Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 4:54 AM
Beer Stampede

Hey!! where did the pictures go??

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 8:29 PM
I like this much better

photobucket bandwidth exceeded mang.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 6:29 AM
Ex Houstonian

My bandwidth is back, so you guys can view the photos again I worked hard putting this thread together and have gone all over the state to take these pictures, Ill probably make another one in a year after I move and get back to Houston or some other big city hopefully.

Heres a few new ones from my last trip to Eureka Springs, I posted these in my other forum but Ill post em here again anyways.

Downtown Rogers, AR, home to WalMart.

Thorncrown Chapel, Eureka Springs.

This is the building the very first WalMart was in

Somewhere near Harrison.

Berryville, in northern Arkansas.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 7:15 AM
Ex Houstonian

Here are some old ones Ive never posted before, taken about a year ago from around Arkansas.

Fort Chaffee, a huge military base near Ft. Smith in west central Arkansas.

Miss Lauras Social Club, an old whore house in Ft Smith. The entire neighborhood surrounding this house burnt down during the early 1900s and this brothel was the only thing that survived and somehow its survived the 1960s and 70s and is now a museum.

A side street in downtown Ft. Smith, in extreme western Arkansas, on the border of Oklahoma.

An old church or school house near Paris in central Arkansas. Probably wont last much longer, wouldnt surprise me if its gone already.

Some pretty hardcore churches can be found while driving the back roads of the Ozarks, heres one.

Downtown Conway

The only "industry" left in the tiny almost dead town of Perry, deep in the Ouachita Mtns of central AR

Lake Maumelle, where Little Rock gets its drinking water from.

Little Rock from last weekend.

I had already posted a couple pictures of Van Buren but its such an awesome place. It is probably one of the nations best preserved and unchanged original river ferry towns from the mid to late 1800s. When you walk around Main Streen Van Buren it really feels like you are back in time. The bank building on the right of this photo is in my opinion, the states most fascinatingly beautiful building.

And to think that Russellville had a building almost identical to it back in the 1870s and during the 1980s some asshat had the bright idea to tear it and an entire blocks worth of historic buildings and replace them with a semi brutalist styled Bank of America building and a parking lot, ugh.

Last edited by photoLith; Nov 16, 2010 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 12:45 PM
Red October standing by

thanks for the new pics. when can i buy your book?

-

-fflint

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 1:27 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Same thoughts as LSyd here. When are you coming out with your book? I'd buy it!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 4:53 PM

Before I saw the last two posts, I was going to say that these photos would make for a great book on Arkansas. Beautiful pictures--great variety--you really captured the feel of the place!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 5:23 PM
Ex Houstonian

I was thinking about making a book of Arkansas at some point. Whenever you see books on this state its always the same crap, pictures of waterfalls or of fall colors. I dont think Ive ever seen a book about the states small towns, or even one on Little Rock. I dont have too many pictures of any of the towns or places in eastern Arkansas and none from north east Arkansas yet. Maybe next semester Ill make some trips that way. Im going to St. Louis and Memphis this weekend though so I can get a few pictures of eastern Arkansas then. But, yes, Ill make a book probably after I graduate and maybe start to work on it next semester.

Heres a few more.

Hope, in south western Arkansas.

Wicked being played in downtown Little Rock last weekend.

Little Rock Street Car

The capitol building

Last edited by photoLith; Nov 16, 2010 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 8:25 PM
I'm cheap

Awesome pictures. I especially like the picture of the cemetary. Excellent, excellent, excellent thread.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 12:45 AM
Endless Moments...

Very Nice. Very Middle America...

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 1:11 AM

These are really great. You should come over to Okla. sometime, before you move.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 1:19 AM

Beautiful collection.

Funny thing is, I've been to Fort Smith, and looking at a map would have figured that Van Buren was just a boring suburb. It looks like a great town.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 1:44 AM
Heavy User

Fantastic set! I have three words for you: MORE MORE MORE!

I was also wondering what people thought of Little Rock in terms of urban living. There's a small chance I may be moving there soon for work and want to know what I might be getting myself into. By the looks of the pictures its charming but what's life like on the streets?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 1:45 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
No, Van Buren was there before the town of Ft. Smith. The fort was established on the border between the Indian Territory and than the just normal territory. Van Buren was established at the same time as the fort and was a river town that survived off of ferries coming and going from the fort a little further up the river. Then eventually a town grew up around the territorial fort and this became Fort Smith. Overtime Fort Smith became more prominent than Van Buren and thats why the town is so perfectly preserved today. All the urban renewal crap of the 60s and what not was focused on Ft. Smith while Van Buren was forgotten.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 1:50 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
Fantastic set! I have three words for you: MORE MORE MORE!

I was also wondering what people thought of Little Rock in terms of urban living. There's a small chance I may be moving there soon for work and want to know what I might be getting myself into. By the looks of the pictures its charming but what's life like on the streets?
Well, downtown doesnt really have too many places to live condo tower wise. But the street car suburb, Hillcrest is a beautiful neighborhood with a few bar districts, well more like streets. Around downtown theres lots of beautiful Victorian homes but a lot of the hoods surrounding downtown are pretty hardcore and terrible places to live. Just last week when I was in Little Rock I was taking pictures in a ghetto about a quarter mile from The River Market and had to leave after I heard a few gunshots and some woman screaming bloody murder so yeah, but any major city has shitholes like that.

Main Street is trying to revive itself and a lot of the older buildings soon are going to be converted into condos. Id love to live in Little Rock, it would be about a billion times better than the podunk Im living in now. But it aint no Chicago obviously. Its more like a smaller semi nicer Memphis, or Oklahoma City. Little Rock is semi bike friendly and has an amazing bike trail that is quite extensive that follows the Arkansas River and goes over the worlds longest pedestrian bridge. Little Rock overall is a very beautiful city with lots of historic architecture left. Some of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown, minus the ghettos are probably the most scenic neighborhoods Ive seen in the country.

Downtown Little Rock though from an urban perspective is kinda lacking. A whole ton of it was torn down during urban renewal and not much has been built on the subsequent parking lots. Although, I think this will change in the future. I tend to think that one day, Little Rock could become like Austin Texas. It shares a lot of similarities with Austin. The city compared to what it was like 10 years ago is way way way better. The River Market district is always very lively but its about the only street in downtown that regularly has lots of pedestrians on it. The rest of downtown is quite dead although. But, I think any urban oriented person could be happy there. Argenta is right across the river and they have taken great strides in improving that part of the city. The historic main street of Argenta is almost all restored and lots of new urbanist infill developments are going in. I was talking with a girl that worked in a little corner grocery store in Argenta a couple months ago and she had moved from Portland. She said she loved Little Rock, so if you are moving from San Diago you should probably also enjoy it. Basically, I think Little Rock has most the stuff a very large city would have to offer, yet just 10 minutes out of downtown you can find yourself in the mountains.

Last edited by photoLith; Nov 17, 2010 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:31 AM
Heavy User

^Amazingly helpful. Thank you so much. This is above and beyond. I'll definitely take a closer look at Argenta also.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:38 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Heres a thread I made on Little Rock about a year ago or so. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=160983

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 3:40 AM

Great thread! Arkansas has allot of beauty/ugly

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:25 AM
Ex Houstonian

Theres also pictures on the last page...

Heres some I found of mine while looking through some old cds I had.

Hot Springs

Historic Washington, located in southern Arkansas. It was the state capitol during the Civil War and the original capitol is still there. The town is very well preserved and is basically the Colonial Williamsburg of Arkansas. Theres a lot of houses still within the historic state park that are from the 1830s-40s. This building is the old county courthouse and was built during the 1870s. Its a very cool place that I need to revisit.

Little Rock from 2008.

Arkansas Tech football game.

Little Blue Heron

Bill Clinton Library in downtown Little Rock

Some people living up in the Ozarks near Longpool Falls. I actually talked with that lady for a while and she grew up in NYC and somehow ended up living like this in the Ozark Mountains, pretty much as far away from civilization as possible.

Eureka Springs from 2008, maybe 2009, I cant remember.

A tiny town up in the Ozarks, dont remember its name. But it only had three houses that people still lived in. These buildings probably wont be there in another 15 or so than they will fall apart.

Casa, in central Arkansas in the Ouachita Mtns.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos