HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 2:15 AM

The PhillyYIMBY article headline is (surprise!) incredibly misleading. If you read the body of the article they’re still 6 floors from topping out.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 3:01 AM

It states nearly topped out because in the previous update the building was a few stories high, and in the next update (which will take place within the next two months) the building should most definitely be topped by then. And 14 out of 20 stories is pretty close to topping out for how fast this building is going up, and the article does also state that the setbacks and terraces are starting to form

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
It states nearly topped out because in the previous update the building was a few stories high, and in the next update (which will take place within the next two months) the building should most definitely be topped by then. And 14 out of 20 stories is pretty close to topping out for how fast this building is going up, and the article does also state that the setbacks and terraces are starting to form
14 is closer to only halfway there(10) than it is to topped it out (20).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 2:52 AM
i heart philly

Thanks for your photos, TK. I look forward to your next set.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Did the design for this change? The rendering on the first page depicts the west side of the building with bump outs or cantilevers (not sure the right term) every few floors. As it is now, the west side is completely flat. I hope that aspect of the design didn't get value engineered out, I thought it looked super cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 Level View Post
That is a really good observation. Compare the original renderings. (first posts from page 1 of this thread) to the CDR renderings from January 2020 (page 5 of this thread). The west side of the building is much more flat than the original renderings depicted. Now I am not sure what to expect based on what we are seeing from the current pictures which look like a tall flat wall.
Yeah, this has changed significantly. If you're looking at page 1 you're going to be disappointed. The first setback should be at the 13th floor which is about where they are now.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 1:19 AM
Philly Pholly

They removed the expensive parts.
Bait and switch

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 2:59 AM

Original:

vs:

Wouldn't call it a bait and switch. They probably just realized that that little setback only adds cost and serves basically no purpose. In fact, in other original renderings, it was barely even there. The larger setbacks on both sides of the building are still there.

Still a great looking tower IMO.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 5:25 AM

Hmm. A big change in practice is that the original design had a terrace on three different floors. Now both of the remaining terraces are on the same floor. It's a lot less visually interesting, but it looks like they'll have more square footage.

I can't tell if this is just me, but the gray brick looks flatter against the glass as well. In the first render you can see it sticks out far enough that you can see wood accent trimming inside on the edges. Hopefully the second render is just low quality, because it'll be a shame if the facade also loses some depth.

Last edited by PurpleWhiteOut; Sep 28, 2021 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

Wouldn't call it a bait and switch. They probably just realized that that little setback only adds cost and serves basically no purpose. In fact, in other original renderings, it was barely even there. The larger setbacks on both sides of the building are still there.
(emphasis mine)

Strongly disagree with this. I'm still glad this being built, but it's gone from a showcase building to more of a typical office midtower with awkward massing.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 2:06 PM

The staggered terraces, and especially how they created the cantilevered brick sections of the tower, were, in my opinion the reason why the design was good. Filling in the most prominent of those terraces simply to add square feet and save money distracts from what was a good design and ruins the effect a bit.

It sort of reminds me of what happened with Two Liberty Place back in the day when they added that huge chunk on the side and turned the slender square tower into a bloated rectangle.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 2:16 PM
Chris

Agree, whether we call it bait & switch or design adjustment, it knocked this building down a tier in terms of standing out. It's now (more or less) a modern take of the Penn Center box buildings.

Is there any info (might be secretive) of the cost different between the flat façade and cantilever? I know its expensive, but I cannot imagine it would hurt Morgan Lewis's bottom-line.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 2:18 PM

It's the Chinatown tower effect but not as severe.

From this:

to this:

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
(emphasis mine)

Strongly disagree with this. I'm still glad this being built, but it's gone from a showcase building to more of a typical office midtower with awkward massing.

When I said it served no purpose, I meant for the tenants. I totally agree that the original design was more bold.

I still don't think that this is a boring glass box. Let's reserve at least some judgement until the tower is mostly complete. There's still a cantilever at ground level that adds to the design.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 12:00 AM

I don't like the new design as much, but it's still my favorite project going on in Philly right now. I like the randomness of the design and the fact that it fills in one of the many parking lots in that area.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
When I said it served no purpose, I meant for the tenants.
Well, like I said earlier, there's not only one less balcony, but they're less evenly distributed. They're all on the same floor now instead of being across three separate floors. This means less departments have their own casual hangout/lunch space, and every employee will have to go to the same floor for some outdoor space. Not that it's the end of the world, but especially today, having well-distributed outdoor space is a nice amenity

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 11:39 PM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 9:55 PM

Brick veneer going up at ground level. Looks fantastic.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 10:41 PM

You can see this now in the Laurel webcam:

https://www.thelaurelrittenhouse.com/live-feed/

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 10:53 PM
BANNED

I was driving past this today on 76E and it’s looking good!!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromPhilly View Post
I was driving past this today on 76E and it’s looking good!!
I drove into the city this weekend for dinner and I wasn't expecting to see it from this viewpoint. Nice surprise

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive