cle/west village/shaolin

nyc
ytd murders as of 3/19/17

2017: 55
2016: 63
chg: -12.7%

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 1:25 PM
Meh

1 dead - NEW DETAILS: Police: Man fatally shot in North Austin, suspect still on the loose - 3/26

2017 Austin Metro Murders

| Austin 6 | Travis Co. 10 | Bastrop Co. 0 | Caldwell Co. 0 | Hays Co. 3 | Williamson Co. 1 | Metro 14 |

Metro totals:
Shooting - 11
Stabbing - 2
Strangled - 0
Suffocation - 0
Throwing (of child) - 0
Beating - 0
Vehicular - 1
Blunt force trauma - 0
Unlisted cause

Austin totals:
Downtown - 0
Central Austin - 0
East Austin - 2
North Austin - 3
Northeast Austin - 0
Northwest Austin - 0
South Austin - 1
Southeast Austin - 0
Southwest Austin - 0
West Austin - 0

Victims
Male - 9
Female - 5
Unlisted - 0

| Jan 1 | Feb 6 | Mar 7 | Apr 0 | May 0 | Jun 0 | Jul 0 | Aug 0 | Sep 0 | Oct 0 | Nov 0 | Dec 0 |

-

| Mon 0 | Tue 0 | Wed 5 | Thur 4 | Fri 1 | Sat 1 | Sun 3 |

-

Austin Metro Murder cases
Code:
1 dead - Sheriff: Woman killed daughter, 5, in one of Hays County’s ‘worst’ cases - 1/5

1 dead - Police: Alcohol possibly involved in South Austin fatal shooting Saturday - 2/4

1 dead - Man accused of hitting woman twice with car in North Austin charged with murder - 2/5

1 dead - Victim in fatal Round Rock shooting was veteran, loving dad, neighbor says - 2/8

1 dead - Woman found dead in Hays County after apparent disturbance with husband, deputies say - 2/9

1 dead - 2 Hays County shooting deaths in 5 hours; 1 case still unsolved - 2/9

1 dead - Authorities: Bastrop kidnapping ends in fatal shooting of woman; shooter turns gun on self - 2/15

1 dead - Man found stabbed at East Austin bus stop - 3/10

1 dead - NEW DETAILS: Man accused of murder after shooting in North Austin on Sunday, police say - 3/12

1 dead - Gang, homicide investigators seeking shooter after man killed in East Austin  - 3/15

2 dead - NEW DETAILS: Authorities ID suspect in double homicide near Lake Travis  - 3/15

1 dead - Shooter on the run after homicide near Wells Branch, North Austin, officials say - 3/16

1 dead - NEW DETAILS: Police: Man fatally shot in North Austin, suspect still on the loose - 3/26
Pending cases

Austin area population

City: 912,791 (July 1, 2014 estimate) - source: US Census Bureau
Metro: 2,000,860 (July 1, 2015 estimate) - source: US Census Bureau
Travis County: 1,176,558 (2015 estimate) - source: US Census Bureau

Area - City: 297 square miles (2010) - US Census Bureau
Area - Metro: 4,285 square miles - Wikipedia
Area - Travis County: 1,023 square miles - Wikipedia

-

Previous years

2016 - 39
2015 - 19
2014 - 31
2013 - 25
2012 - 32
2011 - 28
2010 - 31
2009 - 23
2008 - 24
2007 - 30
2006 - 20

-

| Austin 3 | Travis Co. 3 | Bastrop Co. 0 | Caldwell Co. 0 | Hays Co. 1 | Williamson Co. 0 | Metro 4 | - 3/26/2016

| Austin 6 | Travis Co. 10 | Bastrop Co. 0 | Caldwell Co. 0 | Has Co. 3 | Williamson Co. 1 | Metro 14 | - 3/26/2017

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 7, 2017 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:52 PM
Burming Hammer

birmimgham up to 28 already. sigh...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:26 PM

Columbus is up to 27 now. This is not a good trend-to have nearly 30 murders in the first three months of the year before the weather even really gets warm and people are out and about more.

*I can't find any sources for any up-to-date info on Indianapolis.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emprise du Lion View Post
To a degree they did. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe arrests were down and so was the confiscation of illegal guns.

As for Rahm, he's probably more worried about his poll numbers more than anything else. After all, it was alleged that he sat on the Laquan McDonald video so that he could win reelection. Had the video been released prior to the election, Rahm would have likely lost.

In all honesty though, beyond a few high profile killings last year, the vast majority of the increased homicides happened in the neighborhoods that were already prone to them. This meant life went on as usual in the majority of the city, and not a lot of people cared. That's why you could have multiple people dead in a day in neighborhoods like Englewood and Austin and no one would so much as blink on the North Side, but then someone got killed near the Art Institute and *then* people started freaking out. Only the murders in unusual locations shocked the city.
I see. Per the wiki, it says Chicago had a clearance rate of 70% in the early 90s, going back that far, it was nearly 1000 murders a year. wow! fast forward to 2016 and the homicide clearance rate is 21%....I think the cops just gave up. As far as Im concerned, the plight of "urban" America now rests in their own neighborhoods and in democrats' hands. Their narrative is cops are out to get you and the number of forceful incidents is increasing, while across the board, gun violence at the police and civilian level already peaked two decades ago. This recent uptick in homicide is definitely a fallout from events of the last two years but its not indicative of a overall trend of police brutality, but more like a hyper magnification of events thru the internet and mass media. We've entered some interesting political times but many things are intertwined. Ill be curious to see the federal response to some of the upward trends in the Great Lakes and the NE. Clearly many middle class, black northerners are not waiting for things to get better and are voting with their feet and moving to more stable locations. I would too if I had the mean and lived in a neighborhood like Austin or the outer south side.

Last edited by pdxtex; Mar 27, 2017 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
I see. Per the wiki, it says Chicago had a clearance rate of 70% in the early 90s, going back that far, it was nearly 1000 murders a year. wow! fast forward to 2016 and the homicide clearance rate is 21%....I think the cops just gave up. As far as Im concerned, the plight of "urban" America now rests in their own neighborhoods and in democrats' hands. Their narrative is cops are out to get you and the number of forceful incidents is increasing, while across the board, gun violence at the police and civilian level already peaked two decades ago. This recent uptick in homicide is definitely a fallout from events of the last two years but its not indicative of a overall trend of police brutality, but more like a hyper magnification of events thru the internet and mass media. We've entered some interesting political times but many things are intertwined. Ill be curious to see the federal response to some of the upward trends in the Great Lakes and the NE. Clearly many middle class, black northerners are not waiting for things to get better and are voting with their feet and moving to more stable locations. I would too if I live in a neighborhood like Austin or the outer south side.
Chicago's homicide clearance rate has been horrific for awhile now, if I'm not mistaken. It didn't have anything in particular to do with 2016, although 2016 might be the lowest it's been in awhile.

The fact of that matter is that the relationship between CPD and the community most affected by Chicago's homicide rate, Chicago's African American community, is significantly broken. People would rather not talk than deal with CPD. Chicago does have an awful trend of police brutality though. The city pays out millions every year to settle many cases. It's widely publicized. That's why the city quickly to moved to give Laquan McDonald's family $5 million before they even bothered to bring a suit against the city. The city wanted it buried and gone, but obviously that's not how things played out.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 11:29 PM

that didn't make much press out west, but I read about it. I don't have a solution for gung ho rookies. maybe better psych evals or pairing them with a older cop to show them the ropes. sounded like homie just rolled up and came out of the squad car, guns blazing....nuts....

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emprise du Lion View Post
Chicago's homicide clearance rate has been horrific for awhile now, if I'm not mistaken. It didn't have anything in particular to do with 2016, although 2016 might be the lowest it's been in awhile.

The fact of that matter is that the relationship between CPD and the community most affected by Chicago's homicide rate, Chicago's African American community, is significantly broken. People would rather not talk than deal with CPD. Chicago does have an awful trend of police brutality though. The city pays out millions every year to settle many cases. It's widely publicized. That's why the city quickly to moved to give Laquan McDonald's family $5 million before they even bothered to bring a suit against the city. The city wanted it buried and gone, but obviously that's not how things played out.
Yes quite the police brutality with Laquan... a juvenile delinquent gang member who has a criminal history walking erratically in the middle of a city street during traffic while high on PCP with a knife in his hand,.. and his ghetto ass family gets 5 Million?!...my god you have to love this country i tell you..You got it right,.Chicago's African american community is broken alright..broken within themselves. I feel when there is a wild fire sometimes you just have to let it burn itself out then pour water on it... That's what Chicago must do for these south and west sides neighborhoods unfortunately...let them burn out

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:39 AM

Toronto 2.9 million is at 13.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Yes quite the police brutality with Laquan... a juvenile delinquent gang member who has a criminal history walking erratically in the middle of a city street during traffic while high on PCP with a knife in his hand,.. and his ghetto ass family gets 5 Million?!...my god you have to love this country i tell you..You got it right,.Chicago's African american community is broken alright..broken within themselves. I feel when there is a wild fire sometimes you just have to let it burn itself out then pour water on it... That's what Chicago must do for these south and west sides neighborhoods unfortunately...let them burn out
I must have been sleeping.

Wasn't that the plan at least since the dawn of the great migration? Let it burn...

It may be time for a kinder gentler... oh no!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 7:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Toronto 2.9 million is at 13.
Glad u said 2.9 Million that is how Big Toronto is now isn't it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
The U.S. is supposed to be a democracy, with human rights and rule of law. You don't let cops execute random citizens. The fact that the cops murdered a dude who happened to be high (not that the cops knew) has nothing to do with anything.

I hope his "ghetto ass" family gets 500 million. Maybe next time the mayor won't cover up murdering cops.

And your entire post reeks of virulent racism. You are exactly the problem when it comes to police brutality, race relations and segregation. Absolutely deplorable.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The U.S. is supposed to be a democracy, with human rights and rule of law. You don't let cops execute random citizens. The fact that the cops murdered a dude who happened to be high (not that the cops knew) has nothing to do with anything.

I hope his "ghetto ass" family gets 500 million. Maybe next time the mayor won't cover up murdering cops.

And your entire post reeks of virulent racism. You are exactly the problem when it comes to police brutality, race relations and segregation. Absolutely deplorable.
500 million is a lot of drug money. They can do quite well laying down their trade foundation and building relationships.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 5:36 PM
BANNED

http://homicidecanada.com/winnipeg-2...e-victim-list/

A Shooting & a House-fire has Winnipeg @ 7!

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/03..._15411202.html
^Story

Winnipeg Population:
705,244 (2016 Canada Census).

Metro Population
811,874 (July 1st, 2016)

Previous Years:
2016: 24
2015: 25
2014: 27
2013: 21
2012: 27

Last edited by Tosin007; Apr 6, 2017 at 2:46 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Ha!...execute random citizens huh?.. so wielding a knife in the middle of a busy roadway and acting erratic is a random execution by a police officer ?.i love how your logic works...you will spend more energy fighting defending criminals (just because there black) then the innocent lives that are killed by there own...your attitude and mentality is the enabling factor why things dont change...you cant face reality and fact( cause your embarrassed by it)..you would rather throw the race card because its an easy smokescreen to cover the real issue. Your deplorable because you sympathize with the criminal rather than the people who work hard and obey laws who never get a rally or protest when a violent act happens to them.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:55 PM

Another day, another two homicides. Columbus up to 29, more than half of what New York has with one tenth of the population, and it is not even April yet smh. This is not a good year at all so far for the city homicide-wise.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/2017032...es-of-injuries

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:36 PM

As of 3/28/2017, Philadelphia is at 72, up 14% from the previous year.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:48 PM

SF is at 15 after shootings in the Tenderloin and Oceanview.

edit: All three victims of the oceanview shooting were innocent bystanders, and the person who died was an elderly lady who was about to walk in her front door. Apparently the shooting was part of the decades-long war between dudes from Oceanview (known as Lakeview among locals) and the Sunnydale projects. It's the fourth shooting at that intersection in the past 6 months, and the third murder. Lakeview had calmed down a lot, but if this keeps up, it's almost gonna be like the 1990's again.

Last edited by tech12; Mar 30, 2017 at 7:26 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
Glad u said 2.9 Million that is how Big Toronto is now isn't it.
I looked it up, because it sounded a little high. Estimated 2016 population is 2.81 million, but the city (or is it the GTA?) grows by about 100,000 new residents annually, so it might now be 2.9.
Homicide number is pretty typical for this time of year; certainly better than it was at this time last year. Murders seem to happen in spates for some reason. Nothing for weeks, then several over the course of a few days. Inexplicable.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I looked it up, because it sounded a little high. Estimated 2016 population is 2.81 million, but the city (or is it the GTA?) grows by about 100,000 new residents annually, so it might now be 2.9.
Homicide number is pretty typical for this time of year; certainly better than it was at this time last year. Murders seem to happen in spates for some reason. Nothing for weeks, then several over the course of a few days. Inexplicable.
Yeah I thought it would be 2.9 Million by now too..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions