HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 2:37 PM

This building looks pretty sweet. Hopefully O.C. Haley can finally become a decent street with Central City finally becoming a decent neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 3:02 PM

Central City

I saw the work on that project the other day but forgot to post asking what it is.

Now that I've seen the renderings (thanks)....I still don't know what it is! Haha!

Is there an article or link to website or anything? I assume it's mixed use?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Where? I've never noticed any at Claiborne/Carrollton.
I have seen it at both the Carrollton and Canal location as well as Tchop location.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
I saw the work on that project the other day but forgot to post asking what it is.

Now that I've seen the renderings (thanks)....I still don't know what it is! Haha!

Is there an article or link to website or anything? I assume it's mixed use?
The link to the article is on top of the picture. It's going to be the headquarters for NORA and have 3 other commercial tenants.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yeah your coming across rude here, all I was saying is that if a store wants to open up that sells alcohol the zoning allows it. I could give two craps whether walgreens sells it or not.
My apologies. Didn't mean to come across as rude, only confused.

I didn't get what the fixation was on their ability to sell alcohol.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 7:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
My apologies. Didn't mean to come across as rude, only confused.

I didn't get what the fixation was on their ability to sell alcohol.
No problem, its just important to realize that sometimes through posting on a board people can come across different than they do in person.

This is a seperate question but does anyone know if there is a way to search for who pulls permits for construction and acutally look at the plans the city has on file?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 8:25 PM

Its great to see the development coming along on Oretha Castle Haley Blvd. I've ridden my bike down there and always though that would be the perfect area for development. So close to the warehouse district/CBD/Garden district, and if I'm not mistaken one of the few corridors in NOLA without stringent hight restrictions (don't quote me on that, you'll have to review the NOLA master-plan yourselves). I've often thought it would be great to build up fairly dense mixed use development along the corridor and extent the Loyola streetcar line down the extra half-mile or so (I'm not oblivious to the pontchartrain expressway either, it just seems like such a good idea to extend that infrastructure to central city).

Also, since this forum is dedicated to development in New Orleans I have an interesting article about Medellín, Colombia and their ability to raise their city out of a poverty and crime (Still not to US standard's, but remarkable nonetheless).

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...half_a_miracle

One more comment on a topic already discussed here. I realize that while the new shopping center off of Carrollton will be a positive economically, it is always a little disheartening when we see strip malls coming up in the city. I guess it is what it is though, although street-front stores with limited parking lots in the rear with extensive bicycle parking would have been my preferred development, I realize the market may saturated and seeking other development.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 8:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Its great to see the development coming along on Oretha Castle Haley Blvd. I've ridden my bike down there and always though that would be the perfect area for development. So close to the warehouse district/CBD/Garden district, and if I'm not mistaken one of the few corridors in NOLA without stringent hight restrictions (don't quote me on that, you'll have to review the NOLA master-plan yourselves). I've often thought it would be great to build up fairly dense mixed use development along the corridor and extent the Loyola streetcar line down the extra half-mile or so (I'm not oblivious to the pontchartrain expressway either, it just seems like such a good idea to extend that infrastructure to central city).

Also, since this forum is dedicated to development in New Orleans I have an interesting article about Medellín, Colombia and their ability to raise their city out of a poverty and crime (Still not to US standard's, but remarkable nonetheless).

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...half_a_miracle

One more comment on a topic already discussed here. I realize that while the new shopping center off of Carrollton will be a positive economically, it is always a little disheartening when we see strip malls coming up in the city. I guess it is what it is though, although street-front stores with limited parking lots in the rear with extensive bicycle parking would have been my preferred development, I realize the market may saturated and seeking other development.
definitely understand what you are saying here lets hope the final plan includes as many pedestrian friendly amenities as possible. It wont be perfect but at least it can be better than the empty land thats there and not a complete suburban sprawl ripoff.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 9:23 PM

Point being, the neighborhood doesn't want the Walgreens there. Sterling has tried to intimidate owners of surrounding businesses (I know this for a fact).

The neighborhood doesn't want it for design reasons, parking (which is a HUGE issue) and the alcohol issue. Everyone knows that zoning allows it...but again, we do not want it and we are trying to dissuade them from leaving the Tchoup store (ample parking on Tchoup, easier traffic flow on Tchoup, managable for 24 hour access if they wanted it on Tchoup)

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 11:49 PM

Hello! I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed following the conversations thus far. Changing the topic a bit--does anyone know of any development plans for the vacant parcel at St Charles and Melpomene?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 4:44 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISIS View Post
Hello! I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed following the conversations thus far. Changing the topic a bit--does anyone know of any development plans for the vacant parcel at St Charles and Melpomene?
Don't know of anything there yet and believe the parcel is still for sale. Good news is that the Audubon Hotel is being reopened and the vacant la madeline and a couple of other restaurants/bars have been leased recently.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 2:03 PM

Walgreens & Uptowners...

Why is it such a big deal?

There's Slice, St. Joe's, and Whole foods on the same block that all sell alcohol..

Also, there's a huge parking lot behind the proposed site.

And, if you look at the Walgreens further down by Breaux Mart, it doesn't look half bad.

Is there really a reason to oppose it or is it just petty uptowners (i am one)?

Last edited by IceCream; Apr 29, 2011 at 2:05 PM. Reason: Cutting my rant short

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 2:05 PM

Does anyone know what's going on at the corner of Magazine and Jackson across from the flag shop? They are putting in pilings now.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 2:17 PM

It is going to be a burger bistro thing. "Charcoals" maybe? 2 stories, don't know if a public rendering exists.

You might want to check out the "uptown messenger". Boutique news blog about the area. Had an interesting write up about the burger place and other stories.

Not diving into the walgreens issue...but I do salute the company for decent developments around town. (canal street)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 2:20 PM

i had the same question. there was always alcohol at the Walgreens where I'm from (...chicago subs); that was back in the day. you can get liquor anywhere. is this relevant? other than it is making me want a shot of whiskey (catholic, non-protestant). to go with my coffee.

Quote:

There's Slice, St. Joe's, and Whole foods on the same block that all sell alcohol..

And, if you look at the Walgreens further down by Breaux Mart, it doesn't look half bad.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 2:24 PM

Old NOCCA Building Sells!

http://www.nola.com/education/index....hased_old.html

Well, he bought it! But doesn't know what to do with it! I like that he's thinking condos ...OR a gigantic 31,000 square foot mansion.

Can I move in with you?

I also didnt realize this was the guy that redeveloped Prtyania around Creole Creamery...that's my hood!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 2:56 PM
-

Quote:

First off, stop being logical! What is the reason for everything they oppose? It must be one of the biggest NIMBY/anti-development crowds ever, yet somehow things like the Chicos strip mall get built! When you build something there the neighborhood always wants to know 'whats in it for me'? Apparently, its not enough to just own your property but you have to placate every damn neighbor and neighborhood organization too!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 3:02 PM
-

Quote:
http://www.nola.com/education/index....hased_old.html

Well, he bought it! But doesn't know what to do with it! I like that he's thinking condos ...OR a gigantic 31,000 square foot mansion.

Can I move in with you?

I also didnt realize this was the guy that redeveloped Prtyania around Creole Creamery...that's my hood!
BY the way read the article above and its another NIMBY attack! Its crazy these people hate everything. They cant just say it will be great to see an abandoned structure that is quite beautiful and historic put back into use. No its always he better follow our opinions or else.

Otherwise Great news as the Bids for the Loyola Streetcar and The New Teaching Hospital are up on bidclerk!

1572384 New Orleans, LA Roads / Highways 04/29/2011
Description PUBLIC NOTICE NEW ORLEANS REGIONAL TRANSIT AUTHORITY REQUEST FOR BID NO. 2011-008 CONSTRUCTION OF THE STREETCAR EXPANSION PROJECT FROM UNION PASSENGER TERMINAL TO CANAL STREET Notice is hereby given that the New Orleans Regional Transit Authority (RT...Click here for complete Project Details

1056719 New Orleans, LA Educational, Medical 04/28/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a medical facility in New Orleans. Working plans call for the construction of a 560,000-square-foot, 424-bed hospital, ,982-square-foot diagnostic and treatment center, 254,765-square-foot ambulatory care building, a...Click here for complete Project Details

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 3:28 PM

Its the noise and trash you get with a Walgreens...go look at pretty much all the stores, the neighborhood doesn't want the loud music and the trash in such a compact area (and again the parking...there is so much empty land in the city and everyone is piling into this one little area Uptown strip...if you live there good luck parking anywhere near your house on the weekend)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 3:58 PM

Walgreens

As much as I sympathize with those who may not like a company or product, if the owner complies with all the rules they should have freedom to proceed. We are in America for goodness sake. If it really is that much of a problem the rules should be changed, but singling out one owner or business due to personal preference isn't right and the project shouldn't be blocked unless it doesn't follow all the rules.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations