Street | Midtown West

Silver Towers is one of the largest luxury rental development in New York City, but it's also among the most ambitious. The two 60-story glass towers at 42nd Street and 11th Avenue do more than redefine the Manhattan skyline -- Silver Towers does that, too, but it also defines its neighborhood, and helps to cement Hudson Yards as one of Manhattan's hottest new neighborhoods.

With a spectacular slate of amenities few luxury rental listings in Manhattan can match and spacious, gracious rental apartments that match condo-quality finishes with stunning panoramic views, Silver Towers ranks among the finest rental listings in Midtown West -- and stands among the finest luxury rentals in Manhattan, period.

The apartments for rent at Silver Towers display an attention to detail, a sophisticated aesthetic approach and high-end finishes more common in luxury condominiums than rental apartments. The available flats range in size from studios to three-bedrooms, from lofts to penthouse apartments, but each apartment for rent at Silver Towers displays a uniform dedication to top-quality finishes and fixtures. The kitchens in each Silver Towers rental apartment are finished with cabinets of Zebrano and Wenge wood-grain laminate and aluminum-framed silk glass, engineered stone countertops and porcelain tile backsplashes, and boast high-end stainless-steel appliances from Fisher & Paykel, LG and Bosch. Bathrooms have a sleek, minimal design with porcelain tile floors and walls, Kohler bath fixtures, and a custom marble vanity. Bosch washer/dryer units in each apartment for rent add extra convenience, while the oversized windows admit stunning Manhattan views and plenty of natural light.

The amenities on offer at Silver Towers are every bit as impressive as the apartments for rent, and offer a scope and scale of luxury few Manhattan rentals even begin to approach. From 40,000 square feet of retail to a lush public park and lovingly landscaped indoor courtyard, from the 75-foot indoor pool to the meticulously maintained bocce ball court, Silver Towers is like a city unto itself -- albeit one that just happens to be located at an instantly recognizable Midtown Manhattan address.

I expect this development will be more of the same.

JULY 1, 2014

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 3:00 PM
New Yorker for life

http://manhattan.ny1.com/content/new...for-west-side/

Tallest Residential Tower in U.S. Planned for West Side

July 2, 2014
By: NY1 News

Quote:
The developer behind the city's tallest tower, 1 World Trade Center, is now proposing the nation's largest residential tower.

Standing at 1,100 feet tall, the tower proposed by developer Larry Silverstein would be located at 520 West 41st Street.The building will boast more floors than any other building in the city standing at 106 stories compared to the city's tallest tower, 1 World Trade, which stands at 104 stories.

According to a draft environmental-impact statement, Silverstein’s glass-draped tower would have approximately 1,400 apartment buildings with 208 affordable units.It would also include 175,000 square feet of office space, and 300,000 square feet of retail.If approved, construction is slated to begin in 2017, with completion expected by 2020.

They never get it right.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 5:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

It hurts to read. Dam media...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 8:22 PM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2014/07/02/larry-s...artment-tower/

Larry Silverstein to build city’s tallest apartment tower

By Leonard Greene
July 2, 2014

Quote:
The developer behind Manhattan’s Freedom Tower is pushing a mammoth West Side project that would be the largest residential building in the nation, according to a new proposal.

With more floors and more units than any building in New York, the skyscraper would dominate Manhattan’s West Side and appease affordable-housing advocates.

Although Larry Silverstein’s legacy is already cemented with his 1 World Trade Center signature tower, the developer would build on it with a city record-setting 106 floors and 1,400 apartments.

According to a draft environmental-impact statement, Silverstein’s square, glass-draped tower at 520 W. 41st St. would stand 1,100 feet tall.

New York’s tallest building is the 104-floor 1 WTC, an office building that stands at 1,776 feet, including its spire. It is followed by the Empire State Building, at 1,250 feet, and the Bank of America Tower near Bryant Park at 1,200 feet.

The proposed building would also include 175,000 square feet set aside for corporate apartments, as well as 1.14 million square feet of residential space.
The plan calls for 280 apartments to be affordable units.

The proposal appears to ignore some community requests to scale back the height of the building.

Members of Manhattan’s Community Board 4 also emphasized that the building’s affordable- housing units “must be evenly distributed in location and type throughout the building and contain an equal level of apartment finish and equal and affordable access to all building amenities.”
I hope Silverstein plans to firmly announce a "fk that" to these annoying people.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 10:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I hope Silverstein plans to firmly announce a "fk that" to these annoying people.
How can people even be crazy enough to ASK for that? Do they honestly think there is a way to put an apartment up 100 floors and have it still be affordable? A broom closet with a window on the 100th floor of a building would probably be worth a million dollars just for the view.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals