HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodha View Post
It's already been decided by Metro back in 2007 that the official name is "Expo Line". The Aqua Line was killed by Bernard Parks, and the Rose Line never saw the light of day.

Expect the next reorganization of lines to be in 2019 when the Connector opens. Just recently, on the Metro Source it was commented from Metro officials that the line references will change. Expo Line will be the name until 2019..after that I can see Expo going away and we only having the Blue and Gold light rail lines going through downtown (outside of Red and Purple subway lines)
My memory is hazy, but I don't think that's exactly right. IIRC they had a meeting to decide on a color. They couldn't agree, but agreed to call it the Expo Line Transit Corridor (or something like that) until they picked a color at some point in the future. They never abandoned picking a color AFAIK.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
London's system works just fine with names, New York's works just fine with a number and letter system. For me the naming convention is not nearly as important as getting a working, comprehensive, and usable rail mass transit system in place. Once we have that, we can worry about how/what to name the lines.
IMO colors work better than numbers which work better than letters which are better than names. But colors are limited because once you get more than 6 or 7 lines people are going to have trouble distinguishing between the colors. Sometimes "aqua" looks more green and sometimes more blue. Tourists already get confused between the gold and green lines on the map (the Metro/Metrolink confusion is much worse). And then you have "off limit" colors for PC reasons. Don't expect a black, white, or brown line in LA. The yellow line in Atlanta was declared offensive by the Asian community and they had to change the name. I say that we go to numbers and keep the same colors on the maps for a more visual distinction.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 9:30 PM

I still think that colors work best because of the way they jump out to you visually. So far we have Red, Blue, Gold, Green, Orange, Purple. That still leaves room for Silver, Pink, Pearl (white), Grey (black), Aqua. I'd like to think that there are enough "brown" people distributed in the entire metro area that no one would be offended by a Brown Line connecting any two points.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 10:31 PM

^ Just name it Copper or Bronze.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
^ Just name it Copper or Bronze.
But then we might offend sunbathers.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 11:31 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
But then we might offend sunbathers.
Not to mention the penny and The Bronze Age.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 7:03 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Oops! Sorry guys, my post about the 101 Cap park should have gone into the Downtown LA thread. That's what I get for posting after a 13-hour work day. That post and all replies have been moved to the Downtown thread.

Carry on.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 1:55 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Vermont and 5th Construction, Meet Bisnow

By Dakota
April 22, 2010

KOREATOWN: "Any info on the construction at the old Chevy dealership?" writes a reader. If we're reading the info on the Building Department's web site correctly, it looks like a three-story retail building is on its way. There's the old Google street view shot of the dealership. [Curbed InBox]

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodha View Post
It's already been decided by Metro back in 2007 that the official name is "Expo Line". The Aqua Line was killed by Bernard Parks, and the Rose Line never saw the light of day.

Expect the next reorganization of lines to be in 2019 when the Connector opens. Just recently, on the Metro Source it was commented from Metro officials that the line references will change. Expo Line will be the name until 2019..after that I can see Expo going away and we only having the Blue and Gold light rail lines going through downtown (outside of Red and Purple subway lines)

Wrong.

Looks like Metro will be renaming Expo Line with a color line soon.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...olor_issue.php

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 5:12 AM

The Century

how is this ultra luxury limestone phallus looking these days?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 5:20 AM
Ascension

It's still there looking nice last I checked.

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 8:12 AM
Good Grief

The W Hollywood Hotel and Residences

I recently stayed at the W on a Saturday when I was invited to the Magic Castle (that place is a trip, but that’s another story). The W was packed and there was line of people that just wanted to get into the lobby. At night the lobby looks the same as it does in the day, but they crank the music and everybody’s just hanging out. I would say the place is an instant hit.

While the lobby is huge and seems to cover the entire ground floor, the hotel rooms only takes up a small portion of the structure. I was surprised to learn that out of the entire block that was under construction; only the tower highlighted below is hotel. The rest is residential.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Yeah, it sounds like the place to be these days. A couple of weeks ago I tried to make reservations for a graduation dinner at the W's Mediterranean restaurant for this coming Friday and it was full (we are going to Geisha House instead).

And, of course, Drai's is hot.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 12:00 AM

Thanks DTCB for posting that! I had no idea the hotel portion was that small compared to the rest of the project. In any case, I am hoping that the market improves in the near future so that BLVD6200 will start construction. It is a damn shame that the W Hotel sits next to a butt-ass ugly parking lot like that.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 5:06 AM

Haven't heard about this one in a while:

Quote:
LA supervisors approve rules for hearings on Universal Studios

By Troy Anderson, Staff Writer

Posted: 05/11/2010 09:30:53 PM PDT
Updated: 05/11/2010 09:35:49 PM PDT

The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to approve an agreement with the city of Los Angeles that clarifies details about upcoming public hearings regarding the $3 billion makeover of Universal Studios.

The move will help determine how the hearings will be held, such as whether the county and city will hold separate or joint hearings, and who will conduct them, County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky said.

The action comes as city and county officials are preparing the environmental impact report for the project.

"I continue to have serious concerns about the scope of the project, both the one on the campus of Universal Studios, as well as the project related to the studio on the MTA site across the street," Yaroslavsky said.

Over the next two decades, the studio plans to redevelop its 391-acre property into an environmentally sustainable theme park, business and entertainment industry hub with more than 2,900 new apartments and condos, 35 acres of open space, a 500-room hotel and a refurbished amphitheater, said Sorin Alexanrian, a deputy director with the county Department of Regional Planning.

The new Universal complex will include expanded studio production facilities, new office space, shops and a renovated Universal CityWalk and Universal Studios Hollywood theme park.

The project application includes a request that the city annex about 76 acres of the property in order to build the new residential development. In unincorporated parts of the county, the project includes a request for a new hotel and a plan to govern the operations of the existing studio, theme park and Universal City Walk.

Executives at the San Fernando Valley's largest employer expect the project to create 12,000 new jobs, $2 billion in local spending and $26 million in new tax revenues each year for the city and county.

The project calls for roads to ferry traffic off congested Barham Boulevard and other traffic improvements, but some residents fear the project will increase congestion in the area.

Universal Studios spokeswoman Cindy Gardner said the studio is investing $100 million to improve traffic flow and "serve as a catalyst to accelerate local, regional and freeway improvements in the Valley."

"It also includes new shuttle services targeted to 50 percent of the trips by studio and business employees and residents within a five-mile radius of our property," Gardner said.
Source: http://www.dailynews.com/ci_15065702?source=email

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 4:36 PM
BANNED

We are likely to hear a lot more rhetoric about traffic than it warrants. They're adding 2900 units over 20 years. This is immaterial as compared to general growth in the valley and basin over that period.

I wonder if some transit between Universal Red Line, Burbank, Disney campus, Brand and continuing to DT LA makes any sense? Only about 10 miles and there are real employment and entertainment destinations at each end.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 6:55 PM

I think the fact that a subway stop is across the street, as well as bus service and multiple freeway off rammps should automatically qualify the project to not spend a dime on traffic mitigation. They will invest 100 million in roads that will always be crammed. That could go to improving the development. Or maybe a railway of sorts to bring people from the subway to the park instead of their lame bus/tram thing

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 8:35 PM
BANNED

I hadn’t noticed, but there is a ring of development around Griffith Park: Silver Lake, Brand in Glendale, Disney Campus in Glendale, Burbank studios, Universal, Hollywood, and back to Vermont north of Sunset. Must be the hills.

djm: you're probably right, but cutting back on parking or traffic mitigation in the Valley is not going to help get any of this approved. I foresee plenty of sound and fury over this one.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
I wonder if some transit between Universal Red Line, Burbank, Disney campus, Brand and continuing to DT LA makes any sense? Only about 10 miles and there are real employment and entertainment destinations at each end.
How about something like this:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.362206&z=12

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 12:26 AM
BANNED

Well, I don't really want to fight over this, but that's a good bit longer, goes through a lot of suburb, leaves out Glendale and DT altogether. Plus you have the usual SFV antipathy to mass transit.

My version is shorter and mostly goes through DT, Glendale, Burbank and only a bit of the densest part of the Valley. Of course, Glendale and Burbank may have NIMBY issues as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations