HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:13 PM

New apartment project in Downtown Scottsdale begins construction

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...cy-scottsdale/

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:35 AM

More info on the Museum Square site - There was a compromise with neighbors and its approved. 150' height - and sounds like 3-4 buildings. Hope it all gets built - especially after arguing with idiots on Next-door about the big proposal along the canal. (Anyone else in Scottsdale on Next-door wanna join in on that chain? Its special... )

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ed/4012663002/

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 2:00 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
(Anyone else in Scottsdale on Next-door wanna join in on that chain? Its special... )
I closed my Next Door account after realizing that NIMBYs gonna NIMBY no matter what I say.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I closed my Next Door account after realizing that NIMBYs gonna NIMBY no matter what I say.
Its gotten to the point where they are convinced I'm one of two other people that evidently support the issue. They can't get it through their heads that someone not related to the project may actually appreciate it and approve of this type of growth.

I did garner some support though - but I thought Facebook was bad, Nextdoor takes it to a whole new level...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 5:10 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Its gotten to the point where they are convinced I'm one of two other people that evidently support the issue. They can't get it through their heads that someone not related to the project may actually appreciate it and approve of this type of growth.

I did garner some support though - but I thought Facebook was bad, Nextdoor takes it to a whole new level...
Nextdoor is terrible. All it is is a bunch of nosy neighbors that take pictures and report if you walk down the sidewalk wrong. I've also had my fair share of urban arguments with NYMBY's. Still have my account, but only for sale stuff that gets posted and the occasional actual crime that may have been committed in a neighborhood. Other than that, I pretty much ignore 95% of the posts.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 8:13 PM

Anyone by chance know when demolition of the Papago plaza begins? I drive by ever so often and see large bins filled with debris from the inside but no heavy machinery on site. Over a month ago an article was posted it was "imminent"

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 3:53 PM

I know they extended the fencing but there are businesses still operating on the south side of the complex....maybe they are waiting for their lease to end?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 3:58 PM

I drove by yesterday and noticed one of the businesses packing up and moving out boxes into a moving truck. Definitely some progress being made.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 4:05 PM

Skysong 6 to start construction in Q1 of 2020. Love the building design and cant wait to see this on the hard corner of Scottsdale & McDowell.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 4:06 PM
Modulator

^^^
Looks good!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:23 PM

Scottsdale Canopy Hotel Tops out. Cool rendering in the article.

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...in-scottsdale/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:50 PM
Skyriser

I'm surprised Davis pulled that crap off. I get this vaguely sheriff's office and detention center vibe more than hotel.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:38 PM

Article on Southbridge Two with renderings: https://www.scottsdale.org/city_news...803433607.html

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:43 PM
Skyriser

The only thing somebody in a one-story building downtown should be complaining about is the lack of general plan. What a mess. That PAC blows my mind.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:47 PM

^ It doesn't blow mine, unfortunately. It's a promising sign for Downtown Scottsdale that developers are willing to fight these maniacs.

This will go the way of Museum Square and the Marquee office building; endless moaning about a great project that eventually gets approval. I understand concerns about height, but these people act like these aren't well thought out, expensive projects that will drastically improve the area.

David Ortega seems like a real gem. He helped get this mural axed, which I heard will be moved to a new location somewhere in Phoenix: https://www.scottsdale.org/news/mcca...0280a1864.html

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:30 PM

Eh. If Old Town doesn't want the height and developments, then I'm sure downtown Phoenix and Tempe will happily take their millions of investment dollars with open arms.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Eh. If Old Town doesn't want the height and developments, then I'm sure downtown Phoenix and Tempe will happily take their millions of investment dollars with open arms.
Scottsdale does not need height, i'd rather it didnt get any.

Tempe and Phoenix should be the focus, even add height to Chandler, Mesa and Glendale.

Scottsdale? Its a high end suburban area and restaurant/shopping district. It does not want nor need high rise condos.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Scottsdale? Its a high end suburban area and restaurant/shopping district. It does not want nor need high rise condos.
Optima seems to be doing pretty well and the Waterfront condo's trade for up to $1,000 per foot (a lot). Seems to be the senior citizens that don't want height/change.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Optima seems to be doing pretty well and the Waterfront condo's trade for up to $1,000 per foot (a lot). Seems to be the senior citizens that don't want height/change.
Optima is hardly a high rise, and I have always thought that the waterfront towers looked out of place.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 5:33 PM

I am confused because I thought the City approved Southbridge already? Plus since they approved Museum Square, the developer can make a good case as why their project should be approved as well.

I do not like the loss of the vernacular architecture in the area. I do like the idea of creating a promenade connecting the waterfront to Scottsdale Road...maybe I'll be convinced. The biz owner's concerns about the construction are valid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest