HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

12 East 37th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 6:16 PM

Smile NEW YORK | 12 EAST 37th ST | 700 FT |65 FLOORS

Quote:
A tall, slender condo tower designed by Perkins+Will is headed for East 37th Street. The design for the tower, which is bisected by five open-air gardens, debuted in Cannes, France as part of MIPIM, "an international property event," where it won an award. The developer is the Turkish firm Nef, which is part of Timur Holding, and the building is set to rise 65 stories and more than 700 feet. This is Nef's first project in New York. The plans for the building have been so under wraps that even the press team for Perkins+Will did not know the address of the site (they are getting back to us), and a variety of Google searches provided nothing in the way of past coverage, so this project is quite the surprise.

A press release touting the award included two renderings, plus a detailed description of the design. "Emerging from its shimmering, angled curtain wall, the building is organized with five clusters of shared amenity and park spaces for residents to enjoy, at specific intervals along the tower's rise. This is a marked departure from other condominium towers, which use small exterior balconies or, in some cases, cluster all shared spaces in one area."

The press release really hates on the "unusable balconies" found in other New York towers:

The five open-air gardens, for example, are arranged as a series of overlapping, angled, and diverse spaces all within easy reach -- four stories maximum – from any given condominium unit. "The idea is to create a new kind of communal ecosystem of social relationships within a thin tower design," says Scott Allen, an associate architect and designer with Perkins+Will. "Rather than giving residents small, almost unusable balconies as seen in many towers, they will enjoy big community terraces that are the kind of social and interactive spaces in high demand today."
Each community space features a variety of amenities, from event rooms, a chef's table, private yoga studio, art room, exterior Jacuzzi, fitness room, terraced gardens, an outdoor cinema, observatory, and at the tower's top level, an infinity pool and roof terrace garden. Wind speeds, which can be high in upper floors of tall buildings are controlled by architectural screening and outdoor space configuration

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...2.57.00-PM.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...2.56.19-PM.jpg

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...medium=twitter

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 6:39 PM

Coruscant here we come.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 6:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Two 700+ in just two days and a 450 footer today for 493 Eleventh Avenue.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 9:02 PM
Show me the blueprints

Anyone know what this ones footprint is?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 9:11 PM

This one looks to be at Madison Ave. and 37th St.

Also, it's described as "over 700 ft.". At 65 floors, and going by the renderings, it looks closer to 900 ft., at least.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 12:03 AM
don't *meddle*...

Looks good, and I like the proximity to the King. Adress should be 8 East 37th Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Coruscant here we come.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=894
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...ostcount=15528 --> last pic.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:47 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think this is the spot:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7500...rqwc2cAdGA!2e0

This will be a pretty thin one.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 1:29 PM
Show me the blueprints

^No I think it's 2 doors down because in the rendering you see that the red brick building is in front of the tower. I'm not sure how to link to a google street view but I was looking at it last night and the building is quite deserving of replacement.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 1:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This one looks to be at Madison Ave. and 37th St.

Also, it's described as "over 700 ft.". At 65 floors, and going by the renderings, it looks closer to 900 ft., at least.

Yes, it's likely between 800 or 900 ft.

Anyway, the Empire State Building is getting a gang of new friends.

A stroll through GoogleMaps reveals 6 E. 37th...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 13, 2015 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 3:13 PM
New Yorker for life

http://rew-online.com/2015/03/12/tur...al-conference/

Turkish firm’s 37th Street skyscraper lauded at international conference

March 12, 2014

Quote:
The design of East 37th Street Residential Tower, a new Manhattan high-rise conceived by the New York office of global architecture and design firm Perkins+Will, has been unveiled on the occasion of a major international honor.

The new slender, 65-story building currently in design has been recognized this year with a MIPIM Architectural Review Future Projects Award in the Tall Buildings category, the firm’s third award of this kind.

.....This latest announcement of the high-rise commission by developer Nef of Turkey – and the award – showcases the firm’s approach to urban architecture, with a concept specifically tailored to the Midtown Manhattan context and the client’s unique brand.

Emerging from its shimmering, angled curtain wall, the building is organized with five clusters of shared amenity and park spaces for residents to enjoy, at specific intervals along the tower’s rise.

This is a marked departure from other condominium towers, which use small exterior balconies or, in some cases, cluster all shared spaces in one area.

“In this way, the design of the Midtown Residential Tower creates five unique but interconnected blocks of social and community zones to foster a vertical urban community,” said Robert Goodwin, FAIA, Design Director for the New York office of Perkins+Will. “This adds a diverse urban landscape and various mixtures of city life to high-rise living, a dynamic and sustainable departure from typical condominium developments.”

“This New York project is also our first to introduce our brand Foldhome abroad, a symbol of lifestyles steeped with high-quality design,” said the Nef Board Member, Erden Timur. “The design is based on life in Manhattan and the needs of the people, and it aims to bring residents a breath of fresh air and more opportunities to socialize. Turkey and Nef are proud to unveil this design and concept, a true first in the real estate industry.”

According to Perkins+Will, the East 37th Street Residential Tower also integrates a number of environmentally sensitive elements and techniques to improve the quality of city life.

The five open-air gardens, for example, are arranged as a series of overlapping, angled, and diverse spaces all within easy reach — four stories maximum – from any given condominium unit.

“The idea is to create a new kind of communal ecosystem of social relationships within a thin tower design,” said Scott Allen, an associate architect and designer with Perkins+Will. “Rather than giving residents small, almost unusable balconies as seen in many towers, they will enjoy big community terraces that are the kind of social and interactive spaces in high demand today.”

Each community space features a variety of amenities, from event rooms, a chef’s table, private yoga studio, art room, exterior Jacuzzi, fitness room, terraced gardens, an outdoor cinema, observatory, and at the tower’s top level, an infinity pool and roof terrace garden.

Wind speeds, which can be high in upper floors of tall buildings are controlled by architectural screening and outdoor space configuration. The structure and organization of the tower are equally innovative. Aimed at a completely flexible and adaptable floor plate, the entire structural system is shifted to the exterior perimeter and arranged in a thin, 17-inch by 19-inch steel diagrid with a concrete core.

This hybrid steel-and-concrete structure allows for flexibility in unit layout and reduces the overall thickness of the interior elevator core by about 50 percent, said Goodwin.

It also eliminates the need for corner columns and allows a slender diagrid size of less than two feet, giving the developers a highly economical response way to integrate the exterior glass curtain wall.

In a win for the client, said Allen, the exterior area for each terrace does not incur a penalty against the building’s overall zoned floor-to-area ratio, or FAR.

“This is the first project in Manhattan by a famous Turkish developer,” said Cagri Kanver, Turkey and CIS Regional Director for Perkins+Will. “Nef has a unique concept for residential development in Istanbul and Europe.”

The MIPIM Awards organizers received more than 2,400 submissions from 22 countries, from which 155 projects and products have been earned the prestigious honors.

The 2015 honors for East 37th Street Residential Tower are from MIPIM, an international real estate organization, in conjunction with the influential London magazine The Architectural Review, to “celebrate excellence in un-built or incomplete projects spanning across 12 categories” from around the world.

This year’s award is the third such MIPIM award for Perkins+Will in six years, which has also won the same Future Project Award honors for its Sail Tower hotel and residential project in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia in 2009 and the Al-Birr Foundation Headquarters in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in 2010.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 9:10 PM

I think me likey.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 9:17 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Two 700+ in just two days and a 450 footer today for 493 Eleventh Avenue.
Exciting stuff for NYC. Congrats

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 3:51 AM

The address for this tower is 12 East 37th Street, per the architects.

Mods, please change title to 12 East 37th St.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 3:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah like I thought. It's a terrible little building - the universe will be a better place without it.

I hope the new towers' streetwall will at least be flush up until the height of its neighbor on the corner of Madison.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The address for this tower is 12 East 37th Street, per the architects.

Mods, please change title to 12 East 37th St.
Hi, Crawford.

This is definitely 12-14, but where do you see the architect's confirmation of that? I'd like to see more news about this tower. I hate that those little pieces of junk that infest this site.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 4:20 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

open air in our weather? hmm. it will be interesting to see how that goes on those floors as time goes by. it looks like this will be pretty thin too if that is the correct site.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 9:38 PM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Yeah like I thought. It's a terrible little building - the universe will be a better place without it.

I hope the new towers' streetwall will at least be flush up until the height of its neighbor on the corner of Madison.
Sounds like you have a strong opinion. However that is all it is, an opinion. Stating that, "the universe would be a better place without it" seems like you speak for the universe and all of us inhabitants as well. Unfortunately, opinions are exactly the opposite. Views expressed by individuals do not necessarily reflect upon the majority.

Next time, before you decide that all of us hate it (ie. The universe), please understand that your views are your own. As I have observed, it seems like most of those who have seen this like it, including myself to be honest.

So without a complete beratement of the proposal, next time you might want to express the actual reasoning behind your non-support of a proposal rather than throw insults without reason.

Cheers.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 10:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
Sounds like you have a strong opinion. However that is all it is, an opinion. Stating that, "the universe would be a better place without it" seems like you speak for the universe and all of us inhabitants as well. Unfortunately, opinions are exactly the opposite. Views expressed by individuals do not necessarily reflect upon the majority.

Next time, before you decide that all of us hate it (ie. The universe), please understand that your views are your own. As I have observed, it seems like most of those who have seen this like it, including myself to be honest.

So without a complete beratement of the proposal, next time you might want to express the actual reasoning behind your non-support of a proposal rather than throw insults without reason.

Cheers.
Holy cow man! Misunderstanding of the century apparently!?!

I'm talking about the existing 4 story building, a structure with no redeeming qualities and won't be missed, NOT the new proposal which I think looks quite promising.

You really put a lot of effort into that post. Too bad you didn't try that hard to understand my fairly easy to understand comment before responding to it. Out of chill pills?

Last edited by Busy Bee; Mar 15, 2015 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 1:11 AM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:06 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Damn, I really like it. Also, looks like a solid 900 footer in that rendering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive