HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 6:19 PM

Hey everybody!!

I have one question: How can i fotograph my SketchUp city? I want to put it in this forum.

Ok thanx for answers

The CrazyBurj

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 8:36 PM

set up the seen that you want in the pic>file>export>2d graphic>upload to photo hosting site [photobucket.com, imageshack.com, etc.]>copy and past in to post

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 3:31 AM

how do i get my textures to line up on each side?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 7:06 AM

try reversing the faces and reapplying? or just copy that once ace and put it on all 4 sides.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 9:49 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Make each face a component/group. Open it and move the face around until desired location is found.Close group, select one of the corners and move it to original location.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 1:34 AM
Squint Like Clint

Hey guys, I am just starting to use Sketchup for the first time. I have built my main tower shell but want to add some more floors to it. I have been highlighting the tower and then using the move button to move it vertical on the blue axis and then type in the desired height. It goes up to the desired height okay but it jacks up the tower on the green and/or red axis (even on the ground at times) and distorts the tower in various places off those axis. What am I doing wrong? Is there an easier way to do this? Your help would be appreciated.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 1:40 AM

could you maybe post a pic, i'm not sure i understand what you mean?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 9:11 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffaso View Post
Hey guys, I am just starting to use Sketchup for the first time. I have built my main tower shell but want to add some more floors to it. I have been highlighting the tower and then using the move button to move it vertical on the blue axis and then type in the desired height. It goes up to the desired height okay but it jacks up the tower on the green and/or red axis (even on the ground at times) and distorts the tower in various places off those axis. What am I doing wrong? Is there an easier way to do this? Your help would be appreciated.
Don't know why it does this. So you say you raise it on the blue axis, then it randomly moves on the other axes ás well? The only thing I think is you may be moving the mouse while typing in the numbers.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 11:54 PM
Squint Like Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Don't know why it does this. So you say you raise it on the blue axis, then it randomly moves on the other axes ás well? The only thing I think is you may be moving the mouse while typing in the numbers.
For some reason I can't get it to move on the blue axis alone. When I try to raise the tower on the blue axis it also moves it on other axis (mostly green) and distorts the whole model. What's really weird is that earlier in the model I added some floors to the main tower with no problem. Since then I have completed a lot of detail on the tower (windows, etc.) and every operation in Skethcup is now slower, there's a couple of seconds of delay after every operation (even drawing a line) so maybe that's messing me up on the move tool as well???? All I'm trying to do is add another floor to the podium, so far with no success. Any ideas would be appreciated, I'm really getting frustrated.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 3:44 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

As soon as it's moving on the blue axis press and hold shift. That will lock it to that axis.
Yes the detail in the model is causing that. Use layers to hide some of your model that you're not currently working on.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 5:58 PM
Squint Like Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
As soon as it's moving on the blue axis press and hold shift. That will lock it to that axis.
Yes the detail in the model is causing that. Use layers to hide some of your model that you're not currently working on.
Thanks! I will certainly try that.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 8:46 PM
Squint Like Clint

I have another question. I have a single door in my Sketchup model (the one already pre-loaded in the components section). Anyway, I want to reverse the way the door swings. When I use the rotate tool and rotate it 180 degrees it just turns the door to open inside instead of outside. When I rotate 360 it of course goes back to its original orientation. Is there a way to just flip the component in the opposite direction so it opens to the left instead of to the right while still swinging to the outside?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 8:53 PM

You can simply select the entire object, (door, door frame,etc.) then right click >flip along>red or green axis, depending on which axis you have it on.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 9:26 PM
Squint Like Clint

Thanks, that fixed me up!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 7:56 PM
Squint Like Clint

Hey guys, I have another brief question. I have a customized color in one model I want to transfer to another sketchup model's paint menu. When I right click on the color and select "export texture image" it just wants to download it to other files on my computer, no sketchup models even show up as an option. Is there a way to do this? I know it's probably simple and I'm just overlooking something. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:03 PM

you should just be able to open both SU files (the one with the color and the one you want the color to export to) then open the materials/coloring tab/window, what ever its called, then use the eyedropper tool click over the color you want, finally go to the other file without closing the materials and the color should have stayed in the tab outlined in red

now you can just color it using that color

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:23 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Thanks treras, you're really helpful to new Sketchup users.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:43 PM

well i try

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:46 PM
Squint Like Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by treras93 View Post
you should just be able to open both SU files (the one with the color and the one you want the color to export to) then open the materials/coloring tab/window, what ever its called, then use the eyedropper tool click over the color you want, finally go to the other file without closing the materials and the color should have stayed in the tab outlined in red

now you can just color it using that color
I guess I'm still not doing it right, I couldn't get it to transfer over. Your instructions appear to be for a Mac and I have a PC (my paint bucket window looks different), so maybe that's the difference? Even so, I still tried opening both models like you said, clicking on the paint bucket icon in the PC version and also the "sample paint" icon but I couldn't get either to transfer the custom color over to the other model. I'm probably doing just one little thing wrong..LOL. Any other ideas?? And BTW, I do very much appreciate your on-going help, like Aleks0o01 said above, you are always quick to reply to questions and very helpful to new SU users like me!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:51 PM

well you're welcome, sorry but i guess it is different for macs, sorry again i hope someone else will help

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup