HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 5:24 PM
Realtor

update from today

I can only imagine that this confirms the absolute basement of The Grove is what you see below. From everything I can tell they are still working on site prep 7 days/week so it should start to get more interesting soon.

A few pics below from today:

http://buildingphilly.com/cira-south...ve-march-16th/

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 8:14 PM

The concrete wall that divides the site - do you suppose they will build around that? I have been waiting/hoping for it to disappear, but looking at it I am wondering if it is part of a larger hidden structure. Anyone know?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 8:24 PM
Realtor

Musicman, I would think that wall may stay as it looks like a load bearing support for the bridge and parking structure but I have no real idea. We'll know soon enough! You certainly won't see it when the building is complete either way.

I took some pics today below and was quite happy to see all the activity on the western end.

http://buildingphilly.com/cira-south...on-march-18th/

I also don't think I've seen the new Grove design inserted into the Cira South renderings before so I took a couple shots of that as well across from 1919 Market. Nice new rendering there by the way

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 8:28 PM

^^ I took a few shots of that as well the other day, looks like you beat me to it. Looks like Pile drivers are on site at the Grove. Should see some serious action starting within the next few days.

Here are the renders from the link above^^ Looks like Brandywine is pushing for the taller Cira South Office Tower design again.

Thanks for the constant updates Lincoln

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 10:00 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Looks like they renamed the old Post Office "Cira Square"... that's a helluva lot better than IRS 30th Street Campus

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 11:07 PM

I would rather see the right side of the building extend all the way up.

Also, will there be a construction cam set up for this construction. It has been fun watching the two Drexel buildings go up...

Last edited by christof; Mar 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 1:39 AM
BANNED

The Walnut Tower looks tremendous.An anchor tower.Needless to say will have Will have a dramatic effect on the skyline and UC/CC.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 2:18 AM

From the rendering, it looks like the floor-to-ceiling heights shift significantly smaller around halfway up the building. I may be reading too much into the rendering, but that suggests that office space in the base with a hotel or residential on top.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 3:58 AM

This is what Philly needs to do if it is to maintain competition with New York, as IMO the common perception at both ends of I-95 seems to be.

On the one hand, I'm happy that they trashed that BS "gentleman's agreement" that stated that no highrise in the city could exceed City Hall's peak.

OTOH, it shouldn't have taken till 1987 to see that happen. Nor should the general lack of *seriously* tall skyscraper construction activity, compared to other cities, be construed as a sign of chagrin over that fact. I mean, whatever the reason for the iffy reception to skyscraper growth might've been over the years, I'd dare say that economic/budgetary constraints would've made for more plausible rationales, if you understand what I mean........

Not that *this* is by any means a contender to the skyline's Top Five; but I hope this is the start of bolder projects that will in time re-shape this town's atmosphere and, with it, whatever negative perceptions there continue to be.

Last edited by JayPro; Mar 19, 2013 at 4:12 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
From the rendering, it looks like the floor-to-ceiling heights shift significantly smaller around halfway up the building. I may be reading too much into the rendering, but that suggests that office space in the base with a hotel or residential on top.
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Good spot

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 8:27 PM

Lincolndrive I'll also add my thanks for the consistent updates on projects around the city!

I'm really feeling this new rendering for the Walnut Street tower. The design is sleek and it's going to have a huge impact on the skyline west of the river. Based on renderings, it looks like the Grove is going to have a fairly good urban street presence. If the Walnut Street tower does the same this development will do wonders for tying together University City and Center City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
That makes sense. The top also has a smaller floor plate which lends itself more to residential or hotel. Either way, it looks like this will still have a significant office component. Any news on prospective tenants other than U Pen?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 8:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Lincolndrive Any news on prospective tenants other than U Pen?
Urban Outfitters. Oh whats that? Liberty Property steered those 4,000 jobs down to their private money making sanctuary. The Naval Yard.

GSK you say you're hearing rumors? Nope Liberty Property took them out of Center City and built them a shiny new building.You guessed it down in the reclusive Navy Yard. Another 1,000 employees snatched away from Center City and marched down to the Navy Yard .

How does a private citizen even get into this Navy Yard? Better yet why
would anyone beside an employee want to be in that Navy Yard?

Combined office/manufacturing space in the sprawled out Navy Yard is equal to 6 Comcast Towers.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Urban Outfitters. Oh whats that? Liberty Property steered those 4,000 jobs down to their private money making sanctuary. The Naval Yard.

GSK you say you're hearing rumors? Nope Liberty Property took them out of Center City and built them a shiny new building.You guessed it down in the reclusive Navy Yard. Another 1,000 employees snatched away from Center City and marched down to the Navy Yard .

How does a private citizen even get into this Navy Yard? Better yet why
would anyone beside an employee want to be in that Navy Yard?

Combined office/manufacturing space in the sprawled out Navy Yard is equal to 6 Comcast Towers.
You really need to get over this. Having multiple business nodes is a good thing for the city.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
You really need to get over this.
JR, the dead horse beating society is alive and well in case you didn't know.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
You really need to get over this. Having multiple business nodes is a good thing for the city.
I don't think Pennsgrant is complaining so much about multiple business nodes. I never hear complaints about how say, Temple Main campus or University City Science Center drag a bunch of Ed/Med jobs out of Center City. It's more the fact the Navy Yard is really anti urban in its layout and not easily accessible to the rest of the city. If if had better urban design and access to the rest of the city I don't think you would be hearing as many complaints. Anyway, off topic.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 8:36 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Lincolndrive made these pics:
Quote:

Comments: The retaining wall is where it is because those are active train tracks beyond it. Active and busy. Part of the Grove will be built overhanging those train tracks.

It looks like pile driving has begun.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 1:18 AM

^^^ Nice! So when is this thing officially considered Under Construction?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 1:28 AM

Drove past this today--it's an incredibly tight little envelope. Under the circumstances, I think that the new design makes a lot of sense, and will fit nicely between the more abstract, amorphous shapes of the original Cira Centre and the current plan for the Walnut St. tower.

But that's just my humble opinion.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 3:11 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
^^^ Nice! So when is this thing officially considered Under Construction?
When the first caisson is installed and poured which should be any day since drilling for the first caisson has commenced.

-sb

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 2:36 PM
Realtor

http://buildingphilly.com/cira-south...ve-march-27th/

From yesterday and a new top down view.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive