HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 5:10 PM
BANNED

^probably nothing more than speculation. Perhaps the Hyde needs a huge state grant to proceed as well. Maybe if he starts closing on units and retiring debt at One Riverside he will able to do something here. He has a history of stalled or never started projects in Camden, Ardmore and now Philly.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 5:27 PM

Tbh, I think that this project may be more likely to happen (or at least happen sooner) than SLS. Besides Cambria, is there any other hotel under construction that isn't positioning itself towards the upper end of the hospitality market? Hyde may fill a void in that market, if one exists. With the W, 1801 Vine, and smaller hotels like The Study, can the market continue to sustain units positioned towards the upper portion of the market?

I'm still hopeful that SLS will happen, however. It may be reduced in scale, but I would rather have that than an open pit in Center City.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 12:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Tbh, I think that this project may be more likely to happen (or at least happen sooner) than SLS. Besides Cambria, is there any other hotel under construction that isn't positioning itself towards the upper end of the hospitality market? Hyde may fill a void in that market, if one exists. With the W, 1801 Vine, and smaller hotels like The Study, can the market continue to sustain units positioned towards the upper portion of the market?

I'm still hopeful that SLS will happen, however. It may be reduced in scale, but I would rather have that than an open pit in Center City.
a best western opened in an existing building on Vine street near 12th. Definitely not high end. I don't think Aloft is really high end either.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 1:28 PM

Aloft and Best Western would be considered towards the lower end of the scale. It's the main part of a city we're talking about so prices for all hotels vary greatly. Booking close in even the lower end properties can be expensive and booking far out you can sometimes grab a room at a Westin, Marriott, etc. for just $25-50 more than a Best Western or Days Inn.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 9:51 PM

28 story condo proposed now:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-at-broad-pine

Quote:
At a Washington Square West Civic Association zoning meeting tonight, we've learned that representatives from Dranoff Properties will be presenting a plan to build a 28 story condo building with 56 units, underground parking, and retail on the first floor at this corner. We assume that this will mean the demolition of the existing building, not that the developer will be building a new structure while keeping the facade of the existing building, but we honestly aren't sure at this point. As was the case with the similar One Riverside project, completed recently on the banks of the Schuylkill, Cecil Baker + Partners will be doing the design work. And... that's all the info we have for right now.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Walked by this site today... Sumo Sushi has a sign up that they're relocating on September 25th

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Increased size with condos? SLS is DOA.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Increased size with condos? SLS is DOA.
This tower is Dranoff, and he'd always had it planned as a cheaper alternative to SLS. Perhaps he's showing investors that a location like this can work, which would encourage them to invest in SLS. Just some speculation on my part.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 12:10 PM

I wonder if the original rendering for the Hyde still applies. I actually liked it a bit more than the SLS anyway.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 1:12 PM

I like the Hyde design and hope it isn't cheapened; but it's not as sleek as SLS.

While I like the height increase and can't imagine push back at this location, I just hope that Dranoff doesn't demolish this garage before he has all of his ducks in a row. With a Starbucks, the corner has some ground floor activity. This stretch of South Broad already has an empty lot thanks to Dranoff's over-ambitious dreams - it can't afford another one.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 2:12 PM

Smart move by Dranoff. His struggles getting a hotel off the ground in SLS probably forced the change. Dranoff is also down on the apartment market lately, and focusing more on Condos.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Can-do-Carl as we call him. I don't think he's proposed a project yet that hasn't gotten off the ground.
well now! I guess there's still some hope out there in Carl land.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 12:41 AM

I hope they keep the exterior design similar. I'm a big fan.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 2:28 PM

Hotel out, 28-story condo tower in at Broad and Pine

Quote:
Plans for the northeast corner of Broad and Pine have changed significantly, swapping out a 23-story hotel for a 28-story residential tower with 56 condos and a 92-car underground parking garage.

Developer Carl Dranoff and architect Cecil Baker have teamed up again after One Riverside on the Schuylkill, and are planning to build a by-right, 361-foot-tall condo building on the corner of Broad and Pine. Currently, the corner is home to a Starbucks and parking garage.

Baker and representatives for Dranoff Properties presented their plans to the Washington Square West Civic Association on Tuesday night ahead of a September 5 Civic Design Review.

When Dranoff first presented plans for the site in 2015, the proposal called for a 78-room boutique hotel and apartment building. But Dranoff Properties says the new proposal, which is less dense and offers for sale condos, will provide a “less transitory” population and less traffic congestion surrounding the neighborhood.

The design has also changed substantially, with Baker creating a skinnier, taller, and metal-clad building—“something that was not a glass tower,” he said. The taller tower is the result of the 11-foot, 9-inch tall ceilings in each condo unit, which will average about 2,500 square feet.

The redesign also calls for retail on the ground floor and an amenity level on the second level. Watts Street, which sits behind the proposed condo tower, will be widened in order to allow cars to drive in and out of the underground parking garage.

At the neighborhood meeting, one member asked why the condo tower needed nearly two parking spaces for every unit, especially given the walkability of the neighborhood.

Baker said in his experience, many luxury condo residents have more than one car and more often than not use the parking garages for storage.

Once SLS is complete, Dranoff Properties will begin demolition on the current structure at Broad and Pine and build the condo tower from the ground up. Construction is estimated to take about 28 months.

But the developer does have a deadline for the Broad and Pine tower. The CMX-5 zoning variance it acquired in 2015 includes a sunset provision that requires construction permits to be in hand by 2020. If the SLS hotel is delayed again, Dranoff Properties said it would consider starting construction on the Broad and Pine tower first in order to meet the variance’s 2020 deadline.

However, the team stressed that the project is still in the early stages, so it could not provide any concrete timelines.

The design proposal now goes to the Civic Design Review committee on September 5.
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/8/23/...ff-cecil-baker

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 2:39 PM

^
The "once SLS is complete" reference made me go to the full article, which said:

"Dranoff Properties said the current plan is to begin work on SLS first, followed by the Broad and Pine condo tower. SLS construction should begin by the end of the year or early 2018, as long as the developer is awarded its requested $19 million RACP state grant. The construction timeline on this 45-story tower is approximately two and a half years."

What's he smoking?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^
The "once SLS is complete" reference made me go to the full article, which said:

"Dranoff Properties said the current plan is to begin work on SLS first, followed by the Broad and Pine condo tower. SLS construction should begin by the end of the year or early 2018, as long as the developer is awarded its requested $19 million RACP state grant. The construction timeline on this 45-story tower is approximately two and a half years."

What's he smoking?
How/why did no one press him on what the plan is when he doesn't receive the $19m grant?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
How/why did no one press him on what the plan is when he doesn't receive the $19m grant?
Good question, but that was not the topic of the meeting. I say put an ugly memorial to the old buildings there.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 5:24 PM

It's worth quoting the article more fully:

Quote:
Dranoff Properties said the current plan is to begin work on SLS first, followed by the Broad and Pine condo tower. SLS construction should begin by the end of the year or early 2018, as long as the developer is awarded its requested $19 million RACP state grant. The construction timeline on this 45-story tower is approximately two and a half years.

Once SLS is complete, Dranoff Properties will begin demolition on the current structure at Broad and Pine and build the condo tower from the ground up. Construction is estimated to take about 28 months.

But the developer does have a deadline for the Broad and Pine tower. The CMX-5 zoning variance it acquired in 2015 includes a sunset provision that requires construction permits to be in hand by 2020. If the SLS hotel is delayed again, Dranoff Properties said it would consider starting construction on the Broad and Pine tower first in order to meet the variance’s 2020 deadline.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 5:02 PM

Market shift pitches Dranoff toward condos on South Broad corner

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170824.html

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 1:11 PM
BANNED

so it seems that as the article stated the revised condo proposal will make it to next CDR meeting. It now appears on agenda, but without a link to the PDF so far.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals