HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
West Campus towers are the bamboo of construction.
Yup. But if we are lucky, they have a nice facade that hides the bamboo.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
West Campus towers are the bamboo of construction.
The construction workers are eager to get above ground as the view is a lot better, as long as they don't accidentally walk off a floor with the distractions.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:32 PM

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:04 PM

Well that's getting there. Starting to get an idea of the impact it will have. I just want to add that our performing arts center, (Long Center) is UGLY!!! It resembles a high school auditorium built on a high school budget. If it wasn't for the original ring, it would be downright laughable. Such a piece of shit next to a gleaming and modern downtown.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:41 PM

Agreed.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:48 PM

I really miss Hooters.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Well that's getting there. Starting to get an idea of the impact it will have. I just want to add that our performing arts center, (Long Center) is UGLY!!! It resembles a high school auditorium built on a high school budget. If it wasn't for the original ring, it would be downright laughable. Such a piece of shit next to a gleaming and modern downtown.
damn.........G's salty today. Must be the cold front.

I agree to an extent. However, I do like that it was reused/recycled/repurposed....makes me feeeel good....like when I remember to use my compost bin. It was designed and built when Austin was WAYYYY less bougie. The Longs were/are the type of Austin benefactor we need LOADS more of to become a tier 1 city.

In my view, our civic leaders are in NO way prepared to lead us into the next 20 years. We need more patrons of the arts (mega rich folk who love ballet, opera, symphony, blues, etc) It's gunna take a shit load more like Keller buying the Saxon Pub to keep Austin cool. Michael Dell needs to step it up, like Mort and Bobbi have. ( i know, i know.... the Dell Children's, but still....the arts are a huge part of the soul of a city)

These types of folks need to push/pull/help our leaders solve the problems we face....with leadership (saying the things politicians can only say behind closed doors for instance), money, and vision. I do have hope for the arts, architecture and our future.

Bundle up G....its gunna be a long winter.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post

I agree to an extent. However, I do like that it was reused/recycled/repurposed....makes me feeeel good....like when I remember to use my compost bin. It was designed and built when Austin was WAYYYY less bougie. The Longs were/are the type of Austin benefactor we need LOADS more of to become a tier 1 city.

In my view, our civic leaders are in NO way prepared to lead us into the next 20 years. We need more patrons of the arts (mega rich folk who love ballet, opera, symphony, blues, etc) It's gunna take a shit load more like Keller buying the Saxon Pub to keep Austin cool. Michael Dell needs to step it up, like Mort and Bobbi have. ( i know, i know.... the Dell Children's, but still....the arts are a huge part of the soul of a city)

These types of folks need to push/pull/help our leaders solve the problems we face....with leadership (saying the things politicians can only say behind closed doors for instance), money, and vision. I do have hope for the arts, architecture and our future.

The main stage of the Long Center is named "Michael & Susan Dell Hall" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_C...erforming_Arts

The Dells do a lot for the arts in this city

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:

I agree to an extent. However, I do like that it was reused/recycled/repurposed....makes me feeeel good....like when I remember to use my compost bin.

I LOVE the cooler weather!! At least I didn't throw in my disdain for the shoebox stack behind it. I know its just the angle, but even though its nothing too special, it looks like 425 Riverside is going to completely cover up the One Texas Tower, one of the more tallish and decent looking highrises south of the river imo. 425 overall I give a B- mostly due to the appearance of the parking garage especially the southeast side. Long Center advise, paint the repurposed greenish blocks white, and paint some colorful murals on it, then flood light it at night, and for the brown box behind it, paint it the same dark grey that's on the front facade. The way the south shore area is shaping up, folks living on the northside will have an increasingly interesting view to the south, the final frontier...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:53 AM

Quote:

I agree with a lot of this. The lack of vocal and public support for the classical arts is kind of glaring. I think the fact that we're famous for being such a DIY city has excused a lot of nonpatronage at the Billionaire level. But COVID-times is the perfect time for deep pockets to step up. We're going to need to rebuild in ways we haven't even dreamed up yet. I'm hopeful The Money will be there when it's called upon.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
The main stage of the Long Center is named "Michael & Susan Dell Hall" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_C...erforming_Arts

The Dells do a lot for the arts in this city
naming a stage for the Dell's is the least I would expect from Michael Dell in supporting the arts. Look at tier one cities.....the support of the arts is OVER the top...even in cities like Cleveland, Cinci, Pittsburgh. Austin, not so much. Dell's name should be on all sorts of local philanthropic endeavors.

Dell Children's is special, I don't want to take away from that.

Andrew Carnegie once said, make money for the first half of your life and the second half...give it away. Carnegie is responsible for loads of public libraries across the country.
I expect more from our 2 or 3 billionaires in town.....a stage named after Dell....come on man.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:32 PM
World Traveler

I played at Carnegie back in high school and have been to several performances there since. Not another theater like it - acoustics are spot on!

That said, I don't hate the Long Center, especially considering the reuse of the tiles from the previous iteration. For Austin to not have more arts is surprising giving that it's a very eclectic city in so many ways. On a related note, we need some more museums as well, to beat that dead horse. With so many folks moving to Austin, hopefully there are a handful of well-to-do folks who want to contribute more. I would certainly give to something like that (though my donations might be a few zeros shy of the total need).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:16 AM

The Long Center and Bass Concert Hall serve Austin well where both provides the city with two large performing arts centers. Yes they not as grand like Houston’s Hobby Center however they help attract more events and performances over other cities with one PAC. The Zach Theatre fills in the gap for smaller but high visible productions which attract scouts from Broadway. Ballet Austin also has been growing bigger every year with more performances and higher quality.

I have seen the arts grow but I agree Austin needs a landmark arts museum greater than the Blanton. I was hoping back in 2014 when Detroit went bankrupt someone in Austin would buy the artwork they own and build a Guggenheim-like museum. Perhaps on a hilltop off of Loop 360 in resemblance to the one in California.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:01 PM
World Traveler

I can understand the draw of an art museum to the Loop 360 area due to the natural beauty, but I would personally hope for any significant museum to be built in the CBD.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I can understand the draw of an art museum to the Loop 360 area due to the natural beauty, but I would personally hope for any significant museum to be built in the CBD.
i wouldn't worry about it. it would definitely go near cbd. no major museum would survive in austin suburb...yet

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
The Long Center and Bass Concert Hall serve Austin well where both provides the city with two large performing arts centers. Yes they not as grand like Houston’s Hobby Center however they help attract more events and performances over other cities with one PAC. The Zach Theatre fills in the gap for smaller but high visible productions which attract scouts from Broadway. Ballet Austin also has been growing bigger every year with more performances and higher quality.

I have seen the arts grow but I agree Austin needs a landmark arts museum greater than the Blanton. I was hoping back in 2014 when Detroit went bankrupt someone in Austin would buy the artwork they own and build a Guggenheim-like museum. Perhaps on a hilltop off of Loop 360 in resemblance to the one in California.
I am very upset with the footprint of the long center. i think it's an outrageous use of space in an area desperately in need of more transit routes

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Agreed! I sometimes dream about the Irwin Center being replaced by a grand art museum after it's torn down, but I don't think that's part of the master plan. Where in the CBD do you imagine a new museum be built? I suppose somewhere along the Texas Mall could make sense

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 3:20 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
I am very upset with the footprint of the long center. i think it's an outrageous use of space in an area desperately in need of more transit routes
I agree it's a large footprint, but it also shares it with the Palmer Events Center (loading/unloading/prep area for trucks, etc., as well as the giant parking garage). This is, I think, largely due to the fact that it was built with cars in mind. The garage itself is oppressively broad along Barton Springs & S. 1st St... I think it absolutely could have been done better, even with parking. Unfortunately, I don't see it changing.

That said, future museums, performance halls, and other arts-related venues should take note and make improvements keeping pedestrians and transit in mind. Parking will have to be considered especially in the near-term given the realities of Austin, but it would be nice to design with the hope of improvements in that area in mind.

So, to take this back on track... What is the target completion date for 425 Riverside? They're moving in slow motion, but I don't know how it compares to the project plan.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
i agree it's a large footprint, but it also shares it with the palmer events center (loading/unloading/prep area for trucks, etc., as well as the giant parking garage). This is, i think, largely due to the fact that it was built with cars in mind. The garage itself is oppressively broad along barton springs & s. 1st st... I think it absolutely could have been done better, even with parking. Unfortunately, i don't see it changing.

Agree

so, to take this back on track... What is the target completion date for 425 riverside? They're moving in slow motion, but i don't know how it compares to the project plan.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 6:33 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Interesting. Is that the target or actual?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin