HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 8:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

[Moncton] Junction Urban Village | Mixed Residential Commercial Urban Development

The consensus is that the time has arisen for the Junction Urban Village to have it's own official thread.

Location - SW corner of Main & Vaughan Harvey.

Components:

1) - GoodLife Fitness (already constructed)
2) - Tannery Place South (six storey apartment building with ground floor commercial/retail, construction imminent)
3) - Tannery Place North (six storey apartment building with ground floor commercial/retail, planned)
4) - Home 2 Suites by Hilton (six storey hotel, planned)
5) - Unnamed office building (corner of Main & Vaughan Harvey, no additional details, planned)

Websites:

https://www.junctionurbanvillage.com
https://www.tanneryplace.com

Video:

Site Plan:

Overview (a little outdated)

Renders:

There, you guys have your new thread. Enjoy!

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 1:02 AM

On my way home I drive right by this property. This evening, for the first time, I saw a piece of heavy equipment on site. Great to have this development finally get going.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 2:00 AM

it would nice if someone could post a picture of the semi empty lot and then we can watch this development grow.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 2:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A couple of more images I found online, showing the sort of street front presence expected from Tannery Place South.

Between the two Tannery Place buildings, and the Home 2 Suites by Hilton, there will be a pretty solid six storey street front presence facing on Vaughan Harvey directly across from the Sobeys plaza. The look of this neighbourhood will be entirely different and much more urban in 5-6 years time.

The image below shows the two Tannery Place buildings as seen from behind:

And since the GoodLife Building is part of the Junction Urban Village, I thought we should include an image of it too.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 4:44 PM

I heard Vaughn MacLellan being interviewed on Buzz Local some time ago now. He stated that the businesses on the ground level of Tannery Place will have 500-700 gym patrons driving right by them every day! Potential customers.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 5:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And over 200 tenants in the Tannery buildings at build-out, as well as potentially another couple of hundred hotel patrons at the Home 2 Suites.

This would be helpful in attracting a convenience store type business and/or a coffee shop. It's also a very prominent street corner, and I could see a restaurant setting up shop too, which would further help to drive customers for even more additional businesses.........

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And over 200 tenants in the Tannery buildings at build-out, as well as potentially another couple of hundred hotel patrons at the Home 2 Suites.

This would be helpful in attracting a convenience store type business and/or a coffee shop. It's also a very prominent street corner, and I could see a restaurant setting up shop too, which would further help to drive customers for even more additional businesses.........
And the hundreds of people who daily go to the businesses just across Vaughan Harvey.
And once 1222 Main Street gets developed, coupled with 1234 Main there will be hundreds more within walking a short distance.
I agree a coffee shop would do well, maybe a Starbucks?

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 3:19 AM

Couple of screen captures from a drone video I did last year.

In the video below, the Junction Urban Village scene starts at 1:00, second half of the 2 minute video. Might as well watch the whole thing. Enjoy!

Video Link

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 3:22 PM

Upon entering the Junction Urban Village property, Ivan Rand Drive curves to the left (south). There is no access to the northern portion of the property when entering off of Vaughn Harvey. Nor does there seem to be any likelihood that there will be access from Ivan Rand as there is a sidewalk along the north side of the street. I wonder what the plans are for access to the section where the Tannery Place buildings will be.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Upon entering the Junction Urban Village property, Ivan Rand Drive curves to the left (south). There is no access to the northern portion of the property when entering off of Vaughn Harvey. Nor does there seem to be any likelihood that there will be access from Ivan Rand as there is a sidewalk along the north side of the street. I wonder what the plans are for access to the section where the Tannery Place buildings will be.
8:15 AM today, several workers and a few trucks on site. 6:30 PM construction fence has been erected and more heavy equipment situated.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:28 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
They will undoubted cut the curb and remove the sidewalk to create access at some point in the future.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The proposed office building on the Main/Vaughan Harvey corner of the Junction Urban Village I assume will look a lot like the E=MC2 building on the opposite corner, but hopefully taller. To maintain architectural consistency with the remainder of the development, this building should be at least six stories tall. Anything shorter would look very much out of place.........

The image below shows an artists conception of what the office building might look like, but this is only purely speculative.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
They will undoubted cut the curb and remove the sidewalk to create access at some point in the future.
That makes sense. You'd have thought that they would have left room to do that when they built the road originally. I also wonder if in the future, they can somehow get through from Main Street.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:49 AM

A few blocks of sidewalk is trivial to remove and adjust once the project is complete. And considering the timelines they are working with, the sidewalk might be due for replacement by then anyway.

As far as potential customers go, there is also the new RCMP HQ going almost across the road from it too, which will certainly drive traffic to that area.

That area is going to quickly transform from a boring basically unnoticable neighbourhood to the entrance to Moncton downtown.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
The proposed office building on the Main/Vaughan Harvey corner of the Junction Urban Village I assume will look a lot like the E=MC2 building on the opposite corner, but hopefully taller. To maintain architectural consistency with the remainder of the development, this building should be at least six stories tall. Anything shorter would look very much out of place.........

The image below shows an artists conception of what the office building might look like, but this is only purely speculative.

There was a report recently showing that the vacancy rates for office space in Moncton has dropped substantially. This bodes well for new commercial office space development.

The artists rendering shows an office building on the corner that appears to be at least six stories tall and being at the end of a row of buildings within the development it absolutely should be a minimum of six stories. A building facing Main Street that would be shorter, would definitely look out of place.

The survey by real estate company Turner Drake & Partners is the kind of information developers use in making decisions to pursue these projects.

It's good to see the Junction Urban Village progressing after being delayed. If you're a member of the gym who goes to events at the Avenir center or who works downtown, Tannery Place would be an excellent location to live. Walking distance to a great deal of amenities.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 1:01 AM

Driving by the site on my way home tonight, I see that it's now looking like a busy construction site. I saw a lot more heavy machinery, porta-potties, trailers, and a dumpster. Also a large excavation has started with a couple of big piles of dirt visible. I noticed they have dug down quite deep. The building includes underground parking. It will be interesting to watch the construction progressing over the coming months.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:30 AM

Quote:
That makes sense. You'd have thought that they would have left room to do that when they built the road originally. I also wonder if in the future, they can somehow get through from Main Street.

You can see from this image the two entrances, the main entrance from Ivan Rand drive and the Main st entrance (with no exits).

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 1:49 PM

There is an Ivan Rand Drive farther west on Main St. by the Honda dealership. Cushman & Wakefield Atlantic has a 17 acre development lot for sale at this location. $2.4 million. The property listing on their web-site says: "Future connection through the new Junction Urban Village development project." This would open up a large amount of land for development once the new road is constructed.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 1:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
There is an Ivan Rand Drive farther west on Main St. by the Honda dealership. Cushman & Wakefield Atlantic has a 17 acre development lot for sale at this location. $2.4 million. The property listing on their web-site says: "Future connection through the new Junction Urban Village development project." This would open up a large amount of land for development once the new road is constructed.
Indeed. This should be a good approximation for the final routing of Ivan Rand drive:

Downtown Moncton will likely continue a slow progression westward to the final terminus of Ivan Rand at West Main by the Honda dealership. It's hard to know what this land will be marketed for. It's currently industrial, and soil contamination could be an issue. I don't imagine it will remain industrial. Low density commercial (like car dealerships) is possible, but I suspect at least some of the land (the east end) will be destined for high density residential. Only time will tell.

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 17, 2019 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Indeed. This should be a good approximation for the final routing of Ivan Rand drive:

Downtown Moncton will likely continue a slow progression westward to the final terminus of Ivan Rand at West Main by the Honda dealership. It's hard to know what this land will be marketed for. It's currently industrial, and soil contamination could be an issue. I don't imagine it will remain industrial. Low density commercial (like car dealerships) is possible, but I suspect at least some of the land (the east end) will be destined for high density residential. Only time will tell.
Mixed use residential and commercial would make sense. It would be an attractive location along the new Ivan Rand Drive as it will lead to the Vaughan Harvey corner, bringing you right to a lot of amenities. I agree it will be a slow progression westward. There is a lot of under developed land and it will be interesting to watch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces