HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:40 PM

Permits for 900 W Washington to begin construction were issued yesterday. A refresher of what this project looks like:

Source: DNAInfo Chicago

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:52 PM
The City

^ I don't like the ground floor treatment but otherwise I like this

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
doubt all "events" are created equal, can't imagine the Sky pull in much $. The league is supported by kids on field trips.
The WNBA's biggest supporter is the NBA who just hired them a new commissioner last year. If they can pull in 7000 people per game in Rosemont (that's a lot of field trips), they should come close to selling out every game downtown. I know I'll take my daughter to a few games since we can just walk there. Never would have done that out in the burbs.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
I spent a little time unsuccessfully trying to find the past articles that believed this would be a boondoggle. I am fairly certain they said that they would need 50 events per year to break even.

This announcement adds up to 40-43 basketball games per year.

Can they get 10 concerts and convention events? I'd be shocked if they couldn't.
wow I am actually shocked by their attendance numbers, 7k a game is no joke for WNBA

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:01 PM

I used to work at the UIC pavillion and they were lucky to fill 700 seats per game. That was years ago so it may have changed since then. But 7k is a long stretch to what they used to sell.But good for them if their filling up more seats.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:02 PM

North Branch rezone passes!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:14 PM
Small but Mighty

New article from Curbed about Sterling Bay's Finkl Steel Redevelopment plan-
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/7/26...-606-extension

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:37 PM

Nobu Hotel

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 6:41 PM
Development Shill

If they are getting 7k in Rosemont, they could very well start selling out games in the coming years being that Wintrust is what, 10.5k seats?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 8:27 PM

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...ving-back-city

The source for my numbers, BTW. This article also includes the payment amounts. There's a link to a Tribune article that shows the significant challenges the team faces, if you want a more balanced view.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 8:35 PM
Development Shill

^ because of how much money the NBA is making right now, there really is no concern for these budding WNBA franchises. The NBA execs will never let that ship sink, even if it causes them to go in the red for another 10 years before profits hit. Hell, the NBA only recently started having most teams make money. I'm sure they'll be patient

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:50 AM
Chicago

New Columbia student center - 728 S Wabash

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
New Columbia student center
July 26, 2017

Two mobile drill rigs on site at the same time

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
New article from Curbed about Sterling Bay's Finkl Steel Redevelopment plan-
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/7/26...-606-extension
The "renovated metra station" (sic) is included there at a barely pre-conceptual level, and I hope future plans create something great, but I do like the routing they've laid out for solving the 606 extension across the Metra tracks. (Maybe this has already been presented.) It's a long ascending ramp northwestward alongside the tracks; then it goes east along Cortland, and descends back to the normal 606 level along Besly back to the Bloomingdale alignment. I believe it doesn't even need to jog anywhere nearly as far north as Cortland to ascend to Metra overpass level; the overpass could be mid-block if it were allowed to slice through whatever new development is built between the tracks and Besly (it's a new multimodal parking garage in this diagram).

The diagram simultaneously mentions a "potential 606 tunnel under metra tracks", but I think that's a recipe for danger and could even derail momentum and funds for building the ramps and overpass. There already have been muggings along the 606, by people specifically waiting to mug bicyclists (e.g. earlier this week), so forget the expensive and questionable tunnel. Plus, overpasses are awesome because they afford new vistas, and overpasses over train tracks are even awesomer.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post

The diagram simultaneously mentions a "potential 606 tunnel under metra tracks", but I think that's a recipe for danger and could even derail momentum and funds for building the ramps and overpass. There already have been muggings along the 606, by people specifically waiting to mug bicyclists (e.g. earlier this week), so forget the expensive and questionable tunnel. Plus, overpasses are awesome because they afford new vistas, and overpasses over train tracks are even awesomer.
There are tons of tunnels all over town to access the lake front and with the number of people there are not many muggings... I don't see that as a valid concern, and who's to say you can't get mugged on a freakin bridge?

I can not imagine that a lengthy and frankly massive overpass would be any more cost efficient than a tunnel...

and yeah overpasses over train tracks are so cool, just look at all the fugly train tracks when you're walking to soldier field

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
There are tons of tunnels all over town to access the lake front and with the number of people there are not many muggings... I don't see that as a valid concern, and who's to say you can't get mugged on a freakin bridge?

I can not imagine that a lengthy and frankly massive overpass would be any more cost efficient than a tunnel...

and yeah overpasses over train tracks are so cool, just look at all the fugly train tracks when you're walking to soldier field
The perception alone that tunnels are dangerous is a problem, though. I've had to take a roundabout path to the Lake plenty of times because people with me don't wanna use the tunnels at night. The smells and graffiti that inevitably accumulate don't help either.

Plus, railroad tracks make great backdrops for selfies.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 4:48 PM

Part of the problem with many of the lakefront tunnels is that they have indirect entrances from access ramps that converge at right angles at the tunnel entrance. Thus it is not possible to see into the tunnel until one is down at the bottom of the ramps. A tunnel with more open view angles, which is good practice anyway when bikes and runners are involved, such as the one that passes under Lake Shore at Barry would not have the same perception.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Permits for 900 W Washington to begin construction were issued yesterday. A refresher of what this project looks like:

Source: DNAInfo Chicago
What is it with builders/architects refusing to design a building that is on a corner in the West Loop to actually address the street on BOTH sides. They seem to continuously design these as if they were mid block buidlings and create essentially a blank wall on one side. Guessing it's a cost thing but this would be so much better of a building if they carried the front design around the other side as well. Kind of makes the whole design lazy to me.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 1:39 PM
The City

So Chicago now tops the nation in breweries and downtown apartment construction from 2010-2016:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...27-column.html

So when certain forumers claim that Chicago's boom "is like what is happening in every other city", here is evidence to the contrary.

Anyhow, I thought it was cool that Chicago has nearly as many breweries as NY and LA combined. We hear all the stats about Chicago having more murders than those cities combined, but it's nice to read something positive for a change.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 1:41 PM
The City

^ From the article:

Quote:
Downtown Chicago, meanwhile, experienced the largest wave of apartment construction in the country from 2010 through 2016, with 10,937 new units. CoStar's definition of downtown includes an area roughly bounded by Lake Michigan, Chicago and Ashland avenues and 26th Street.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 2:15 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ From the article:
Weird. So the towers going up on Wells north of Chicago Ave don't count as their definition of "downtown?"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development