HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 2:08 AM

Fort Worth, TX - Concrete & Steel Plus A Few Street Photos

I went out today to shoot some downtown construction projects and I wound up walking all over the place and eating lunch at one of the city's newest restaurants. Here's a sampling of my photos.

First Presbyterian Church Addition:

The beginnings of Cantey & Hanger Plaza (4 Story Office Building):

Caceria Building (7 Story Office Building):

City Tower (16 Stories, 169 feet, retirement residential):

The Carnegie (16 Stories, 239 feet, office):

Two City Place, formerly the Tandy Center renovation. If you look carefully, you can see they have removed the signature lights on the side of the building.

Conversion of the South Tower into residential has not begun, but here is a photo of that building so you can see how the Tandy Center looked before the renovation started.

The tallest building under construction in the city, is the new Omni Fort Worth Hotel (34 Stories and 547 feet). It will be the city's second tallest building when completed:

You can also see the construction from one of the walkways inside the Water Gardens:

Speaking of the Water Gardens, I also captured this photo:

Now, here are some random photos; unfortunately, it became mostly overcast:

Let's see, we have a choice of two country radio stations, Barnes & Noble, or a movie at the Palace Theater.

The base of The Tower is looking sharp now that all of the retail along Throckmorton Street is open. There's Texas Capital Bank, Qdoba, Potbelly Sandwich Works, and Cantina Laredo, just opening this week. I ate there to try it out and my meal was excellent.

As I was leaving, the restaurants were getting ready for the evening crowds, here are some of the sidewalk tables at Riscky's, a local barbecue place.

They were already advertising All You Can Eat Fried Catfish.

Well, that's my quick photo tour of downtown. It was a fairly short one, and it was really deserted (unusual for a Saturday afternoon). I hope you enjoyed.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 2:33 AM
Meh

Very nice. Great to see all the construction. I love Fort Worth. Gotta get back there sometime soon. Thanks for the pictures, John. Much appreciated.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 2:40 AM

You're welcome. I haven't been posting much lately because I've been working a lot of overtime. I had to get out of the office this afternoon and shoot some pictures. I regret that it got cloudy for a little bit, but I can't control the weather.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 6:14 AM
A Texan in Oklahoma

hell ya i'm presbyterian and cool mix of construction and fun stuff around downtown thread

Man i hate those Mexican jails - Storybook by Roger Creager

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 9:14 AM
Closed account

very nice shots of Dallas twin city!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 2:09 AM

We've had more scattered showers today, and for the morning and early afternoon, it was beautiful, then the rains came in. With this weather pattern, you never know how long good picture taking weather will last.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 8:06 AM
them bones

I haven't been to Ft. Worth in...13!...years! Looks like there's alot going on. Always struck me as more quaint and interesting than the Big D. The base on The Tower looks great. Certainly better than the sloped Portman disaster it was before!

BTW, that shot from the Water Gardens with the kid is fantastic.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 2:02 PM
WAR EAGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
You're welcome. I haven't been posting much lately because I've been working a lot of overtime. I had to get out of the office this afternoon and shoot some pictures. I regret that it got cloudy for a little bit, but I can't control the weather.
Do you have any pictures of the TCCD construction site?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 1:33 AM

Thanks, Plinko. I liked that shot, as well.

Dfwtiger, I did not walk over to the TCC construction site. From the river, is is basically a hole cut into the bluff with some concrete retaining walls. I should have mentioned it in the first post.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 5:10 AM
Urbis Maximus

Thanks for the photos. The Tower looks sharp, its amazing how it turned out given the beating it took a number of years ago.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 5:39 AM

John, I always look forward to your Ft Worth threads; I have a real positive image of the city, and as I have never actually been there before, this impression comes almost entirely from your photo threads.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 12:07 PM

The Tower is a real success story. The new base is much more pedestrian friendly than the old Portman design and it is really great to have all of those people living right above the shops and offices. I have been very pleased with the overall conversion of the building.

Shawn, thank you for your comments. I haven't been posting very many photos lately because I have been working a lot this year. Hopefully, at the end of August, this project will be complete and I will have more time.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 6:28 PM
Urbis Maximus

/\ Re: The Tower - It is one of the best coversion examples that I have seen. There have been a few office building conversions in Edmonton that have taken place over the past decade, but none of them come close to The Tower with regards to design, use of materials, etc.

Downtown Fort Worth is really coming around.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 6:41 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Ft. Worth... been a few years myself.

Fave memory: ordering "cafe au lait" and seeing "cafe ole" on the bill!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 1:38 AM

I did forget two construction projects. They are the new downtown campus for Tarrant County College and the conversion of the old Ramada Plaza Hotel into a Sheraton. The 1970's hotel is getting a new facade.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 3:58 AM

I hope to be out taking more photos in a few days. My work schedule is still in the overtime mode, but after the end of August, I hope to be posting more.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 4:06 AM
Dryer lint inspector

wow, FW has a great downtown. is that omni going up where that building was imploded?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:31 PM

No, there is still a gigantic 2 story hole in the ground where the Landmark Tower once stood. Everyone is wondering what is going to happen at the site. It is fenced off, but there has not been any activity on the site in months. Originally, a 50 story building was proposed for the site, but XTO Energy told everyone that the plans for the building were shelved. Other rumors have circulated that an underground parking garage with a public park on top, an above grade parking garage, or a surface lot will be constructed on the site. It has been nearly 1 1/2 years and nothing has happened, yet the company that bought the Landmark Tower has been purchasing and restoring other downtown historic buildings to assemble a corporate campus in the middle of the CBD.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:34 PM

Feeling frustration at the continued lack of updates, news, or work on the Landmark site, the staff of Fort Worthology turns to the Internet’s most powerful method of communication to ask the tough questions…

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 2:15 AM

If I can catch a break from my crazy work schedule, I will try to find out some information. However, most of the time when I have talked with XTO, I've been sworn to secrecy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos